k versus k'

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ella Figueroa 2H

k versus k'

Postby Ella Figueroa 2H » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:12 pm

I wanted to know the difference between k versus k'? what's the difference between K and k (lower and upper case)?

Vincent Cao 2D

Re: k versus k'

Postby Vincent Cao 2D » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 pm

Ella Figueroa 2H wrote:I wanted to know the difference between k versus k'? what's the difference between K and k (lower and upper case)?

k is the forward rate in an equilibrium reaction, and k' is the reverse rate in an equilibrium reaction. K is the equilibrium constant which is Products over reactants after a long period of time/when equilibrium is reached, while k refers to rate. These two are a little confusing if you read too quickly through problems.

Maggie_Harned_3H

Postby Maggie_Harned_3H » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:15 pm

From my understanding k is the rate for a forward reaction and k' is the rate for a reverse reaction. Capital K is equilibrium constant or ratio of rate constants.

Sylvia Zhang 2L

Postby Sylvia Zhang 2L » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:16 pm

k is the rate constant for the forward reaction, and k' is the rate constant for the reverse reaction. K (uppercase) is the equilibrium constant, while k (lowercase) is used in kinetics as the rate constant of the reaction.

Natalie Inglis 2K

Postby Natalie Inglis 2K » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:19 pm

For k and k' (also sometimes written as k sub -1) k is in reference to the forward reaction rate constant, while k' is in reference to the reverse reaction rate constant. Capital K is the equilibrium constant of an equation. At equilibrium the forward rate = the reverse rate, so we can write that K = (k/k').

tristenaguinaldo

Postby tristenaguinaldo » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:22 pm

K refers to the equilibrium constant of a chemical reaction, which is a constant value that describes the ratio of product concentrations to reactant concentrations at equilibrium for a given reaction at a given temperature. k refers to the rate constant of a chemical reaction, which is a constant value that describes the rate at which a reaction proceeds at a given temperature. k also have units, while K doesn't. k is also dependent on initial concentrations of reactants and products, while K is dependent on temperature. k is considered the forward rate in an equilibrium reaction while k' is the reverse rate in an equilibrium reaction.

Yu_Jia_Xu_2I

Postby Yu_Jia_Xu_2I » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:33 am

K is the equilibrium constant. k is the rate constant. k is usually the forward rate constant whereas k' is usually the reverse rate constant.

Mav Hadsall 3I

Postby Mav Hadsall 3I » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:53 am

Ella Figueroa 2H wrote:I wanted to know the difference between k versus k'? what's the difference between K and k (lower and upper case)?

Like other posters said, k is the rate constant of the forward reaction while k' is the rate or the reverse reaction; K is the equilibrium constant. There is also an intrinsic relationship between k, k', and K.

Look at the chemical equation A+B-<-->C+D. For this eq, rate(forward) = k[A][B] and rate(reverse) = k'[C][D]. We also know that the rate of the forward rxn is equal to the rate of the reverse rxn since this chemical eq is at equilibrium (i tried to show that with the <--> arrows). We can then set k[A][B] = k'[C][D], which allows us to do something interesting if we cross divide: k/k' = [C][D]/[A][B] which is equal to K our equilibrium constant! I hope that helps :)

Postby 705748759 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:24 pm

I think that k is the rate for a forward reaction and k' is the rate for a reverse reaction. K is the equilibrium constant or ratio of rate constants.

Return to “Reaction Mechanisms, Reaction Profiles”