Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anna Goldberg 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Anna Goldberg 2I » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Does anyone have any good tips on how to approach this problem and the diagram? I understand that you have to isolate the reactants and the products, and, by doing so, find the intermediates, but I'm not sure on the quickest way to do so.

Mika Sonnleitner 1A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: 15.47

Postby Mika Sonnleitner 1A » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm

To identify the intermediates, you would choose the compound that appears as a product in one reaction, and then as a reactant in the next reaction. To find the overall reaction, you would remove all intermediates and simply write the reaction using the reactants and products that are left.

Adrian Lim 1G

Postby Adrian Lim 1G » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 pm

I would first look for the intermediate(s), which is produced and then used up to get the overall reaction. As for the diagrams, I just went from left to right of the molecule, but I don't think it would hurt too much to have the compound written in a slightly different form as long as everything is there.

Gurkriti Ahluwalia 1K

Postby Gurkriti Ahluwalia 1K » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 pm

if the diagrams are exactly the same, they are the same molecule. for simplicity sake, i started out by naming the entire molecule x or y or z so I would see where the intermediates are easily, and then when it asked me for the overall reaction or the actual molecule i wrote out the full version from left to right. DON'T BE SCARED OF SEEING THESE COMPLEX MOLECULES! you can handle them if you take them piece by piece, I promise!

Return to “Reaction Mechanisms, Reaction Profiles”