Heterogeneous Catalysts  [ENDORSED]

Arrhenius Equation:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmine Cha 1A

Heterogeneous Catalysts

Postby Jasmine Cha 1A » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi, so I remember Dr. Lavelle briefly mentioning heterogeneous catalysts, but I was wondering if anyone could give an example of heterogeneous catalysts because I was a little confused about them? Thanks!

Mimi Lec 2H

Re: Heterogeneous Catalysts  [ENDORSED]

Postby Mimi Lec 2H » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi Jasmine,
A heterogeneous catalyst is a catalyst (a substance that increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the reaction) that is in a different phase from the reactants. So basically, if all the reactants of an equation are in the gas phase and a catalyst that is present is a solid, that catalyst is heterogenous. An example is Platinum in the Ostwald process (the forming of nitric acid). The reactants NH3 and O2 are in the gas phase, and Platinum, the catalyst of this first step of the reaction, does not share the same phase. I believe Dr. Lavelle gave the example of catalytic converters in vehicles that are meant to reduce the emissions of nitric oxides from exhaust gases of vehicles. I think smog tests are used to see if these catalytic converters in the vehicles are working.

Return to “Arrhenius Equation, Activation Energies, Catalysts”