catalysts and intermediates

Arrhenius Equation:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Belle Calforda3f

catalysts and intermediates

Postby Belle Calforda3f » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:27 am

how do we know the affect of a catalyst on an overall reaction if its only in one step? and how do we know how many intermediates?

GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: catalysts and intermediates

Postby GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am

Well remember that in order for something to be an intermediate, it needs to be produced then consumed within the elementary steps. That being said, I'm not sure it's possible to have an intermediate in a one step reaction because there would be no way to produce a substance and use it all in one step.
Secondly, the effect of Catalysts are that they lower the Activation Energy (the hill gets smaller for the Ea graphs) therefore it is easier for molecules to collide with the necessary amount of energy to overcome the Ea and the reaction speeds up.

Gurkriti Ahluwalia 1K

Re: catalysts and intermediates

Postby Gurkriti Ahluwalia 1K » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I agree: I don't believe one step equations have intermediates, only products and reactants.

don't forget that while catalysts lower activation energy the energy of the products and reactants is still the same between a reaction with a catalyst and without. the reaction without a catalyst is lower because it must overcome a larger threshold of energy to convert reactants to products.

Return to “Arrhenius Equation, Activation Energies, Catalysts”