Question 15.73 (Sixth Edition)

Arrhenius Equation:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Steve Magana 2I

Question 15.73 (Sixth Edition)

Postby Steve Magana 2I » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Question: Determine which of the following statements about catalysts are true. If the statement is false, explain why. (a) In an equilibrium process, a catalyst increases the rate of the forward reaction but leaves the rate of the reverse reaction unchanged. (b) A catalyst is not consumed in the course of a reaction. (c) The pathway for a reaction is the same in the presence of a catalyst as in its absence, but the rate constants are decreased in both the forward and the reverse directions. (d) A catalyst must be carefully chosen to shift the equilibrium toward the products.

I have trouble with these types of conceptual questions, can someone help please. Thank you!

Re: Question 15.73 (Sixth Edition)

Postby 705192887 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:21 pm

A is false because catalysts never change the equilibrium constant. It changes both the rate of the forward and reverse reactions

B is true because a catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of reaction, but is not consumed in it.

C is false because a catalyst provides a new pathway for the reaction which has lower activation energy and a faster rate.

D is false because catalysts never change the equilibrium constant.

Return to “Arrhenius Equation, Activation Energies, Catalysts”