Problem Types

Arrhenius Equation:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SashaAnand2J

Problem Types

Postby SashaAnand2J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Hello!
I'm really confused as to how to use the different forms of the Arrhenius equation when it comes to a problem (i.e. the exponential form vs. the logarithmic version). Does anyone have any tips/problem types that could demonstrate this? The equations get jumbled up in my head when I'm working w/this equation.

Blake Ballew 1H

Re: Problem Types

Postby Blake Ballew 1H » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:06 pm

From my understanding the exponential form is just a simplified version of the natural log form. You could derive one from the other and use either in order to find the same variable and get the same answer. I think Lavelle included both just to make that clear. Just use whatever is comfortable :)

Tanya Bearson 2K

Postby Tanya Bearson 2K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:19 pm

I find the exponential form the most useful because we often have to use this equation to solve for k or compare k values and it already has k isolated. However, as Blake said they are equivalent so it doesn't really matter you can just use whichever you are more comfortable with.

JoshMoore2B

Postby JoshMoore2B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 pm

SashaAnand2J wrote:Hello!
I'm really confused as to how to use the different forms of the Arrhenius equation when it comes to a problem (i.e. the exponential form vs. the logarithmic version). Does anyone have any tips/problem types that could demonstrate this? The equations get jumbled up in my head when I'm working w/this equation.

The Arrhenius equation is best used when looking for Ea or T. With the other form, they are in the exponent, and so eventually you have to reduce that other form to the Arrhenius equation anyways to get them out of the exponent.

Return to “Arrhenius Equation, Activation Energies, Catalysts”