Quiz 2 Prep #9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Casey Monahan 2C

Quiz 2 Prep #9

Postby Casey Monahan 2C » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm assuming that this isn't going to be on the quiz, but I'd still like to understand #9 on the quiz 2 prep if anybody could explain it:
Which if the following statements about enzymes is incorrect?
A When the concentration of substrate is low, the rate of an enzyme-catalyzed reaction increases with the concentration of the substrate.
B When the concentration of substrate is high, the reaction rate depends only on the concentration of the enzyme.
C All enzymes are proteins.
D All proteins are enzymes.

Meghna Patel 2L

Re: Quiz 2 Prep #9

Postby Meghna Patel 2L » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Answers A, B, and C are correct.
A substrate binds to the enzyme at its active site, and as the substrate concentration increases so does the reaction rate because there is more substrate for the enzyme react with. When there are enough substrates, the determining factor of the reaction rate depends on the concentration of the enzyme because it is more likely that a chemical reaction will happen when a substrate binds to an enzyme. Not all proteins are enzymes; enzymes are just one of the many functions of a protein.

Cerjay_Lugtu_3B

Postby Cerjay_Lugtu_3B » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Casey Monahan 2C wrote:I'm assuming that this isn't going to be on the quiz, but I'd still like to understand #9 on the quiz 2 prep if anybody could explain it:
Which if the following statements about enzymes is incorrect?
A When the concentration of substrate is low, the rate of an enzyme-catalyzed reaction increases with the concentration of the substrate.
B When the concentration of substrate is high, the reaction rate depends only on the concentration of the enzyme.
C All enzymes are proteins.
D All proteins are enzymes.

Professor Lavelle said that we should know this for the quiz.

Casey Monahan 2C

Postby Casey Monahan 2C » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 pm

But... It's not even in the course reader.

Return to “*Enzyme Kinetics”