biological examples for final

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Esther Lee 4H

biological examples for final

Postby Esther Lee 4H » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 am

I was wondering what types of biological examples we need to know for the final.
I know we've talked a bit about ATP hydrolysis so I think it's safe to assume there will be a question about that but what else is pertinent to the final?

Rhea Churi 4K

Re: biological examples for final

Postby Rhea Churi 4K » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Each chapter in the textbook that we need to know has a brief section on the biological applications, so it would probably be helpful to review those.

Annalyn Diaz 1J

Postby Annalyn Diaz 1J » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 am

I would probably also know any industrial and and environmental examples that Dr. Lavelle has gone over in class just in case. I think it's safe to assume there might be a small question on them.

He whose name cannot be spoken

Postby He whose name cannot be spoken » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Annalyn Diaz 1J wrote:I would probably also know any industrial and and environmental examples that Dr. Lavelle has gone over in class just in case. I think it's safe to assume there might be a small question on them.

Which ones has he gone over? I can't find anything on that anywhere

hanna_maillard3B

Postby hanna_maillard3B » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:10 am

i am struggling to find examples as well

Alexandra Albers 1D

Postby Alexandra Albers 1D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 am

Maybe something about chlorofluorocarbons and the ozone layer, or examples of biological catalysts that, such as the examples in the book about poisons.

Ruby Richter 2L

Postby Ruby Richter 2L » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:48 pm

The questions about the ozone layer and its breakdown could be important to know for the final

Julie_Reyes1B

Postby Julie_Reyes1B » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:48 pm

These are just from his unit outlines (I included industrial and environmental as well):
Unit 1 (Chemical Equilibrium): ATP hydrolysis, osmotic pressure
Unit 2 (Acids and Bases):Carbon dioxide reacts with water to form carbonic acid, which makes carbonated drinks acidic, acidic rain, rivers, and lakes in the environment, and respiratory acidosis and death in biological systems.
Unit 3 (Thermochemistry): why steam at 100 C causes a worse burn than boiling water at 100 C, understand the environmental impact of burning fossil fuels and the use of alternative fuels as energy sources, applying thermochemistry to biological examples
Unit 4 (Thermodynamics): coupling of favorable reactions to drive unfavorable reactions, ATP hydrolysis, being able to apply thermodynamic laws to biological examples
Unit 5 (Electrochemistry): use and apply electrochemistry topics in industrial (e.g., batteries, rust, pH electrodes) and biological (e.g., electron transfer) examples
Unit 6 has none listed specifically but maybe just understanding what an enzyme is and how it works?

Jessa Maheras 4F

Postby Jessa Maheras 4F » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:23 pm

Julie_Reyes1B wrote:These are just from his unit outlines (I included industrial and environmental as well):
Unit 1 (Chemical Equilibrium): ATP hydrolysis, osmotic pressure
Unit 2 (Acids and Bases):Carbon dioxide reacts with water to form carbonic acid, which makes carbonated drinks acidic, acidic rain, rivers, and lakes in the environment, and respiratory acidosis and death in biological systems.
Unit 3 (Thermochemistry): why steam at 100 C causes a worse burn than boiling water at 100 C, understand the environmental impact of burning fossil fuels and the use of alternative fuels as energy sources, applying thermochemistry to biological examples
Unit 4 (Thermodynamics): coupling of favorable reactions to drive unfavorable reactions, ATP hydrolysis, being able to apply thermodynamic laws to biological examples
Unit 5 (Electrochemistry): use and apply electrochemistry topics in industrial (e.g., batteries, rust, pH electrodes) and biological (e.g., electron transfer) examples
Unit 6 has none listed specifically but maybe just understanding what an enzyme is and how it works?

Wow, thank you so much this is so helpful!!

Maggie Eberhardt - 2H

Postby Maggie Eberhardt - 2H » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 pm

do you think these are examples we should memorize or mores just be familiar with for the exam?

Postby 106024424 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:50 pm

I have seen some questions on the ozone as a real-world example of a kinetics problem and I have noticed he likes to implement environmentally important reactions in his questions.

Return to “Biological Examples”