iN relation to ATP

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I

iN relation to ATP

Postby Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:34 pm

HOw does kinetics affect ATP production?

Kaylee Sepulveda 4G

Re: iN relation to ATP

Postby Kaylee Sepulveda 4G » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:23 pm

An article I read said that ATP could be analogously described and 'rechargeable batteries.' The batteries are used, giving up their potential energy until all of it has been converted into kinetic energy and heat(unusable energy). Recharged batteries can be used only after the input of additional energy. Hence, ATP is the higher energy form (the recharged battery) while ADP is the lower energy form (the used battery). When the terminal (third) phosphate is cut loose, ATP becomes ADP (Adenosine diphosphate; di= two), and the stored energy is released for some biological process to utilize. The input of additional energy (plus a phosphate group) 'recharges' ADP into ATP.

If you'd like to read the rest of the article here is a link: https://www2.estrellamountain.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/BioBookATP.html

Daniel Yu 1E

Re: iN relation to ATP

Postby Daniel Yu 1E » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:42 pm

For an ATP to be made, you would need an ADP molecule to collide with a Pi molecule. You can see why this is affected by kinetics. In biology, there would be catalysts (enzymes) which speed up the process, but you still need the ADP and Pi to find their way to the enzyme's activation site.

Return to “Biological Examples”