Midterm 1 - Study Tips and Advice

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Evonne Chau 2I

Midterm 1 - Study Tips and Advice

Postby Evonne Chau 2I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi everyone,

The midterm is just around the corner, and I just want to ask how everyone's doing. I feel like I'm so behind in this course, and I'm doing my best to understand the material by watching the lectures, modules, read Chemistry Community posts, etc. When Dr. Lavelle said The Quantum World was the hardest topic, he wasn't kidding :(.

Does anyone have any advice/tips for the Midterm on Friday? For example, what I should focus on, what I need to memorize, what I need to prioritize, etc. Thank you in advance!

As for studying, right now I'm rewatching the lectures and modules while taking detailed notes. I feel like this isn't enough to grasp the material :(

Sean Basu 2B

Re: Midterm 1 - Study Tips and Advice

Postby Sean Basu 2B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm

I think doing the Audio-Visual Focus Topics and suggested problems listed on page 3 of the syllabus (https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-content/supporting-files/Chem14A/Chem14ASYLL_1.pdf) is super helpful. Also, once you finish taking notes on a lecture, try going back through your notes and explaining the concepts to yourself, like you're giving your own lecture. That way, you can see which concepts you don't fully understand and you can find out where to focus your attention.

Megan McKenna Dis1A

Postby Megan McKenna Dis1A » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:28 pm

I feel you. I plan on doing a lot of practice problems and utilizing the audio-visual topics. I was wondering if the exam is more mathematical and application questions or testing our conceptual knowledge?

Caitlin Beale 3E

Postby Caitlin Beale 3E » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Most definitely do the problems from the ebook problems! Pervious students and TAs have said that some of the homework problems are the questions on the test as well!

Postby 405509920 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:48 pm

Yeah I agree with what everyone has said so far. The textbook practice problems are a good refresher for earlier material and really help you point out any weak points in understanding. I spent most of my weekend going through all the fundamental/principles problems and I think it helped me get a sense of what I needed to work on in regards to that material.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”