Naming Complexes

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anmol Dhaliwal 2C

Naming Complexes

Postby Anmol Dhaliwal 2C » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Can someone please explain how to name compounds (with an example) that would include the bis-, tris-, or tetrakis-? I don't really understand when that would apply to a complex. Also for the charges, does the overall charge of a complex have any affect on the oxidation number put in the name of the complex as well? Thank you!

Diana Catapusan 1N

Re: Naming Complexes

Postby Diana Catapusan 1N » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:32 pm

You would use prefixes bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, etc. when the compound already has another prefix such as di- or tri-. For exmaple, the ligand ethylenediamine has the prefix di-. If there were two of these ligands (en)2, then you would use the prefix bis- and name it bisethylenediamine. If there were three (en) ligands, it would be named trisethylenediamine. Hope this helps!

Avery_Tinsley

Postby Avery_Tinsley » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Does using bis or tris apply to (dien) (edta) or (oxo) the way it does to (en)?

alyssawhite1L

Postby alyssawhite1L » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm

it applies to dien and edta the same was as en because they all contain prefixes (di, tri, etc). However it would not apply to oxo because it does not have a prefix.

Jessica Jones 2B

Postby Jessica Jones 2B » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:00 pm

you would also use bis- tris- tetras-, etc if the compound is a polydentate. So you use these prefixes 1. if the name already includes a di, try, etc or 2. if it is a polydentate.

Clarisse Wikstrom 1H

Postby Clarisse Wikstrom 1H » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:46 pm

and a polydentate is when the ligand can bind at multiple sites the transition metal. However, although N2 has 2 pairs of lone pairs on each nitrogent, it is not a polydentate because it would be impossible for both nitrogens to bind to the T.M. at the same time.

Girija_3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Girija_3E » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Anmol Dhaliwal 2C wrote:Can someone please explain how to name compounds (with an example) that would include the bis-, tris-, or tetrakis-? I don't really understand when that would apply to a complex. Also for the charges, does the overall charge of a complex have any affect on the oxidation number put in the name of the complex as well? Thank you!

To calculate the charge or the oxidation number (so that I can put it in the name of the complex), I always use the formula:

(number of metals)(oxidation number) x (number of one type of ligand)(it's charge) = charge of complex

So, if one of any of those variables are missing, I replace it with "x" and solve for it. To answer your question then, the overall charge of a complex does not have an effect on the oxidation number that is put in the name of a complex using this formula! Hope that helps some!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”