Turning in Extra HW problems

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

madawy

Turning in Extra HW problems

Postby madawy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Is there any benefit (other than a better comprehension of the material) to turning in more than 5 hw problems or, in this week’s case, turning in problems from both the Quantum and Fundamental units?

Tauhid Islam- 1F

Re: Turning in Extra HW problems

Postby Tauhid Islam- 1F » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:31 pm

I think it's easier to manage for the TAs if we just submit the five required HW problems. But doing the assigned problems would help your comprehension of the material. I doubt there is any extra credit associated with turning in extra problems, but you can always ask the TAs. It might just be more burdensome and tedious if everyone turned in all of the problems. Hope this helps. :)

Alexa Hernandez 3k
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Alexa Hernandez 3k » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:34 pm

I would ask your TA directly... Either way you don't lose anything with being extra prepared!!!

Matt F

Postby Matt F » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 am

Nothing has been mentioned about extra credit, so I doubt turning in extra HW would directly help your grade. However, as others mentioned, it's definitely still helpful to do more than the required 5, especially when studying for tests since a lot of the problems are similar to the ones assigned.

Elizabeth Johnson 1I

Postby Elizabeth Johnson 1I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:15 pm

I'd say doing all the homework problems is the move, but if I was a TA I'd be annoyed if everyone gave me stapled papers with all their work rather than just one page with 5 problems that I could easily grade. My system so far has been just recopying the problems on a new piece or turning in a sheet with work that I've checked.

S 1C

Postby S 1C » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm

What I've been doing so far is doing all (most? some? (; ) of the homework problems and then copying 5 to give the TA. I don't think more counts as EC. If you have questions on the others, though, I'd definitely ask your TA or someone at peer learning sessions.

Drake Choi_1I

Postby Drake Choi_1I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Is it effective to do the whole homework list? Or should I focus on doing a few problems from each section?

dtolentino4H

Postby dtolentino4H » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:51 pm

absolutely it is most effective to do all the hw problems on the list! i think you get a more thorough understanding of the concept that way, and you feel more familiar with the calculations and equations.

KTran 1I

Postby KTran 1I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Drake Choi_1I wrote:Is it effective to do the whole homework list? Or should I focus on doing a few problems from each section?

It is probably helpful to do all the homework problems so that you have practice with the concepts and the style of questions, which will probably helpful for tests.

Haley Fredricks 1B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Haley Fredricks 1B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Drake Choi_1I wrote:Is it effective to do the whole homework list? Or should I focus on doing a few problems from each section?

I find that it is most efficient for me to read through all the problems and focus on the ones I am not sure how to do or that I want more review on. I skip some that I feel I can in my head go through the steps for how to do them (for time's sake)

Celena Kim 3I

Postby Celena Kim 3I » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:26 pm

I think it is super effective to do the whole homework list. I was super confused before when I focused on only doing a few problems from each section, but after running through all the problems, it's way easier to grasp the topics and concepts.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”