Atomic Spectra: Energy Levels

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AArmellini_1I

Atomic Spectra: Energy Levels

Postby AArmellini_1I » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:27 am

So after sitting through Wednesday's lecture regarding the Atomic Spectra, I just was wondering if all questions regarding the topic would be mainly focused on calculating the change of energy when an electron moves from say n=2 to n=1. Or is there another large part I am missing? Thanks guys!

SnehinRajkumar1L

Re: Atomic Spectra: Energy Levels

Postby SnehinRajkumar1L » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Yes, the calculations would be for that. There might also be problems where they have you solve for the energies of a quantum level given the change in energy and the final or initial energy or solve for wavelengths, frequencies, etc. You can also look at the homework problems for the corresponding section to see the types of problems you may be asked.

Daniel Chen 2L

Postby Daniel Chen 2L » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 am

If you read through the section of the textbook regarding atomic spectra, there are examples given walking you through how to do different problems regarding the topic. I'm sure the homework problems will be similar to something like those.

AryaG_4C

Postby AryaG_4C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:30 am

During lecture, we were told that the we are to assume that the electron is outside the atom as our basis for calculation but not n=1 which is nearest to the nucleus. Why was that so?

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”