Textbook Readings on Fundamental Topics

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Evonne Hsu 1J

Textbook Readings on Fundamental Topics

Postby Evonne Hsu 1J » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:30 am

I was wondering if unfamiliar content on the fundamental readings that were never discussed during lectures nor assigned as homework problems would appear on any quizzes, tests, or exams?

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Textbook Readings on Fundamental Topics

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:53 am

I think only the parts of the readings that are discussed and applied to what we're working on will be used in tests since we'll need to use them to solve a problem. However, I can't give you a definitive answer about the content that we don't discuss. I think you should maybe try emailing him about it, but I would assume only the content that we practice for homework would be what we're tested on.

Kaley Qin 1F

Postby Kaley Qin 1F » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:13 pm

My TA said that Lavelle draws a lot of his test questions from homework problems, so I assume that we won't be tested on the information we don't learn or isn't covered by the homework

Akshata Kapadne 2K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Akshata Kapadne 2K » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 pm

During Lavelle's discussion section/OH, he said that he only assigns homework problems that align with the syllabus. Anything that is not assigned is not within the scope of this course and therefore will not be tested.

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:12 pm

I think focusing on the fundamental readings, practice problems (textbook, sapling), and lectures/TA lectures is the best way to go and make sure that you are prepared for all the midterms and final exam. He won't test us on something he didn't talk about or tell us to go over!

Audra Mcleod 3G

Postby Audra Mcleod 3G » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:08 pm

To my understanding, a concept/problem that wasn't even mentioned at any point during the course seems like unrealistic material to expect on any exams. Instead, one of my UAs said that it is not uncommon for Lavelle to use homework questions verbatim on tests, and therefore the questions listed on the syllabus were highly recommended for practice/study.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”