Office Hours

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jason_Glass_2L

Office Hours

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:44 pm

For office hours, is it ok if we just come to listen to others questions or do we have to come with questions ready?

marlene 1K

Re: Office Hours

Postby marlene 1K » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:56 pm

I think it's fine if you just sit and listen, I think theres a lot of people that attend office hours anyway. I know I've done that before for other classes and come up with questions during the session if I can come up with any. Hope that helped :)

Joanne Yuh 3I

Postby Joanne Yuh 3I » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Yeah, I agree with what the person said above. I think it's just supposed to be a casual/comfortable place to listen and talk. I went to the first one and Professor Lavelle talked about his class and students asked questions in between topics.
Last edited by Joanne Yuh 3I on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Violet Kwan 3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Violet Kwan 3H » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:37 am

Yes, I agree with all the other comments. I actually attended a few where I didn't have really specific questions. But just being there and hearing others' questions sometimes made me think of follow up questions to clarify a topic! They are all resources to help you in any way possible

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:49 am

It's fine, you could just drop into an office hours session and just listen. Sometimes other students will ask questions that you didn't know you even had.

Jessica Manriquez 1H

Postby Jessica Manriquez 1H » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:50 am

I agree with the previous posts; you don't necessarily have to arrive with a question ready, its very helpful to hear other student's questions which could clarify any of your own questions. Sometimes people stray away from attending OH because they feel as though they need to have questions ready to go, I know from experience. As long as you attend, you'll find it very resourceful and often you come up with questions on the spot that you didn't know you had before. Hope this helps :).

John_Tran_3J

Postby John_Tran_3J » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:55 am

As we can tell by the previous officious hours this year, many people come in to listen or gather information! You are not obligated to speak or even have your camera on! Office hours are useful as they will give you information, it also helps to build a relationship with Lavelle himself :)

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:06 am

It honestly really helps me review to hear what questions other people have because a lot of times I don't even know what I don't know. I think I'll start dropping into office hours now :)

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”