iPad vs Paper notes

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Charlene D 3H

iPad vs Paper notes

Postby Charlene D 3H » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi!
I've noticed that many students use iPads for note taking and doing problems (especially for STEM classes). The idea of organizing everything from one subject area into a convenient digital folder seems nicer than my current notebook set up where one topic is dispersed throughout my notebook from modules, lecture notes, and textbook readings (I do have a table of contents though).
However, I feel like staring at another screen all day won't help my already fatigued eyes, and iPads + the pencil can get a little pricey.
I'm wondering if iPad owners think their purchase was worth the money and what apps they use as well as what people do to keep their physical notes organized.
Thank you (:

Isabel_Eslabon_2G

Re: iPad vs Paper notes

Postby Isabel_Eslabon_2G » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello.

I have tried using an iPad in the past for notes and from my experience you can do a lot more versus taking regular notes. Some of my friends use iPads and Apple Pencils and they think it's really convenient because they can move things around on the screen and undo. It is convenient, but because of distance learning I try to take my eyes off a screen as much as I can.

From your comment, it seems like your main pro for iPad is "organizing everything from one subject area into a convenient digital folder". If you really don't want to invest the money into iPad+Apple Pencil, I would suggest taking paper notes, scanning/taking a picture of them and uploading them on Google Drive and organize it from there. If you need to take extra notes or annotate the notes you can just type any additions below.

Of course it is up to you, but don't push your health (your eyes) too much, if possible. You don't know how much it might affect you in the long run.

marlene 1K

Postby marlene 1K » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Hello,
I personally started using an ipad spring quarter and I fell in love with it. Like you mentioned it's really easy to keep all your files organized and its really not cluttered at all. I use goodnotes for note taking and keeping all my files together. It's an amazing app that really is an all in one. I know other people use OneNote because it's easy to transfer typed material from ipad to laptop, other people use notability which is almost like goodnotes but has a different set up. I've also heard of some people only using the notes app that's pre downloaded.

I think it's definetly worth the investment, and if you're like me and only using it for school notes and files I opted for a cheaper option rather than the newer expensive ipad because I don't need a lot of space and I also don't need something new. And with regards to eye strain it can get a bit much sometimes but I bought blue light glasses and it's helped me tremendously with eye sight, I would also just recommend taking a lot of breaks from the screen.

Hope that helped, and good luck! :)n

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Hello! In my opinion, it is worth it! I've never lost a page of work ever since I switched to digital note taking, which is incredible. Also, viewing your notes will be a lot more convenient. I use both Notability and Notion to organize my lecture notes and assignments.

Jenny Chau 1I

Postby Jenny Chau 1I » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:36 pm

Both definitely have their benefits and cons. I currently use an iPad for my notes and using the standard notes app that comes with iPhones and iPads. I think in a real lecture that's not pre-recorded, I'd have a lot more trouble using the iPad. It takes time using the tools such as erasing or moving stuff around if you wrote it somewhere you didn't want to. However, because the lectures are currently recorded, I'm not in a rush to write stuff down. But I think it's good for organizing and knowing exactly where you wrote something as opposed to flipping through a notebook. If you plan on buying an iPad, I would get the cheapest option as long as it's good for taking notes. Apple pencils are expensive so I would recommend buying an alternative (which I believe you can find on Amazon for cheap) if you're not looking for pen pressure. Hope this helps!

Megan Singer 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Megan Singer 3D » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 pm

Another option if you're not totally set on getting an Apple device is getting a 2 in 1 laptop. I got the dell xps 13 2 in 1, which switches from laptop to tablet form pretty easily (the screen folds 360 degrees to make the tablet). I like it because I only have to carry one device around, and you can use an app like Microsoft OneNote for note taking. Although there's a bit of a learning curve at first when you get used to writing neatly on a tablet, organization is a lot easier and it's really easy to pull up a specific page that you labeled. Also, for classes like ls30, Jukka posts his slides online so I just copy paste them onto my OneNote which is super quick and easy, and then I take my own notes on top of his slides. I think this saves a lot of time and helps me focus on paying attention to the lecture instead of just writing stuff down. As a side note, if you feel like your eyes get fatigued easily from looking at a screen, you should switch to dark mode. Last year my eyes always hurt by the end of the night, but once I switched to dark more I didn't have that problem anymore.

Xinying Wang_3C

Postby Xinying Wang_3C » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:15 am

Hi, for me it really depends on the requirement of the class. I am using the IPad for my math class, since it requires me to upload a pdf version of my homework on website, and I am not a big fan of using a scanner every time for my homework. Instead, apps like GoodNotes and notability are really useful in this scenario. However, I love taking notes on paper. This is just my personal habit, so I am taking hand-written notes for most of my other classes. I agree that IPad can be pricey, so it majorly depends on your experience with your classes I guess.

Adam Bustamante 1I

Postby Adam Bustamante 1I » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:11 am

Hey!

I've been using the 2020 iPad Pro and the apple pencil to take notes with and to organize all my subjects by folder and so on. I think it's super worth the money because you're able to condense say, 5 notebooks, into the notes app! it's also really convenient having access to a bunch of different color inks from the pencil and also being able to attach helpful images, such as the periodic table, into the pages. Though sometimes my eyes do begin to hurt from looking at the screen all day along with my laptop's screen, I find that that's the only setback from using it versus a paper notebook. You should definitely invest in one if you haven't :)

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 am

Hi!

I agree that iPad notes are a very easy and useful source to organize your notes and have everything all in one place, but it really depends on what your learning style is! I love physically having my notes in front of me to flip through as well as writing down the notes and drawing the diagrams. The process of actually writing notes is supposed to be better to help you remember and understand what you are learning as opposed to digital notes, but if using a note app on an iPad sounds like a better choice to keep everything together, then I would go for that.

Jessica Hu 3L

Postby Jessica Hu 3L » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 am

I definitely think using an ipad had made organization a lot easier, and since I personally use notability, I'm able to back it up to drive immediately (I'm not sure about other apps). TBH this has been easier for me especially if some classes have premade note templates or slides, so I can just download and work on them instead of printing and scanning, etc. However, I did like the ability to have multiple notes in front of me physically and had to adjust for that when using an ipad. But sometimes I'll pull my past notes on my computer screen if I want to see multiple at once.

Jeffrey Fenn 1G

Postby Jeffrey Fenn 1G » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am

Personally, I like using my IPad much more then paper for a variety of reasons. For starters, as someone who takes a lot of notes it is assuring to me I am at least doing something to save some paper. I was also like only having technically one "notebook" for all my classes, as I think it is very convenient and easy to stay on track.

Crystal Hsueh 2L

Postby Crystal Hsueh 2L » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi! I don't take notes on an iPad so I don't really have any wisdom to offer in that sense BUT in terms of tired eyes, if you don't already have a pair I really recommend investing in some blue light glasses! You can find some really cheap ones online and in my opinion they help me a lot with eye strain. I used to also have a lot of sleeping problems from staring at a screen all day and the glasses helped a lot with that

TrishaP_3E

Postby TrishaP_3E » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi! I've taken notes on my iPad for the past three years and I really like it! What I especially like is having all of my notes backed up to drive so that I can refer back to them on a different screen, and I don't have to worry about looking through tons of notebooks if I need some info from an older class. It's also nice to be able to annotate the professor's slides while they lecture if they give you their slides beforehand.

Also, if you're worried about Apple pencil prices, I take all of my notes on my iPad Air 1st generation with a stylus similar to an apple pencil that only cost me about 20 dollars from amazon.

Faith Lee 2L

Postby Faith Lee 2L » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:37 pm

I worked a couple jobs throughout the last few years and saved up for an iPad, but whether it's worth the money would really depend on how you like to take notes/learn information. Personally, I like to use my iPad for my homework or for annotating lecture slides in my classes, but I find it inefficient for notetaking. Maybe it's because I write really slowly, but I find that typing my notes on a laptop is much more efficient than using apps like Goodnotes or Notability to write them out by hand (with my iPad, I waste a lot of time trying to make my notes look neat, rather than actually learning the material). However, I do really appreciate how much paper I am saving in addition to the iPad's ability to store and sync any files I store/annotate :)

Gina Spagarino 3G

Postby Gina Spagarino 3G » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 pm

I also thought taking notes on an iPad would be a better option and after talking to some friends and seeing their notes, I decided to order one with the pencil. This was before our classes started-- I just wanted to caution you that the iPad (normal, not air or pro) that comes up on the Apple website first does not ship until early November. I did not realize that when I ordered it so I'm still waiting, so be aware with that since I most definitely was not!

Emerald Wong 1B

Postby Emerald Wong 1B » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm

It is pricy, but I like how I can be organized with the iPad. I prefer handwriting notes, and for certain classes I will still use a paper notebook, but I love how you can rearrange things on an iPad and add your own little notes without it being too cluttered

Courtney Situ 2B

Postby Courtney Situ 2B » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello!
So I don't take notes on an iPad, but I have also wondered whether or not to convert to taking notes on the iPad. Here's what I think:

PROS FOR iPad
-It's a perfect mix between paper notes and typing. I get to physically write out the words and phrases (which personally helps me a lot), and I'm free to draw diagrams or little visual aids (which I can't do when I type my notes)
-Like you mentioned, it's easier to organize pages, especially if you realize that you have put them in the wrong order.
-Notes are permanent + you can't lose them (as long as you save them correctly)
-This bullet point ties heavily to my personal study strategies but --> You can always print them again and again for handwritten annotations. When I start reviewing for midterms and finals, I annotate all my notes again as a helpful review. If you write them electronically, you will be able to keep them for longer and print as many copies as you want vs. annotating your paper notes the ONE time.
-you can probably customize your notes even more, which could help you depending on how you study b/c you'll get to organize topics/concepts better
-saves paper and ink :)

CONS FOR iPad
-price
-my poor eyes
-if you would consider typing notes instead, typing notes would be WAY faster than paper and iPad

Hopefully this adds some points and helps you with your decision :))

Nicolette Simoni 3L

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 pm

I love my iPad! I think the BEST app to use is OneNote! It comes with your office 365 subscription and you can sync your iPad to your computer! So what I do is I type questions/problems and write out my answers like for formulas and stuff! I also use GoodNotes 5 for math homework because its just easier to submit via the CCLE app!

Shruti Kulkarni 2I

Postby Shruti Kulkarni 2I » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi!
I am personally using an iPad to take notes and have found it very convenient overall! It is extremely helpful and easy to just erase something or move it somewhere else without any weird marks or arrows. It is also great for adding pictures or diagrams into your notes so that you can reference picture concepts when you go back through them. Also, it is true that it's very helpful organization wise as everything is in one place, not multiple books or folders that you have to scrounge around. I am very happy with it so far, and the only problem that I have noticed is accidentally erasing something that is didnt need to, but that's easily fixed because of the undo button!

However, if you don't want to spend that much money there are definitely cheaper options than an IPad. Otherwise regular handwritten notes are also a perfectly viable option! Whatever is best for you!

Molly_Peterson_2F

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 pm

I have an ipad that I use for school and it has really helped me a lot with organizing my work and notes! I mostly use it for my science and math classes as that is where I am writing a lot more equations and doing a lot more problem solving. For my humanities classes I usually type my notes. So I would say that I would recommend the ipad more for classes where you would otherwise be using handwritten notes. I use the Goodnotes app and one thing that I really like is that I can take notes and then upload them to my laptop where I can save them to a folder in my google drive. It makes everything really accessible and organized! I would say that in my experience it was definitely worth the investment.

AmyHo2K

Postby AmyHo2K » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 am

Hi, I recently got an Ipad and so far, I think it's better than paper notes. I use Notability to take notes and it's working well for me. For reading classes, you can import readings into the app and write in the margins. I also use it during Step-Up sessions and workshops when they would give us worksheets. I download it instead of printing which saves time, paper, and ink. I do have to say that it takes awhile to adjust to writing on it, even with a matte screen protector.

Violet Kwan 3H

Postby Violet Kwan 3H » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 am

I got an Ipad for school and I really like it! The only thing is that it is hard to get that exact paper feel, and you can't flip through pages as fast as a regular notebook would allow you to. But besides that, it is very organized and has a ton of functions for note taking.
If you do decide to get one, there are some decently priced blue light glasses that you can buy to help with the eye strain! Especially since we will probably be staring at a lot of screens for the rest of the year. Hope this helps! :)

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:52 am

I would definitely recommend an iPad as a major that needs to take lots of notes it's better to have all your notes in one place.

Ryan_Page_1J

Postby Ryan_Page_1J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:00 am

I used to take notes on an iPad, however I didn't end up liking it. It was hard to get the pen and paper feel which for me is super important for memorization. I just stuck with a good ole fashion notebook.

Ruochen Yang 3B

Postby Ruochen Yang 3B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 am

Hi!
I've stated to use iPad and Apple Pencil to take notes since high school, and it's definitely convenient! I think the biggest advantage is that you can do a lot of things to make your notes tidy and easy. For example, I personally like to put a lot of diagrams in my notes, and using iPad would save me a lot of time for drawing those delicate pictures on my own. I can just take a screenshot and immediately I will get a perfect picture!
Also, I would say carrying a notebook can be very inconvenient and it takes a lot of space to organize all your notebooks for all subjects. I personally recommend apps like Goodnotes and Notability. You can make really nice notes with them. Also, you can just buy the 64GB version iPad if you are mainly using it for educational purposes. That will save a lot of money!

Luveia Pangilinan 1A

Postby Luveia Pangilinan 1A » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am

I personally think Ipad is a better way of taking notes. Not only are you saving paper, but it's much more convenient and it's much more portable than a laptop to take notes with! I right now am using a different method of taking notes, I made my own discord server where I dump and organize all of my classes, however, I am planning to get an Ipad soon or later when I am about to move out.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:37 pm

I love taking notes on my iPad with Goodnotes. It's much neater and more organized compared to having to file away a bunch of paper and notebooks. You can easily adjust and customize your notes, and incorporating pictures and diagrams into your notes is so nice. For chem, it's been great as I can watch the audio-visual videos on half of my screen while simultaneously take notes on the other half of my screen.

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi! I got an iPad for college and I had a lot of trouble deciding if I wanted to invest that much money. I ended up buying one and an apple pencil and really love using both. I haven't had too much trouble for headaches and eye strain but I recommend blue light glasses. I think one of the best prices for an iPad I got was actual online at the UCLA store but I do think it was a closeout sale so it might be over. Overall, if you are willing to pay I recommend getting one especially since it saves a bunch of paper!

Sean Wang 1F

Postby Sean Wang 1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:46 pm

I personally like using an iPad to take notes because it lets me copy paste pictures and diagrams from google instead of trying to draw them in the middle of lecture.

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:11 pm

Hey, using the iPad has been a big help for me because it allows me to organize notes, lectures, and homework. I use a screen protector which makes it feel a little more like paper and I feel like it makes the light from the iPad less harsh, but I am not too sure if that is really the case. Also, if you need to submit assignments for any class, you can quickly convert files to pdf form and submit really quickly.

Queena Chu 3E

Postby Queena Chu 3E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi!
I purchased an iPad over the summer and I honestly love it so much. Writing nice notes and having everything in one convenient digital folder has been a big motivator for me to study and work. I recommend an iPad to people who struggle with taking notes on paper (especially if you're like me and tend to start writing super messily late into the hours of studying) because and iPad helps me stay organized and maintain my neat writing!

Madeline Marron 1I

Postby Madeline Marron 1I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:07 pm

I don't personally use an ipad because I prefer writing on paper, but my sister uses an ipad and she loves it. Although she is not a stem major but she recommends it to any one who asks. Also for the fatigued eyes I suggest getting blue light glasses to help keep your eyes from getting overworked.

Claire_Kim_2F

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:13 pm

I personally prefer using paper notes because it is more useful and helps me out to actually write it out with a pen and paper.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”