How do you study?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicolette Simoni 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

How do you study?

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Freshmen here, and I'm still adapting to the college workload and studying (living at home definitely makes it harder!). I want to hear from others, how do you study? what is the one thing you wish you could have changed about your study habits in previous quarters? Any advice helps thank you and good luck to everyone this school year!

marlene 1K

Re: How do you study?

Postby marlene 1K » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Hello Nicolette,
I hope you're enjoying school so far, I know it's not amazing that class of 24 got stuck coming in with zoom but I know y'all will do amazing!! As my studying habits go, they've changed a lot since last fall quarter. I started giving myself a lot more breaks in between my studying, which you'll want a lot, especially if I was studying for really long times I would give myself breaks of 15-30 mins. I also started separating my work rather than trying to get it all done in one sitting. I've also learned that personally it's easiest for me to go week by week for courses like LS7 series but for chem I'm organizing by topic. I think one thing I wish I would've changed about my studying habits was reviewing at the end of each week instead of reviewing a lot of material at once a week or two before my tests, because the quarter flies by. I hope that helped and that the rest of the school year goes great for you!!

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi Nicolette! I did the CSI program this summer, so I was able to adjust to the pace of college before the regular school year. With that, I was able to come up with study habits that I didn't have in high school. What I do now is I always make sure to list down all of the things I need to do for the day. It is so easy to get overwhelmed by the thought of having a lot of work, so writing it down really helps! Whenever I don't finish everything from my list, I usually just accept it and try to get it done by the following day because there is NO point in beating yourself up. With that in mind, it is always good to try to do work days before things are due, so if things happen, you have that cushion. That's pretty much how I survived that summer session. When it comes to actually studying, I also try to finishing the readings before the actual lecture because I have the tendency to panic if I don't understand what's going on in the lecture. However, that is based on your preference! Another thing that really helped me was to set aside a space that's MAINLY for studying. I chose that spot and made sure not to do anything there aside from studying, and it's been helping me become more productive and not get tempted to mess around or take a nap LOL.

I hope this helps you and remember that this is just your first quarter! You got time to figure out habits that will work for you and also disregard the ones that don't. Good luck and enjoy!

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:57 am

Something I like to do is recap everything I learned for each week. Takes about an hour of compiling my notes and I format it to look like a cheatsheet. This way by the time of the midterm or the final I would already have a study guide! Hope this helps.

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:32 pm

I really like doing problems multiple times to really engrain the concepts into my mind, so when I see it on exams (where questions are more difficult), I can sort of piece together how to solve certain problems.

Ralph Zhang 2L

Postby Ralph Zhang 2L » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Studying at home is definitely harder due to lack of motivation. I went through CSI in the summer and found that doing the work or watching the lecture the day that it is posted is crucial. If you tell yourself that you'll watch the lecture "later" there is a good chance you will not actually make time for that.

Callan Howard

Postby Callan Howard » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:50 pm

Hi! I would say the best way to study for this class would be doing the practice problems given to us. It's probably the kind of thing that we'd find on the exams and the best way to prepare for them.

Sami Siddiqui 1J
Been upvoted: 6 times

Postby Sami Siddiqui 1J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:09 am

When it comes to studying, I do plenty of the things I've done in high school. What I normally do is pre-read (and pre-note if possible) the textbook to get a basic understanding of the content prior to a given lecture. Then, once lecture comes around, I would much more easily absorb the content because I can keep up with what the professor is saying. Then, right after the lecture is done, I spend about 10 minutes reviewing the notes I've taken because the content can be easily jumbled in your head even as soon as the lecture ends. Other than that, I just practice a lot, oftentimes repeating the same questions to ingrain the calculation process for each type of question. I'm also a freshman, so I will probably have to make adjustments myself along the way.

Namratha Gujje

Postby Namratha Gujje » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:27 am

I am definitely having a hard time staying focused with this distance learning thing. I usually like to work at the library when I need to focus and get things done. i can't do that now, so I am trying to implement new study practices and I am made myself a study area where I can stay focused. As for studying, I try my best to read through the textbook and annotate my notes to remember concepts more easily. I also try my best to make sure that I understanding the concept by saying it out loud/explaining it to myself.

Mackenzie Van Val 3E

Postby Mackenzie Van Val 3E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:05 am

Hi Nicolette! I'm also a freshman, and definitely having trouble adjusting to the online college set up/workload. I wanted to pass along some study advice I got from my New Student Mentor, which I am trying to put into practice myself. My mentor suggested starting homework as soon as you are done watching the corresponding lecture so that the concepts and information are fresh in your brain while you're working. He also suggested drinking lots of water while you're studying, because going to the bathroom will give you a built-in study break.

Personally, I think reviewing the previous lecture's notes before watching a new lecture helps me soak up the information, especially if the lectures are related or a continuation of one another. While I'm studying, I also like setting a timer on my phone and putting it aside until the timer goes off, although that one's harder for me to do.

I hope you have a great quarter! Thanks for asking this question; I'll definitely be revisiting this post to get new study tips.

Charmaine Ng 2D

Postby Charmaine Ng 2D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:09 am

Hello!

For me personally, I've found that outlining my study plans ahead of time, along with clearing my workspace and working in a comfortable environment has really helped me! While I usually don't have much time to go over content ahead of time, I usually try to complete my work as soon as lecture is over just so the information is still fresh in my mind! I'm also a freshman, but I took CSI over summer, which allowed me to get adjusted to the workload ahead of time, but my tip is honestly to not procrastinate, and to go to office hours! I've found that learning to prioritize which tasks or assignments are more beneficial/important is really helpful in really helping me to find what needs to get done! I've also found that I enjoy sleeping earlier and waking earlier to complete assignments rather than staying up late, but of course, all these habits just happen to work for me! Spend some time finding what works for you, and I wish you the best of luck! :))

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi! Being a freshman as well, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to balance the workload of my classes while staying at home. I've found that planning my days and scheduling time blocks where I'll work on homework or study a specific topic I'm struggling on (through reviewing my notes, rewatching lectures, practicing problems from my textbook, going on chem community to ask questions, etc) really help. Making sure I understand the concepts of each topic and practicing problems as much as I can make me feel the most confident in my abilities. Good luck! :)

Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F

Postby Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Hello there! I'm also a freshman so I am still in the process of adjusting to the college lifestyle like you. So far, I've found that planning ahead and giving myself time to take breaks helps a lot. Once the syllabus for each class is given out, I like to make a rough schedule of what I should complete each week for the entire quarter, giving myself some time before deadlines. This masterlist is really helpful so you can easily adjust your schedule whenever necessary. In terms of maintaining a healthy balance, I also give myself a good amount of breaks to avoid burnout. I suggest the pomodoro method, which is a repeating cycle of a 25min work period and a 5min break, with longer 15min breaks every 4 work periods. You can change the times however you'd like to suit your needs though. Hope this helps in some way :)

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Hey Nicolette!

I hope you are doing well despite having to start college from home :/ The biggest thing I wish I had known my freshman year is to take 'necessary notes' during lecture. Often times students are so busy trying to jot down everything the professor is saying/ everything on the slides that they completely miss the lesson (I was very guilty of this my freshman year). Often times lessons actually stick much better if you work to truly understand what the professor is saying the first time and only take notes and stuff that is really really important. You can then go back and take more detailed notes if rewatching the lecture is an option!

Hope this helps :) I wish you the best of luck this year!

DavidTabib 3H

Postby DavidTabib 3H » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi Nicolette!
I find that studying with a set plan allows me to prioritize the material I review and makes sure I use my time effectively. Best of luck studying!

Becca Nelson 3F

Postby Becca Nelson 3F » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Hello!
One way that I study is by sitting specific times for specific studying. I like to review all of my notes, review practice problems and formulas, and then do some of the assigned textbook questions. These all really help me succeed on tests. BTW, I am feeling the same way... it is scary being a freshman going into our first set of midterms. Best of luck to you!

vanessanguyen3I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby vanessanguyen3I » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:29 pm

I like to create a schedule when midterms are beginning to creep up. I split each class up either by topics, or week by week. I do tons of practice problem and try to imitate the environment of the test. I also try to take breaks which I believe is super necessary when you are concentrating so intensely. I also try to avoid CRAMMING so I do not feel stressed.

AmyHo2K

Postby AmyHo2K » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Studying has been hard for me too. I usually watch the lectures, take notes on them, go to workshop, and then attempt the homework. If I'm still lost, I go to step-up. They also give out worksheets which was super helpful.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:32 pm

What has been most helpful for me has been putting all of the assignments due and exams for the entire quarter into a calendar as soon as I get my classes/syllabi. It is then less overwhelming because the road map of when things are due is very clear.

Lily Anne Garcia 1H

Postby Lily Anne Garcia 1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:38 pm

Hey Nicolette, I'm also a freshman this year. One thing I have been doing to study is looking through his outlines and modules. While the lectures are very informative, these additional resources on his website allow for extra practice and explanations. At the end of the day, repetition is what helps me understand. Everybody studies differently, you just have to experiment to see what works best for you.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”