How are you studying?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angel More
Been upvoted: 1 time

How are you studying?

Postby Angel More » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 am

Hi, I am having trouble being on top of my work so I was hoping so of you guys could kinda walk me through how you stay on top of Chem. Also do you have any tips on how to study for the midterm coming up?

Truman Chong Dis 3G

Re: How are you studying?

Postby Truman Chong Dis 3G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 am

I try to take notes as I watch the lecture and highlight things that seem to be emphasized during the lecture. Then on my own time I write down important concepts and equations on a review sheet. I use the review sheet as an outline on which I try to use my own words to explain concepts. If there are things I still don’t understand I try reading the textbook or watching videos to understand it. Also I try to watch the lecture twice and take notes both times before compiling them together. For mathematical concepts I try to do as many practice problems as possible and find the hard types of questions and develop a methodology for tackling them.

Kyle Dizon 3A

Postby Kyle Dizon 3A » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:27 am

Essentially, I think it is all about time management. Creating a time frame throughout the day for each of your classes can help you stay on top them. For chem, I try to watch the lecture twice, the first time trying to focus on writing all the information that I need and the second to pay attention in all the details that he provides explaining the concept he is going over. In regards of the math and calculation portions, I practice with sapling and reviewing the solutions once I completed the problem. Also, I try to challenge myself with more difficult problems in the book. Attending step up-sessions will also help you prepare for the upcoming midterms. I hope this helps!

simona_krasnegor_1C

Postby simona_krasnegor_1C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:30 am

I completely agree with the two posts above. Studying can often times be subjective so I would try to find the method that works best for you personally. For me, watching the lectures while taking notes and using the modules to review concepts I don't understand helps me, along with doing the sapling and textbook problems for additional practice to make sure I understand the concepts. Hope this helps!

Madison Muggeo 3H

Postby Madison Muggeo 3H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:36 am

I've found that staying organized and planning out what assignments I'm going to do each day really helps, and you can use a calendar app like google calendar to plan around your lectures. I personally find the UA workshops extremely helpful and I try to go to as many as I can fit in per week because they offer good practice problems.

Eliot Kagan 2G

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 pm

To add onto the posts above, I personally think the Audio-Visual Focus-Topics really straightened-out a lot of topics for me. If you are struggling with some of the topics there, you can re-watch and redo the post-assessment. I plan on redoing the post-assessment test and re-watching the video before the midterm to study.

Rylee Mangan 1K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Rylee Mangan 1K » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:31 pm

If I don't understand a concept I try to attend the practice problem workshops/review the modules on the Chem website. I have also found youtube is a great resource for the Chem 14A material. The videos are great visuals and help cement the math problems - especially since its hard to fully grasp only one example in the lecture. Also, there are so many resources in this class that it can get overwhelming. Instead of trying to squeeze all of them into your studying, discover which ones truly help and spend your time doing those.

Kyla Roche 2K

Postby Kyla Roche 2K » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:40 pm

I watch the lectures and take many notes. The audio-visual focus topics are also very helpful! I do the extra problems from the textbook that are recommended on the outline. I also look at chemistry community to see if there are any common questions that I was unaware I had.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:49 pm

I try to make sure I take advantage of all the resources given. I watch all the modules and lectures and take notes. Then I try to divide evenly time to read the textbook and finish all the practice problems. It also helps for me to look at the the key concepts and try to write them on flashcards for reference so I can always look at them to refresh my memory. Overall, it just comes down to practice problems for me.

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 pm

I agree with everyone above to take advantage of the resources available, such as the modules as well as the step-up and workshop sessions. Entering this chem class with having little chemistry knowledge, I have found that continuing to practice and put my time into attending these UA sessions have helped a lot for me to better understand the subject and get the chance to ask questions in real time. Also, before I take exams, I look over my notes and jot down topics or terms I don't automatically know or understand on index cards to quiz myself later to enforce my knowledge of the term. Hope this helps!

Jaden Ji 2K

Postby Jaden Ji 2K » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:45 pm

I've been sticking to the schedule given to me by UCLA for all my asycnhronous classes just to have a frame, so I don't push them off. I also have been taking notes during the lectures and boxing important things, as well as going through my classes and making note of what is due during the week at the beginning of the week so I can focus on reading through the topics and doing the recommended practice for each section. Good luck in ur studies!

Norah Gidanian 3D

Postby Norah Gidanian 3D » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi,
I watch all the lectures during the specified time and have been watching the four modules for each unit before we begin the unit so I am prepared and know what to expect for class. I also do the textbook notes as we go through the lectures. I am probably going to re-do all the textbook and sapling questions, look through my notes that I take during lectures, and if I have time watch the module videos as well.

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi, personally I find just doing the textbook review questions to be very helpful as well as taking notes on the Audio-Visual Focus-Topics modules + the assessments are very useful too. Good luck!

HilaGelfer_2H

Postby HilaGelfer_2H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi!

Here are a couple of things that help me. When watching the lecture, I make sure to take detailed notes and pause the video when needed. When we finish a certain topic in a video I also pause the video and try to write down or verbally explain the topic to myself in order to test what I actually understood from the lessons. I also find that reading the textbook while taking notes helps reaffirm all the topics learned in class. In order to practice I find it helpful to complete all the homework problems listed on the syllabus and ask my TA questions if there was one problem I could not complete. Lastly, I found that completing the audio-visual topics was very helpful in reaffirming all the things from the textbook and the lectures.

I hope this helps :)

Brian_Wu_3B

Postby Brian_Wu_3B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:27 pm

I see everyone mentioning step up sessions. What are those again? I might want to attend them if they help.

Brian Bui 3H

Postby Brian Bui 3H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi,

I agree with all of the points made above, but I think what's really important is doing a bunch of practice problems so that you can get used to figuring out what equations/methods to use in certain situations. A good source is the textbook problems which are optional but provide a bunch of opportunity for practice.

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Personally, I like to watch the modules and complete the post module assessment questions before I watch a lecture video. This lets me go into the lecture video already having some sort of understanding of what Lavelle will be covering in that lecture. After the lecture video, I complete practice problems from the textbook that correspond with the lecture and module videos. I usually repeat this process with every lecture :) And then I like to go back to the practice problems I completed at the end of each week to ensure that I still understand how to solve those problems / I still understand the overall content.

Javier Perez M 1H

Postby Javier Perez M 1H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Definitely doing a lot of practice problems helps. However, what is the best way to take notes during the recorded lectures? Sometimes I wait for him to go through the whole slide and other times I take the notes as he speaks and thing pop up on the slide.

Keshav Patel 14B 2B

Postby Keshav Patel 14B 2B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Reading the textbook and taking notes. I write down all the formulas that are important and highlight them. I complete all the given homework assignments that were labeled in the textbook, and I follow answer that are also given and check my answers and the work behind it.

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:26 pm

I agree with everyone's studying methods above but honestly what works for other people isn't always gonna work for you. So definitely try out everyone's suggestions but also figure out what helps you learn best.

For me, I'm also not particularly good at staying on top of work if I don't designate specific days I should study/get hw done. Having a study schedule and keeping a planner could help you if you really commit to it. Material-wise, I like studying the concepts behind the math (by taking notes from the book), it helps me understand what we're doing. One thing I would recommend for the midterm, though, is doing the practice problems listed in the syllabus (only one person mentioned that here). My TA says that those problems really encompass the things we should learn in lecture and that if we can do those problems without any external help, we're in good shape for the midterm.

Irene Nguyen 2J

Postby Irene Nguyen 2J » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:46 pm

All of the resources we have are really helpful, but audio-visual topic modules help me the most! The practice questions for each topic are really helpful for me and if I need a refresher for a topic, watching Bozeman Science videos are also really good.

There’s also a really good flashcard program I use called Anki that is super helpful. I believe it’s free on the laptop but might cost money in the app store (or at least for the iPhone). You can customize flashcards for fill in the blank, adding graphs, etc.

Joanne Yuh 3I

Postby Joanne Yuh 3I » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:50 pm

I mostly review my lecture notes and the Audio-Visual Focus-Topics videos. I asked some upperclassmen about reading the textbook and they recommended that I should read them if I had trouble understanding a concept but it's not necessary to read all of pages. I would definitely do the textbook practice problems because you should get as much practice as you can.

Jaden Joodi 3J

Postby Jaden Joodi 3J » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm

My strategy has been to watch lecture and take notes. Afterwards, I watch the audio-visual focus topics and take the post assessments. If I feel like I need some more practice, I try and do some of the recommended book problems

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 pm

I've just been taking notes from the lectures, and doing the textbook problems assigned for each unit. Something that really helps is attending the workshops, the UAs explain everything so well and the worksheets help out so much.
Last edited by Allan Nguyen 2G on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeram Kurada 3H

Postby Sreeram Kurada 3H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:01 pm

The way I'm studying for this class is by watching the lectures and doing the textbook problems. If I don't get any of the textbook problems I usually go over them with a study group I'm in. But if you don't have a study group, I would just go to the step up and UA sessions.

Margia Adriano 2A

Postby Margia Adriano 2A » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:06 pm

For me, I study by taking notes of the lectures and doing textbook problems. Typically when I do not understand something at first, I will read the textbook and see what their explanation is for a specific concept. I also ask on here if I still don't get it. If I don't get a textbook problem, that's usually when I head to office hours or UA sessions. It also really helps to be in a study group to keep you on task so that you don't wander while you're studying. Good luck with your studying!

Brianna Martilla 1C

Postby Brianna Martilla 1C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:04 pm

From what I've noticed Professor Lavelle stresses doing the homework problems which are on the syllabus. When I do the problems, I make sure not to check the textbook answer guide until I am done so that I'm not relying on it subconsciously. Also of course going to the drop-in sessions, office hours, or step-up sessions are helpful for individual problems or clarity.

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:23 pm

I plan to work through the textbook problems thoroughly in order to gain a better understanding of the concepts (rather than simply memorize them)!

Daniela_Martinez_3B

Postby Daniela_Martinez_3B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Even though I've already done the homework problems, I plan on picking a few of them and re-doing them to study. I will also go over my lecture/module notes and do some of the problems from the worksheets we work on during the UA workshops!

Sarah Huang 3A

Postby Sarah Huang 3A » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 pm

I plan on reviewing my notes from past lectures and doing the textbook questions while attending step up sessions! I think it really helps to review or catch up on the weekend, even if it is overwhelming. Reaching out for help and finding someone to hold you accountable is a great idea as well!

Callan Howard

Postby Callan Howard » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Wow, lots of great tips. I second all of them! I'd also recommend knowing when to stop studying for the midterm, like don't stay up all night before. Trust in yourself that you know the content and try and relax for the upcoming exam.

Simran Bains 2C

Postby Simran Bains 2C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 pm

I just set aside a certain amount of time everyday to study and I think the key is to keep on practicing out of textbook questions.

Marco Morales 2G

Postby Marco Morales 2G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 pm

I quickly skim my notes after every lecture. Then, every other day that we dont have lecture, I review my notes again and if I have time I just quickly skim the pre-recorded lecture to review the most important concepts. Then on weekends I just review all of my notes of that week. It helps retain the info.

Varsha Ravi 3E

Postby Varsha Ravi 3E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 am

Like everyone has said, I take lecture notes and do the textbook readings, but I also found that the Audio Visual modules are super useful! Also, the Step-Up sessions and Workshop problems are really good if you need any extra practice apart from the textbook problems.

Hannah Rim 2D

Postby Hannah Rim 2D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:09 am

Honestly, I'm struggling trying to keep up with everything as well. But everyone here gave great tips! Forcing myself to sit down and work at an allotted time really helped me get work done. The Audio-Visual Focus-Topics have been a very useful resource for me but I think the most important thing to stay on top of is practice problems. Exposing myself to a lot of different problems has made concepts clearer and chemistry more tolerable. Hope this helps and good luck!

Namratha Gujje

Postby Namratha Gujje » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:10 am

Personally, I like to make my own study guide. I will organize a document filled with information that I put into my own words on a google document or something. After making the study guide, I test myself on the most relevant information. Taking good notes, and reviewing the notes are also very important for being successful in the class. Go over your notes and sometimes annotating your notes also helps.

Britney Tran IJ

Postby Britney Tran IJ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:12 am

The audio visual videos and step up sessions are super helpful! I like to plan out which questions ill do for the week, and if I need any help I'll refer back to the textbook or go to office hours!

Ximeng Guo 2K

Postby Ximeng Guo 2K » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 am

Take notes + do the practice questions + ask questions on Chem community

Yolanda_Xing_3A

Postby Yolanda_Xing_3A » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:19 am

Take notes, do all the practice questions and constant go back and review them.

Jason Knight - 1F

Postby Jason Knight - 1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 am

I typically gather all due dates and lectures assigned per week and disperse the content little-by-little so I am furthering my understanding of chemistry every day instead of just every other weekday. I believe repetition and completing the practice problems are a great way to be on top of the schedule each week.

AJForte-2C

Postby AJForte-2C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am

I usually take notes on lecture and add to them when I read the book. The things that come up in both lecture and the textbook I usually make flashcards to help me study later on.

Arti_Patel_3H

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Personally, the problems in the audio-visual focus topics are the most helpful for me. I do them multiple times to make sure I know the content thoroughly.

Jessica Hu 3L

Postby Jessica Hu 3L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Wow, there are definitely a lot of good ideas here. Personally, I find that practice problems always help me the most (this goes for every stem subject I've been in). I've actually never been to a step-up session but will def consider going at some point. But yes, 100% practice.

Reese_Gover2K

Postby Reese_Gover2K » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 pm

I've been taking notes throughout the lecture and highlighting key terms/vocab/important concepts. Then I read through my notes and then if there's any info I feel I'm missing I watch that part of the lecture again to see if it's been answered, and if not I write my questions to either post here or ask my TA. Then I write the answer next to the question in my notes.

apurva-3E

Postby apurva-3E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Watch lectures, add notes from the book. Do all of the assigned practice problems. You should be good :)

Annette Fishman

Postby Annette Fishman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Studying is subjective and depends on how you work best personally. For me, I watch the lectures while taking notes to highlight key points. I also do the Sapling along with homework problems if I need additional help understanding a concept. Reading the textbook as well!! Use a planner or calendar to plan dates where you'll watch lectures

Lauren Strickland 1B

Postby Lauren Strickland 1B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:01 pm

I have been taking notes on the lectures and discussions. I have also been doing practice problems to see if I understand the concepts.

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:08 pm

For me, taking notes during the lectures and highlighting key concepts or learning objectives helps me to better understand what I am learning. I also pay attention to practice problems or examples given in discussion section to further understand certain steps or ideas I might have been confused about.

Akriti Ratti 1H

Postby Akriti Ratti 1H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi!

I take "rough" notes during the lectures. Later on, I'll go through my notes again and rewrite them, including more of the fundamental textbook problems that are listed on the outlines.

Nane Onanyan 1G

Postby Nane Onanyan 1G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm

I learn best from learning from my mistakes.
My best study method for chemistry is doing as many practice problems as I can and fixing my mistakes. When concepts arise in textbook problems that I am not familiar with, I will usually go back and read that part of the textbook. I also take notes while doing my Sapling HW.

Arnav Saud 2C

Postby Arnav Saud 2C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm

For me, I typically watch the lecture and take notes of the stuff on the powerpoint and then take notes of stuff that I feel is important that was stated or drawn on the whiteboard.
Also, I generally recommend reading the textbook before the lecture takes place and to take notes. If not, it's good to take notes from the textbook right after the lecture (or on the same day). It helps to reinforce what was in the lecture and clear up anything confusing.
Generally, I struggle a lot with doing problems, so I recommend you just do the practice problems in the syllabus and look over your mistakes.
The modules on the website are also a good source of practice problems and review questions.

Micaela Estavillo

Postby Micaela Estavillo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm going to be doing a lot of practice problems to prepare for the midterm.

Simi Kapila_3E

Postby Simi Kapila_3E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:15 pm

For studying I would definitely recommend watching the modules he posts, and doing the post/pre-assesments that go with them, because they have practice problems and you can get more experience by doing them, and sometimes in those videos he will include things he doesn't include in the normal lectures, which I have found helps my understanding.

Shannon Moore 2L

Postby Shannon Moore 2L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:46 pm

I think practice problems are the best way to study and are key to knowing how to approach problems from all angles. I think sometimes tests feel really difficult when questions come up that you know you've studied but you don't know how to solve them because you've never encountered that type of question. So doing as many practice problems as possible is the best way to prepare for anything that could come up on a test. Also if you have a friend that's also in chem I find that teaching my peers concepts with my own words really helps to solidify my understanding!

Liam Bertrand 3

Postby Liam Bertrand 3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Totally agree. It's key to expose yourself to as many types of problems as possible before the test.

Postby 605291562 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:56 pm

I have always found outlining to be really helpful for me! I also think that during this weird time it is even more important to schedule out time to study and time for breaks so you are not cramming at the last minute or drive yourself crazy studying all the time. Hope this helped :)

David Liu 1E

Postby David Liu 1E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm taking notes/outlining the lectures and sample problems bc they're really useful for understanding the concepts first! I've been doing sapling problems for hw after and then reviewing a few textbook questions on subjects I'm struggling in! I think that starting from the lectures and working your way down with the different concepts that we cover is r good (like a large concept map!)

jasmineculilap_3F

Postby jasmineculilap_3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm using the fundamentals/problems posted on the syllabus as study materials. I take notes on the fundamentals, watch the audio-visual modules, and take notes on the lectures.

Megan Lu 3D

Postby Megan Lu 3D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi! I was planning on taking notes as I watched the lectures and then annotating my notes after all the lectures to see which parts I am least familiar with. (Unfortunately, my iPad deleted all my notes so now I have no lecture notes to review.) I think that doing practice problems is the most effective way of studying, though, so the recommended textbook questions are probably where I will spend the most time.

Postby 305572629 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:18 pm

I'm struggling with studying because although I have learned about all of these topics previously, they can become confusing and sometimes questions are worded difficultly. So, I am looking up a bunch of old practice problems for these topics that I used in AP Chemistry in high school just to make sure I'm remembering everything correctly.

Postby 305405193 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 pm

I go through the lectures and sometimes I can't understand the topics and YouTube really helps me understands them since ai don't have time to go through all the Audio-Visual Topics. I understand what it is like to not have time and I have to stay up really late watching them but it's worth it since I could finally understand what Lavelle teaches in his lecture.

Claudia_Danysh_2B

Postby Claudia_Danysh_2B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi! So basically, I watch the lectures and then do the problems in discussion. If I realize I'm having trouble understanding a topic covered during a lecture or trouble answering a practice question from discussion section on my own, I either watch the lecture again or try to understand why we approached a problem that I initially found confusing the way that we did. Ultimately, if I find that I'm still having trouble understanding something, I go to office hours and ask for a better explanation! :)

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 pm

hey so what i do is i watch the lectures while taking notes and then review the modules. After reviewing the modules, I start changing and rearranging my notes for them to be clearer. Also, taking my time with sapling and the homework helps too.

Kyla Villarama 1E

Postby Kyla Villarama 1E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Like many of the other people on this thread, I take notes on the lectures and review problems from discussion as well as sapling and textbook questions. I'm going to try to work through the practice problems listed in the learning outcome outlines.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 pm

I have been trying to stay on top of taking notes for the lectures and using that to study off of. I use Cornell style notes so that helps me answer "practice questions" almost in order to refresh my memory on all topics

Agustina Santa Cruz 2F

Postby Agustina Santa Cruz 2F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey, I think a key step in memorizing information from lectures is to write a summary at the end and then try to recite it later that day so the information stays fresh. Do chem everyday even if it's just for 15-20 minutes. Textbook problems are good to get a feel for similar questions on the test and see the setup. Stay on top of lectures, because I tend to sometimes procrastinate since they're asynchronous. Like others have said, have a planner so you can go to step-up and workshop sessions. What you put in, is what you get out of it.

Algernon Jackson 2l

Postby Algernon Jackson 2l » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:08 pm

The modules on the chemistry website are a literal lifesaver.

Sandra Kim 2B

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 pm

Doing all the textbook problems has been a good way to memorize the concepts and steps to solving problems :)

Giselle Granda 3F

Postby Giselle Granda 3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:24 pm

What personally works for me when it comes to studying is first watching the lecture and then taking notes on it. After watching the lecture, I go over my notes again to make sure that I understand what Dr. Lavelle went over. I make note of any concepts or equations that I don't understand, and then spend time trying to master those concepts/equations by watching videos online, searching online, or reading the textbook. After that I work on the recommended textbook questions and work them out to the best of my ability. I check my answers once I finish those and go over any that I missed and try to understand where I went wrong, then I redo the problems (that I missed). That is pretty much it. I think it is just really important to review consistently when you have the chance, and spend most of your time trying to master key ideas that you struggle with the most. *Also you can read ahead before watching the new lectures, maybe that can accelerate your learning process!

Jonathan3B

Postby Jonathan3B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 pm

I am also struggling to stay on top of things, so what I am doing to study is watching YouTube videos on each topic he covered, taking notes, and doing some practice problems to ensure I know what I am doing. Lavelle's videos are very useful but sometimes I get confused and I am unable to ask questions, so I will watch a YouTube video on that topic and it will usually clear up any confusion I had. I am planning on doing this for ever topic we covered from week 1-3 in hopes of being ready for the mid term.

Joyce Pang 2H

Postby Joyce Pang 2H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Practicing how to do the problems is the best way for me to learn. I find seeing examples all laid out and then using those methods as an outline for my own homework/ practice problems to be really helpful in figuring out what to do.

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 pm

The modules, with its pre and post assessments, have been incredibly helpful to better understand the concepts. Being able to be exposed to as many problems as possible I think is the most effective way to study and engrain the lessons. Additionally, I would also agree with the posts above that you can know when you understand a concept if you are able to teach it to someone else.

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:39 pm

I do the pre and post assessments which help me quite a bit, and really just try to get ahead of the topics of what Dr. Lavelle will be teaching us in the next week. I find great use in the textbook problems and all the additional office hours resources as well so I would definitely recommend those as well.

Caelin Brenninkmeijer 1G

Postby Caelin Brenninkmeijer 1G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Active recall is an excellent studying method! Combined with spaced repetition, you should be able to pass any test. Constantly re-exposing yourself to the material would be a game changer. It definitely takes some self discipline, though. A good method to help implement active recall is using cornell notes. That way you'd be making questions while you're making notes.

Sean Phen

Postby Sean Phen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi, I am a freshman, and I have had the same problem recently during my first week of UCLA. Being organized is definitely a top priority. What I did is set a schedule on google calendar, and you can also add any tasks, assignments, or tests as a reminder. I also started to work ahead, so I do not fall behind. Once you fall behind, it is really hard to catch back up. Two things that I had to do was cutting down my video games and fixing my sleep schedule in order to allow more time for homework and studying and to wake up on time for lectures and discussions. To study for the midterm coming up, I would take notes and review them. I would also practice the problems that he provides us, and you can also ask for help from the professor and TA if you are unclear about anything.

Gustavo_Chavez_1K

Postby Gustavo_Chavez_1K » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 pm

I too am having trouble staying on top of chem. It is incredibly easy to get behind especially since lectures are recorded and the homework is the sundays. But I study by taking notes during lecture and highliting key concepts and terms. I also make sure to look into khan academy videos on math concepts that I don't understand. To further comprehend these concepts I do extra textbook or online problems. Hope this can help!

Gustavo_Chavez_1K

Postby Gustavo_Chavez_1K » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 pm

I too am having trouble staying on top of chem. It is incredibly easy to get behind especially since lectures are recorded and the homework is the sundays. But I study by taking notes during lecture and highliting key concepts and terms. I also make sure to look into khan academy videos on math concepts that I don't understand. To further comprehend these concepts I do extra textbook or online problems. Hope this can help!

Danielle Goldwirth 3F

Postby Danielle Goldwirth 3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:07 pm

While watching the lectures, I take notes and highlight the key concepts along the way. Doing the textbook problems over and over again is my favorite way to solidify my understanding of concepts and ability to quickly solve problems to prepare for tests. The UA workshop and step-up sessions have been incredible methods of reviewing the lecture material and gaining more insight into the different problems that can be produced from one specific concept (so that is very helpful in studying). Reading the textbook and watching Youtube videos is a good way to clarify topics and see various perspectives for explanations. I agree with other people who have posted in that making sure you are constantly reviewing material can ease the process of studying to not overwhelm ourselves later on and always be comfortable/prepared to learn more new topics. Attending Dr. Lavelle's office hours also helps keep engagement with the class.

Jerry_T

Postby Jerry_T » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 pm

I try to study with my friend for one hour each week. It's almost like having a gym buddy in terms of accountability. We both benefit from this by explaining to each other our understanding of the concepts covered and asking questions we previously didn't think of.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 pm

For me, it's all about doing the assigned problems and maybe even going out of your way to look for example problems from different sources (if you can). Chemistry's all about problem solving and learning the concepts as you go along. Though, for the tests Lavelle will assign, I'd recommend really focusing on practicing your problem solving skill and speed. Good luck! :DD

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Hey,
I have been studying by obviously watching the lectures but on top of that the audio-visual concepts help a ton. By doing those it really reviews the lectures and going to his office hours helps review the content a lot. The more practice you have, the easier it will be.

Bella Bursulaya 3G

Postby Bella Bursulaya 3G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 pm

Don't wait until the last moment! study a little each day. that is the way that i do it!

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 pm

I have mostly been using the lectures and modules to study so far. I just take notes on each video which helps me remember more than if I just watched because it is easy to zone out and not really learn anything. If you want more, there is tons of stuff I haven't checked out yet on Lavelle's website. I am definitely going to be looking into some of the practice work because for me that helps a lot so I am confident when I see those types of problems on quizzes/tests.

jia207

Postby jia207 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 pm

In addition to everything that other students said, I also do practice problems on Khan Academy. They give really great step by step explanations of problems and motivate you to do a certain number of problems and keep going.

Jack Kettering 3D

Postby Jack Kettering 3D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:44 pm

I’m studying by just looking over lecture notes every night to reinforce the material as well as do as many practice problems as possible :)

joshtully

Postby joshtully » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:45 pm

I actively take notes during lectures, and then I use those notes for homework. I have not done many textbook problems yet, but I plan to do them to study for exams.

Nick Saeedi 1I

Postby Nick Saeedi 1I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi,

I take notes during the lecture and try to stay engaged with the lecture by asking questions in chemistry community. I usually try to read the text before the class and do the text book assignments on the weekends. For the midterm I am planning on reviewing the notes, textbook questions, sapling questions, and the worksheets that my TA is giving our section.

Hope this helps

Joseph Hsing 2C

Postby Joseph Hsing 2C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:53 pm

For me, the most important aspect of studying is being an active questioner and try to think of every aspect of a question and bring them up during discussions or this forum. Still working on trying to find the right balance of textbook questions that works for me.

Sarah Hernandez 1F

Postby Sarah Hernandez 1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 pm

For me, taking notes while watching the lectures or other videos like the ones from the audio visual focus topics is really helpful. I think it forces me to pay attention and I can always pause or rewind which is nice because you can't do that during a live lecture. To make sure I don't fall behind or procrastinate too much I make sure to watch the recorded lectures during the time they would have normally been held so that might be helpful for you.

Michelle Magana 2B

Postby Michelle Magana 2B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 pm

I was going to ask the same question as to how are people studying and this thread helped a lot ! Thank you to everyone

Charlie Russell 2L

Postby Charlie Russell 2L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:04 pm

BruinWalk reviews of this course mentioned that there are some unemphasized material that can show up on later tests. For this reason, I think you should try to get well written notes down of the lecture and highlight problem areas as you go. Also, what's YOUR best time to study. Might it be the morning? Before you get tired? Right after the class lecture? Ask yourself those questions and come up with a weekly plan!

Jaden Kwon 3C

Postby Jaden Kwon 3C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:07 pm

I watch the lectures and take notes as well as do the homework assignments. I also read the textbook and do practice problems if I have extra time. Finally, if I am struggling on a concept or problem I try and learn more about it from the internet.

Hasan Mirza 3F

Postby Hasan Mirza 3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:32 pm

This whole thread is super helpful, thanks for all the tips! Still trying to adjust to college classes lol.

Eve Gross-Sable 1B

Postby Eve Gross-Sable 1B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 pm

Are the practice problems that people are using in the book or from elsewhere? Typically I do the discussion section problems and the sapling hw but I'm not sure where else I should go for more problems because I feel like I am not that good at the application.

Danielle DIS2L

Postby Danielle DIS2L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 pm

I would suggest going to Step Up Sessions because they really help you have a better comprehension of the topic. Also, try to space out the work that you are doing so that you would not cram all the material within 2 days or so. Also, forming study groups would be really helpful so you guys can go over the practice problems together!!

Madeline Marron 1I

Postby Madeline Marron 1I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 pm

Do we have to remember all of the equations and constants or will we be given an equation sheet to use during the midterm?

Teti Omilana 1G

Postby Teti Omilana 1G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 pm

To answer the question from above the extra practice problems besides Sapling are from the book! He gave them to us under the "Outlines" for each unit on the class website and they're also on the syllabus. I'm pretty sure some of those questions are taken straight from the textbook and put on midterms and exams so they should be really good practice!

Diana Aguilar 3H

Postby Diana Aguilar 3H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 pm

I study by taking notes on the lectures and doing some of the pratice problems from the book so I can use them as a future reference for problems I may see on homework assignments or exams. I also make sure to highlight important topics in my notes and also keep them organized, as well as make note of topics I am not understanding so I can get help with them later on. I also think the modules are a good resource to use if you are not understanding a topic that is being covered in the lectures. I recommend doing the modules on his website, especially if they cover a topic you are not understanding.

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:49 pm

I have had some trouble navigating and managing this class as well. Thank you for all the tips, they were all very helpful!!

ColmConnolly3D

Postby ColmConnolly3D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:51 pm

I honestly think one of the best ways to study is to teach others. I have a friend in this class, and we take turns explaining how to do difficult problems to each other in theory, then the other person follows the steps laid out and sees if they got the right answer according to the SSM on sapling. By following their "teacher's" instruction's to a t, they get practice performing calculations and the teacher gets feedback on their problem-solving methodology. This creates a symbiotic relationship between both parties and allows for us to alternate turning off one side of our brain, leading to less burnout. Hope this helps!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”