Study tips?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Study tips?

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 pm

I have been attempting to do the lectures, one lavelle discussion section, sapling, almost every workshop, textbook problems and modules each week but this has been a bit hard to keep up with. How have you all been studying for this class? I am worried about falling behind since I am having some trouble keeping up with this and would really appreciate if anyone has any tips as to how they lay out their week of chem studying :)

Jasmin Kumar 1G

Re: Study tips?

Postby Jasmin Kumar 1G » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:48 am

For studying, I am going to be doing as much textbook problems that I can, because it will help me understand how to go about doing a problem, and what to look for in problems. Im probably just going to review notes, and since we get equation sheet and a periodic table, Im not going to worry about memorizing anything. Just get as much practice as you can, especially with topics that you are struggling with :)

Ashlen Bullock 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ashlen Bullock 1H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:50 am

I think you are doing more than enough. I am just trying to do practice problems, read the textbook, and take notes.

Sameer Chowdhury 3C

Postby Sameer Chowdhury 3C » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Most of my studying for this class revolves around the textbook. I'm going through it, taking notes, and doing the practice problems that Lavelle has recommended. I also did up to question 19 on Sapling.

Sophia Stewart 3F

Postby Sophia Stewart 3F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:43 pm

I've just been watching the lectures and taking notes on them, then once I learn the material needed, doing those textbook questions, and of course the Sapling homework. The textbook problems don't take long, and there aren't that many. They're really good for practice though. Plus I've heard that a lot of test questions come from the textbook questions.

Hannah_Kim_1I

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Like everyone else has been saying, the textbook problems are probably the best study tool for us. I heard someone saying that since the textbook problems aren't required, Lavelle will most likely format his test questions similar to them to reward students who have been going through them. I think the most effective way to study the material is honestly just to have a ton of practice with it.

Violet Kwan 3H

Postby Violet Kwan 3H » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:25 pm

I definitely feel the same way! But I also think that you are preparing well for the exam if you are able to do all these and understand them. I tried to finish all the textbook questions earlier so that I know what I need to practice, and will probably go over the review ones just because textbook questions reflect the exam questions. Throughout this coming week before my exam, I will probably space out reading over my lecture notes and looking at the workshop questions as well to practice the ones that I missed. Good luck! :)))

EmilyC_3D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby EmilyC_3D » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:27 pm

The best way to study for me is to get as much practice as I possibly can. I try to do as many practice problems as I can possibly find. The UA sessions, the textbook & Sapling problems, and TA discussion sections have definitely been really helpful resources for me, along with everything else Dr. Lavelle offers!

Arti_Patel_3H

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Personally, the UA sessions have been very helpful. I have also been going over the more difficult textbook problems once on my own and another time with a small study group which helped me understand the content.

Gwendolyn Hill 2F
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Gwendolyn Hill 2F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm honestly sad that there won't be any more prerecorded lectures on his own website after these outlines, because for me they have been super helpful to watch before his lectures that he posts on CCLE. Those assessment surveys have been where I have done some practice, and I've been doing some textbook problems but I should probably be doing more of those problems...

eve444

Postby eve444 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:44 am

practice problems really help! always knowing what you did wrong or right and going through the process of trying to understand everything helps a ton. i also find that trying to teach and explain the topics to someone else can be an effective form of studying.

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:46 am

I would say try multiple practice problems, and watch youtube videos that give u practice problems because they walk you through each step! i have also been studying with friends and asking them for help when I am confused about a specific step or problem.

emily3L

Postby emily3L » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm

All of these comments have great advice, but on top of all of them, make sure you get good sleep the night before the test!

ElizabethKarlin2E

Postby ElizabethKarlin2E » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:29 am

I have been finding that going through the textbook problems as much as I can has been really helpfull.

Tylina Guo 1K

Postby Tylina Guo 1K » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:40 am

I agree and think that doing the textbook problems will come in handy, especially considering he takes many of the questions on the exams from the textbook.

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 pm

While studying for midterms, I found it helpful to rewatch lectures. Once I had done some practice with the topic, watching it again helped clear up any questions I had and solidify the concepts.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”