Midterm Question

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sean Phen

Midterm Question

Postby Sean Phen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Hello,
As I was preparing for the upcoming midterm, I just wanted to ask if constants and equations will be given already? So all we need to prepare for is to memorize the meaning of each variable and other terms and concepts for this midterm? Please let me know if there is anything else we would need to study or any other study tips that you may have for this upcoming midterm. Thank you!

Nayra Gharpetian 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Midterm Question

Postby Nayra Gharpetian 3F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Yes we will be given constants, equations, and the periodic table. There are two links Professor Lavelle's website with equations and the periodic table. I would highly recommend printing those out! For studying I would just focus on understanding the constants and equations and when to apply them.

lauren_tran_1L

Postby lauren_tran_1L » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:43 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle sent an email regarding this question! He attached a periodic table and a constant/equation sheet that we need to be printed before the exam. I hope this helps!

SavannahScriven_1F

Postby SavannahScriven_1F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Lavelle sent out an email on 10/21 with a reference sheet and periodic table that we are allowed to use during the midterm. If have didn't receive that email, they are also on his class website!

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:46 pm

I believe you just need to be able to use the equations they give you in context with the questions they ask. As long as you know what they are used for I believe you should be fine. Also the homework problems and readings would be good to look over.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Also, make sure that you have the equations and periodic table printed out, as you wont be able to just have them pulled up on your computer.

Adalia 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Adalia 3E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:14 pm

https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... ations.pdf
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... _IUPAC.pdf
These are the two documents he sent, in case anyone didn't get the email!

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 pm

As a follow up question, will we have access to the electromagnetic spectrum or are we expected to memorize the wavelength ranges for the different wave type?

Adalia 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Adalia 3E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:24 pm

From what I've seen, it's best to remember the wavelength range for visible light and the general order of the spectrum, but I don't think we need to memorize every single range for every single type of electromagnetic radiation

Bailey Giovanoli 1L

Postby Bailey Giovanoli 1L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:29 pm

My TA informed my class that we would need to know the electromagnetic spectrum on our own. She said we would not me be given wavelengths, so we should know off the top of our head. She recommended that we learn the different wavelengths for the different colors of visible light because it’s likely that it will come up on the mid term. She posted a diagram for our class. I would send it over but CCLE is down right now. I’m pretty sure it’s the same diagram Lavelle uses in his lecture, so I’m sure if you wanted the exact diagram he uses you could go find it in a lecture:)

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”