Test Anxiety

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mia Meza

Test Anxiety

Postby Mia Meza » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:36 pm

I am not sure if anyone struggles with test anxiety... if you do, what are some techniques you guys use to deal and control test anxiety? Thank you.

Jaden Ji 2K

Re: Test Anxiety

Postby Jaden Ji 2K » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:41 pm

I have some test anxiety! I usually just like to do the easier problems first, and if I get to stressed from the harder ones I take a minute to sit back and calm down again before going back to working on the problem. I hope this helps!

AdilaAhmed3I

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Mia Meza wrote:I am not sure if anyone struggles with test anxiety... if you do, what are some techniques you guys use to deal and control test anxiety? Thank you.

I try to calm my self first by just breathing because I find that they first thing that happens to me is that my breathing starts becoming weird and then i can't focus on the test. When actually doing the test, i take a couple seconds to read the question and first figure out what it's asking. If I know it's going to take a little bit of time, i try to go ahead and do questions that are easier for me and then come back to the harder questions because I am more calm now.

AlyssaMaynard1C

Postby AlyssaMaynard1C » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:45 pm

Jaden Ji 3K wrote:I have some test anxiety! I usually just like to do the easier problems first, and if I get to stressed from the harder ones I take a minute to sit back and calm down again before going back to working on the problem. I hope this helps!

I like to do this also, but I try to not let a question throw me off for the rest of the exam. Just because one question is really tough doesn't mean I'll fail all the other questions.

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:55 pm

I try not to get too stuck on difficult problems so I'll make not of questions I'm unsure about and revisit them later. I'm also a lot less nervous when I feel confident going into the test, so I like to do a lot of practice problems until I'm at the point where I can correctly answer most of them and I can reassure myself that I know what I'm doing.

Adrienne Yuh 2B

Postby Adrienne Yuh 2B » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:10 pm

I think a helpful tip is to read through all the problems first, without spending too much time on hard ones. This allows you to think about it or get hints from later questions, without wasting your effort or time. Pausing for a bit and forcing yourself to relax is a good way to calm your nerves, too.

vanessanguyen3I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby vanessanguyen3I » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:46 pm

I used to have really bad test anxiety to the point where sometimes I simply couldn't complete problems because I kept on flipping through the pages of the exams and panicking! What's helped me though is taking a deep breath and taking a couple seconds to ground myself and go through one problem at a time. I also try to avoid looking at the amount of time I have left because that really can add to my stress. I also noticed I get the MOST test anxiety when I feel like I haven't studied enough, so I would suggest really preparing so that you feel confident. Hope this helps!

Brian Bui 3H

Postby Brian Bui 3H » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Definitely understand how you feel. I guess what helps for me is to take multiple deep breaths before I start, and once I'm in, I just get in the zone and forget about it fortunately :P

Nathan Chu 3H

Postby Nathan Chu 3H » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:19 pm

Taking a few deep breaths a few minutes before starting the test always helps me calm down. Getting a good night of rest the day prior to the test also works for me. Hope this help!

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:28 pm

I get really anxious before tests to the point where I'm shaking. Sometimes breathing exercises or even some light meditation before tests help me a lot.

Annette Fishman
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Annette Fishman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:34 am

I take a few deep breaths. I get less anxious when I know that I studied to my fullest potential, so it puts me in the mindset that I am going to try my BEST. When I start my test and am unable to do the first few questions that makes me more stressed out. So I either take it slow or take the test backwards. Make sure to check your work to avoid silly mistakes, but this is how I go through tests (with bad anxiety).

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 am

Honestly, I get really tensed up prior to a test and can't decide whether or not I want to study the morning of--which I usually end up doing--but what I would suggest is freeing your mind at least an hour prior to the test. I do this by going on YouTube or Tiktok and just forgetting about everything.

Kayla Booker 1F

Postby Kayla Booker 1F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 am

AdilaAhmed2L wrote:
Mia Meza wrote:I am not sure if anyone struggles with test anxiety... if you do, what are some techniques you guys use to deal and control test anxiety? Thank you.

I try to calm my self first by just breathing because I find that they first thing that happens to me is that my breathing starts becoming weird and then i can't focus on the test. When actually doing the test, i take a couple seconds to read the question and first figure out what it's asking. If I know it's going to take a little bit of time, i try to go ahead and do questions that are easier for me and then come back to the harder questions because I am more calm now.

Yea, I do the same, just try to focus on my breathing because my heart beat will start to speed up so I try to calm myself down

Charlotte Adams 1A

Postby Charlotte Adams 1A » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:05 am

When I am about to take a very stressful test or give a presentation, I take a minute and raise my shoulders, kinda like a turtle. I let the tension build up for 30 seconds and then I take a deep breath and lower my shoulders. I feel like it gets rid of some of the stress. Its kinda weird but I saw someone did a study on it and it worked. Also meditations is very helpful!

Sukhkiran Kaur 3I

Postby Sukhkiran Kaur 3I » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:36 pm

It's hard for me to control any anxiety I get before a test, but if I start feeling anxious while taking a test, I just leave the problem(s) that are giving me trouble and do the ones I know. Usually it gives me more confidence to go back and solve the other ones, or at least look at them in a calm manner.

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:49 pm

The most important thing for me to do is to get a good night's sleep the night before I take any exam. I realized that when I take exams after sleeping for less than 7 hours before, I tend to have the most test anxiety. But now, after I get a full night's rest, I always make sure to drink a glass of water and eat a good snack/meal to fill me up before I take an exam. If I am still angsty after this, I put on calm piano music or ocean waves because that helps me relax :)

Ashley Kim 3H

Postby Ashley Kim 3H » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:05 pm

I always listen to some good music before test anxiety so I feel more confident going into the test! When I'm actually taking the test, I make sure to read each question super carefully because they can get tricky. After I look at the answer choices, I always use process of elimination to determine what answers would be the most appropriate. Make sure to take deep breaths before the exam; being all jittery and anxious will only do more harm than good. :)

Kevin Pilcher 3J

Postby Kevin Pilcher 3J » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Breathing techniques and warm tea always help me when I'm feeling anxious. If you have the time, try taking a nap while you're wrapped up in a nice blanket.

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:03 pm

I have test anxiety and what i generally do is never study an hour before the test (some people say even 10 minutes) it just stresses me out even more. During that time, relax and take deep breaths--maybe go on a walk. You should accept the fact that you know what you know and scrambling before an exam won't help.

Daria Obukhova 2B

Postby Daria Obukhova 2B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Controlling anxiety can be super hard for me, but it usually stems from negative thoughts and doubt. So, if I ever feel like I'm starting to doubt myself on a problem or if a feel like it's hard, I skip it and move on right away. I don't want that feeling of doubt to carry on into the rest of the test so I put it off for a bit. Then, once I'm finished with problems I know how to do, I remind myself that I'm getting tested on things I've learned and seen before so there must be a way to figure it out.

Luveia Pangilinan 1A

Postby Luveia Pangilinan 1A » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi! I get this a lot and one of the worst things that have happened to me was I completely blanked out on my test until the very last minute. Tests are scary and everyone has the right to feel that way. One of the things I usually do is get enough sleep not just the day before but a few days prior. Make sure I stay hydrated. I tend to not cram whatever I studied cause that makes me more nervous. Instead, when your test is getting near, skim through what you have studied and not cram it. When it's the day of your test, take breathing exercises, and make sure you don't have an empty stomach. Just try your best and don't think about whether or not you'll do good.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:43 pm

One thing that really helps me is taking a break to go on a short walk. Channeling some of that nervous energy into physical activity helps a lot and being outside for a little bit can give you a boost of endorphins and make you feel a lot better!

Ralph Zhang 2L

Postby Ralph Zhang 2L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:48 pm

Before the test it is a good idea to get some fresh air outside to clear your mind. If you are stuck on a question during the test just move on to the rest of the test then come back to it later. Even if you still cannot figure it out just try your best and take an educated guess; partial credit is better than none.

Victoria_Sauceda_1B

Postby Victoria_Sauceda_1B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:50 pm

I think it’s very normal to experience test anxiety. What has helped me is knowing that I’m doing all that I can. I try not to get stuck on the same problem for too long and like to go through the questions and do the ones I know. Then I like to take it a step at a time.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Above all I try to remind myself that as long as I try my best, that's all I can do, and I try to eliminate factors that would contribute to being more stressed such as not eating well or drinking enough water or getting enough sleep the night before.

Edward Castro

Postby Edward Castro » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:41 pm

My best advice would test anxiety is to just take the time to focus on other things besides school. Your mental health is always important.

Jack Kettering 3D

Postby Jack Kettering 3D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:43 pm

To combat test anxiety I recommend taking a bunch of deep breaths before a test and I like to remind myself of all the preparation I’ve done to remind myself that I’ve got this test in the bag :)

Ke Huang 2G

Postby Ke Huang 2G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 pm

I get anxious when I have big exams too. Remember you are not the only one. I always try to take a jog to just relax and then go back to study when I feel too anxious. This really helps a lot.

Claire_Kim_2F

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:48 pm

For my test anxiety I just read out the questions and try to stay calm and realize its rlly not the end of the world if I dont do extremely well on this test like 5 years from now I wont rlly care nor will doing bad on one test affect my future.

Kyla Villarama 1E

Postby Kyla Villarama 1E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:54 pm

I get really bad test anxiety too :( I always try to make sure that I get a good night of rest the day before any exam. Right before I take a test I like to listen to upbeat music which makes me feel more prepared for it somehow lol. Be confident in what you know and remember to take deep breaths :)

Postby 305572629 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 pm

The exam was really stressful so it would be great to study with a group before the next one to avoid any test anxiety- support really helps.

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:56 pm

I feel as though studying in the minutes before a test only heightens anxiety, so try to just avoid that, relax, and be confident in what you know.

Ruochen Yang 3B

Postby Ruochen Yang 3B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:27 am

One best way to calm down is to be fully prepared! Just do some revisions and some extra questions and build some confidence. Also, having a good sleep or watching some videos can help. I would say having a pet is also a good way to relax when you are stressful and anxious.

Megan Hulsy 1A

Postby Megan Hulsy 1A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:20 am

I combat this by feeling prepared early on, like for tests I start to study early and I'm able to manage my time efficiently this way. I believe studying smarter not harder is the key, so it's best to take it easy!

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pm

I always make sure I start studying at least a few days in advance so I can prep until I feel like I'm ready/confident for the exam. What usually helps calm or reduce my anxiety is going through practice problems and making sure I know how to do all different types so if there's a similar question on the test, I'll know how to solve it. Right before the test, I tell myself not to stress too much about it because I've done the prep so stressing about it even more at this time won't help in any way. During the test, I always read the question fully before answering because when you're panicking, it's easy to miss the details. Take deep breaths and be confident in what you know!!

Antonio Garcia 3A

Postby Antonio Garcia 3A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:38 pm

I've always been a good test taker in terms of dealing with jitters and nerves, but when it comes to chemistry, no matter how much I study the nerves don't go away an I feel like they affect me during the test even? Any tips?

BKoh_2E

Postby BKoh_2E » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:37 pm

A good method to stay on track for a class is to make sure you truly understand all the material from one lecture before next class. That way you won't fall behind and feel overwhelmed. Right before starting a test if I feel nervous, I like to close my eyes for a few seconds and take a deep breath. That usually helps me stay focused for the duration of the exam.

Nandhini Ekambaram 1L

Postby Nandhini Ekambaram 1L » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:41 pm

I've learned that more practice reduces my anxiety. Especially for this class, there are plenty of practice problems in the textbook, UA sessions, and Sapling. After understanding all those questions, I feel more prepared to take the exam.

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:53 pm

I find taking deep breathes really helps. Also, whenever I find myself taking too much time on a problem I just move on the next problem and go back to it later. What helped me the most is just doing practice problems, so when it came to the test I knew what to do immediately.

Angelica Soriano 3L

Postby Angelica Soriano 3L » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:38 pm

When my anxiety gets really bad, I usually do something My HS english teacher taught me. I write down everything that could go wrong with the test and everything I'm worried about right before I take the test. Writing lets me vent my worries out and I feel like that really helps!

Massimo_Capozza_1G

Postby Massimo_Capozza_1G » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:59 pm

I think everyone gets test anxiety. I was super anxious for the last midterm and studied non-stop because I was anxious about my grade. In reality, however, the test wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. While taking the exam, I played some of my favorite music in the background to help keep me calm.

Kaley Qin 1F

Postby Kaley Qin 1F » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Mia Meza wrote:I am not sure if anyone struggles with test anxiety... if you do, what are some techniques you guys use to deal with and control test anxiety? Thank you.

I know our first midterm is done, but I think a good thing to do if you feel like you are breathing weirdly is to drink water during the test. Drinking water will force you to help calm down and I find that really helpful.

Chesca Legaspi 2E

Postby Chesca Legaspi 2E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:47 am

I know that sometimes when I get test anxiety, I tend to spiral so something I like to try to have nearby is a grounding item -- something to look at that can bring me back to center and remind me that everything is okay. Usually, before I go into a test, I leave myself a little post it on my laptop under my keyboard with some sort of motivational quote/reminder or some sort of silly drawing that'll bring me back to center whenever I start feeling really anxious. And as many people have advised before me, breathe! Remember that you're far more than your grades and that we're all in this together. :)

Jagveer 1I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Jagveer 1I » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:13 am

I always panic whenever I click the start button, so the first thing I do is take a deep breath and then I try to calmly proceed and slow down so that I do not miss something or misread the question. Whenever I do not understand a question I move on and come back to it when I feel ready.

Chelsea_Guzman_3C

Postby Chelsea_Guzman_3C » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:41 am

Usually before a test I get really anxious because I feel like I won't have enough time, but I take deep breathes and trust in myself. If I come across a problem that I don't understand right away, I move on to the next. Usually when I come back to it in the end, I'm more likely to remember it! Pacing myself and giving myself enough time for each problem reduces my anxiety.

Neel Bonthala 2G

Postby Neel Bonthala 2G » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:58 am

Also, remember to get tons of sleep beforehand! Being well rested is a huge part of being prepared -- which will definitely reduce test anxiety. I like to always wash my face before my exam, because I feel fresh and ready to take on the exam, and it also wakes me up.

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:26 am

My test anxiety is pretty bad so what i do is i try to breathe in really deep and hold it in and then exhale. Then, when the test starts i usually like to do the easy problems or the ones i understand the most and then move on to the more difficult ones.

Catie Donohue 2K

Postby Catie Donohue 2K » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:40 am

I agree that listening to music before a test helps me feel more confident and less anxious about it. One of my teachers also made us all stand up and do a power pose before our tests, which I know sounds so cheesy but it actually kind of helped me. I know that there is a lot of emphasis on getting a good amount of sleep the day before the test, but obviously don't overthink this to the point where you're stressing about not getting enough sleep and losing sleep because of it. Remember you know the material and recognize that you don't need a perfect night's sleep to do well.

Benjamin_Hugh_3F

Postby Benjamin_Hugh_3F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:19 am

Honestly, it's not that easy to fully get rid of your anxiety. Consider the test as another sapling assignment. You'll feel less pressured. Study hard for a couple of hours and take a break by listening to music or watching Netflix. Personally, this helps me a lot because it stops me from consistently worrying about the test, and I feel more productive. I hope everyone does well on the test!

Jonathan Banh 1G

Postby Jonathan Banh 1G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:47 am

You're definitely not alone on this! I tend to have really bad test anxiety, but recently I have been getting better at suppressing it. Before the exam, I like to take breaks from studying every now and then to keep my mental health in check. I feel that this is super important, yet often overlooked. During the test, if there is ever a moment of overwhelming nervousness, I like to take a few seconds to close my eyes, take some deep breaths, and relax. What's important is to remind yourself that you will be fine if you have been studying consistently. Hope this helps!

Jasmine Yi 1G

Postby Jasmine Yi 1G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I like to bring chocolate to my tests. Whenever I get nervous, I eat a little bit of it. It helps me stop thinking about the test and getting anxious. If you don't have chocolate, I've found that anything minty helps too.

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:36 am

For this midterm, I am trying not to really think about it--I just study the textbook and HW problems and try to create a mental block around the test lol. Studying while thinking about the actual test gives me sm anxiety and screws with my studying as the days get closer to the test.

Jasmin Kumar 1G

Postby Jasmin Kumar 1G » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:04 am

I look through all of the problems first, just to see what I'm working with, and then do the easiest problems first, and then move on to harder problems. You have to also remember that is just one test and one grade. If you do bad on test, brush it off and keep your head up!

Mia Meza

Postby Mia Meza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 am

Jonathan Banh 1G wrote:You're definitely not alone on this! I tend to have really bad test anxiety, but recently I have been getting better at suppressing it. Before the exam, I like to take breaks from studying every now and then to keep my mental health in check. I feel that this is super important, yet often overlooked. During the test, if there is ever a moment of overwhelming nervousness, I like to take a few seconds to close my eyes, take some deep breaths, and relax. What's important is to remind yourself that you will be fine if you have been studying consistently. Hope this helps!

Wow thank you everyone! I am definitely taking all your tips into consideration! I also wanted to share I found some methods on youtube to help with anxiety. There is something called butterfly taps so I have been trying to do that when I get anxious while studying :)

Mia Meza

Postby Mia Meza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:39 am

Kyla Villarama 3J wrote:I get really bad test anxiety too :( I always try to make sure that I get a good night of rest the day before any exam. Right before I take a test I like to listen to upbeat music which makes me feel more prepared for it somehow lol. Be confident in what you know and remember to take deep breaths :)

I will try music for sure! Thank you for the tip!

Mia Meza

Postby Mia Meza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 am

Vivian Chang 2H wrote:I always make sure I start studying at least a few days in advance so I can prep until I feel like I'm ready/confident for the exam. What usually helps calm or reduce my anxiety is going through practice problems and making sure I know how to do all different types so if there's a similar question on the test, I'll know how to solve it. Right before the test, I tell myself not to stress too much about it because I've done the prep so stressing about it even more at this time won't help in any way. During the test, I always read the question fully before answering because when you're panicking, it's easy to miss the details. Take deep breaths and be confident in what you know!!

Yes! I often second guess myself so I definitely think that practicing and quizzing myself will help with my confidence. Thank you!

Mia Meza

Postby Mia Meza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 am

Daria 3A wrote:Controlling anxiety can be super hard for me, but it usually stems from negative thoughts and doubt. So, if I ever feel like I'm starting to doubt myself on a problem or if a feel like it's hard, I skip it and move on right away. I don't want that feeling of doubt to carry on into the rest of the test so I put it off for a bit. Then, once I'm finished with problems I know how to do, I remind myself that I'm getting tested on things I've learned and seen before so there must be a way to figure it out.

I am definitely going to try this. I often get stuck on a problem and will freak out for the rest of the test. Thank you!

Melody Wu 2L

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:46 am

I take a moment to take a few deep breaths and reassure myself that I did put in the work studying so I will be okay. It also helps me to skip past a question if I can't figure it out so I'm not stressing with the time constraint + I find that at the end when I go back I'm in a clearer headspace since I finished all the other questions.

Faith Lee 2L

Postby Faith Lee 2L » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:47 pm

I get test anxiety too! I literally threw up during one of my AP tests my junior year of HS, even though I had already had experienced multiple the year before and had been completely fine. I like to take deep breaths to clear my head and the "buzzing" that can sometimes happen in my ears. I also find that talking myself through the test helps :)

Abby Lam 3F

Postby Abby Lam 3F » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I just always remind myself there’s so much more to life than one single test or quiz. I constantly tell myself it’ll be fine and it’ll be over so soon!

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Deep breathes throughout the whole test. Also remember that you have prepared, you just have to show your learning here. Take it slow and read the questions veryyy carefully.

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:23 pm

I try to avoid reviewing the content an hour before the exam. Last minute cramming often just freaks me out. So, prior to the test, I tend to just calm myself down. Also, don't spend too much time on a specific question. Move on and come back to it later.

LeahSWM 2E

Postby LeahSWM 2E » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:45 am

School is stressful and hard at times! Most students at this university put their 110% and leave little time for themselves. But please, if you put in the hours, take some time for yourself and do the things that make you happy or bring you peace. Don't overcrowd your brain, everything that you need is in there! You got this!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”