Grading Scale for Chem14A

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

lauren_tran_1L
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby lauren_tran_1L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 am

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what the exact grade scale for this class is in terms of percentages. Like for instance is an A a 94% or 93%? Thanks!

Meredith2E
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:04 pm
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Meredith2E » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm not exactly sure, I mostly try to estimate my grade based on the points I'm receiving (like getting points for chemistry community, the hw, etc). And then based on how my midterms go, I try to see what range I'm in (like whether I'm passing or not lol). I don't think Lavelle has specifically said what qualifies as A+, A, A- and all that.

Bethany Yang 2E
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Bethany Yang 2E » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Meredith1C wrote:I'm not exactly sure, I mostly try to estimate my grade based on the points I'm receiving (like getting points for chemistry community, the hw, etc). And then based on how my midterms go, I try to see what range I'm in (like whether I'm passing or not lol). I don't think Lavelle has specifically said what qualifies as A+, A, A- and all that.


When you are calculating based on points, in order to get an A- (assuming it would be 90%), have you also found that you could only miss 50 points overall? And would you say that is a reasonable amount to miss usually coming from the total of the midterms and final?

Meredith2E
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:04 pm
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Meredith2E » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Bethany Yang 2D wrote:
Meredith1C wrote:I'm not exactly sure, I mostly try to estimate my grade based on the points I'm receiving (like getting points for chemistry community, the hw, etc). And then based on how my midterms go, I try to see what range I'm in (like whether I'm passing or not lol). I don't think Lavelle has specifically said what qualifies as A+, A, A- and all that.


When you are calculating based on points, in order to get an A- (assuming it would be 90%), have you also found that you could only miss 50 points overall? And would you say that is a reasonable amount to miss usually coming from the total of the midterms and final?


Yeah I got that. And well I don't know how I feel about it yet. Part of me thinks that Lavelle has it that way to motivate us to do better on midterms and such, and to have an idea of where our grade is at. But part of me just freaks out. For example, after the first midterm, I just kept thinking about how I cant mess up on the next midterm if I want to get the A, and then during the second midterm, there was that lil voice that kept saying I couldn't afford to lose any points and yeah. Knowing you can miss only so many points seems to put even more stress.

lauren_tran_1L
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby lauren_tran_1L » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Meredith1C wrote:I'm not exactly sure, I mostly try to estimate my grade based on the points I'm receiving (like getting points for chemistry community, the hw, etc). And then based on how my midterms go, I try to see what range I'm in (like whether I'm passing or not lol). I don't think Lavelle has specifically said what qualifies as A+, A, A- and all that.


Oh okay thank you!

Kayko Lee 1C
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Kayko Lee 1C » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 pm

I remember people saying that sometimes, it really depends, that Lavelle can give points back or such at the end depending on the majority of student performance I believe. I wouldn't count on it too much tho ToT

Joel Meza 3I
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Joel Meza 3I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:25 am

I hope he does give back points, but maybe that would make us feel a little too comfortable.

Chesca Legaspi 2E
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Chesca Legaspi 2E » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 am

In general, it typically goes that a 93+ is an A and a 90-92.9 is an A-. I think an 87-89% is a B+, but I'm not really sure what the grading scale is past that. Also, another thing to be aware of is that most STEM classes don't round your grade up so even if you have a 92.9%, that would constitute an A- rather than an A. In terms of a possible curve, I'm pretty sure Dr. Lavelle has mentioned that he doesn't curve his classes, but even if he did, there definitely wouldn't be a down curve that would hurt you.

Joanne Yuh 3I
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Joanne Yuh 3I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 am

Chesca Legaspi 2F wrote:In general, it typically goes that a 93+ is an A and a 90-92.9 is an A-. I think an 87-89% is a B+, but I'm not really sure what the grading scale is past that. Also, another thing to be aware of is that most STEM classes don't round your grade up so even if you have a 92.9%, that would constitute an A- rather than an A. In terms of a possible curve, I'm pretty sure Dr. Lavelle has mentioned that he doesn't curve his classes, but even if he did, there definitely wouldn't be a down curve that would hurt you.


Do you think Professor Lavelle might change his grading system because it's online school and curve our grades?

Can Yilgor 2D
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Can Yilgor 2D » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 am

Grading scales change from class to class, but I think it's reasonable to aim for 90 % and above to get an A. I believe estimating grades can be stressful, so just try to stay motivated and you'll be fine :)

t_rasul2I
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby t_rasul2I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 pm

You would have to consider the points in the class. 100 points are from weekly homework stuff, 220 are from midterms and 180 is from the final. You can miss 50 points to get an A- (3.7) in the class and 35 points to get a A (4.0) in the class. Calculate all the points you have right now out of available points and you should know your grade in the class.

Aliya Roserie 3I
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Aliya Roserie 3I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 pm

I also had a similar question. These posts are all very helpful! Do you guys think he will be curving the grades?

Katelyn_Ortega_1D
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 pm

I am unsure of the exact grading scale but a 50% is a C, and that is a passing grade.

Gina Spagarino 3G
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:48 pm
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Gina Spagarino 3G » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm

I just reread the syllabus and I thought the fact that..." Should unexpected events (as announced by UCLA) result in a specific test or exam not occurring then final grades will be assigned based on completed work" is interesting, and usually would not appear relevant, but the way this year is going makes me think it is more significant.

tholz11
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby tholz11 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:38 pm

I believe you need a 93% to receive an A in the class

LaurenChoi_1J
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:48 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby LaurenChoi_1J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:04 pm

I know that a 50% is a passing grade because he mentioned this on the syllabus. I hope Lavelle curves the grades or at least gives us a little grade boost haha. I believe he will adjust grades accordingly at the end of the quarter after all the finals are graded and he gets a better sense of what everyone's grade will be.

almost_ethan
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby almost_ethan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 pm

tholz11 wrote:I believe you need a 93% to receive an A in the class

Does anyone else know if this is true? :0

StephanieGrigorian2J
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby StephanieGrigorian2J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:22 pm

I believe that 90% should be the cutoff for receiving an A of any kind. But in some classes I took in the past they curved the final grades so that there could be a specific percentage of students with an A and a B and so forth. But I'm not sure how he's going to go about that.

jia207
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby jia207 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 pm

Stephanie Grigorian 2C wrote:I believe that 90% should be the cutoff for receiving an A of any kind. But in some classes I took in the past they curved the final grades so that there could be a specific percentage of students with an A and a B and so forth. But I'm not sure how he's going to go about that.


I also agree that 90% should be the cutoff for an A. I feel like it allows some room for error, but also shows you are still working hard.

lauren_tran_1L
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby lauren_tran_1L » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:01 am

jia207 wrote:
Stephanie Grigorian 2C wrote:I believe that 90% should be the cutoff for receiving an A of any kind. But in some classes I took in the past they curved the final grades so that there could be a specific percentage of students with an A and a B and so forth. But I'm not sure how he's going to go about that.


I also agree that 90% should be the cutoff for an A. I feel like it allows some room for error, but also shows you are still working hard.


So true! Since it is so easy to miss 30 points, to get a 94 I hope they are more lenient!

Kushaal Madadi 2F
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Kushaal Madadi 2F » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:08 am

I just hope that there are 30 questions with each question being worth around 6 points because the pressure of each question being worth is deleterious to my test performance.

Constance Newell
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Constance Newell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:31 am

OMG, yes! each question on an exam is worth so much of our grade!
But i think 93+ is an A (4.0)

Teti Omilana 1G
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Teti Omilana 1G » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 am

I'm pretty sure a 50% or higher is passing for this class, and generally a 90-100 is in the A range.

tholz11
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby tholz11 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:13 pm

almost_ethan wrote:
tholz11 wrote:I believe you need a 93% to receive an A in the class

Does anyone else know if this is true? :0


Sorry if this was a confusing way to phrase this haha. 90% is still an A- but to get an A you need 93

Micaela Estavillo
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Micaela Estavillo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 pm

all we know officially is that 50% is passing (C-) and thats from the syllabus. but we can assume an A is 93+ and and A- is 90-92

claire ikemiya_2I
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby claire ikemiya_2I » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:08 pm

So if all we know is that 50% is a passing grade, do we project that the passing range is larger or that the grade is going to be curved?

Kelly Singh
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:48 pm
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Kelly Singh » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:38 pm

almost_ethan wrote:
tholz11 wrote:I believe you need a 93% to receive an A in the class

Does anyone else know if this is true? :0


Yes, that's what I remember from the syllabus.

Kelly Singh
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:48 pm
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Kelly Singh » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:39 pm

claire ikemiya_2I wrote:So if all we know is that 50% is a passing grade, do we project that the passing range is larger or that the grade is going to be curved?


I don't think that he usually curves grades

Cooper Kinne 2E
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:55 pm

I doubt he will be curving grades

Kushaal Madadi 2F
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Re: Grading Scale for Chem14A

Postby Kushaal Madadi 2F » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Hey, at least we are getting 10 bonus points! Apparently Dr. Lavelle has never done this before!


Return to “Student Social/Study Group”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest