How have your study habits changed?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nane Onanyan 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

How have your study habits changed?

Postby Nane Onanyan 1G » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 am

Since we have already taken two midterms in this course, how would you say your study habits changed throughout the term? I know a lot of folks had very different study habits in high school, so what have you done to adjust to this class?

I think the biggest change for me was my style of notes. After midterm 1, I realized my notes were super long and wordy which was not very helpful when studying. Now, most of my notes are short and concise and I usually highlight important areas. I am curious to see how your study methods have changed, as I still need to work on mine!

Megan Hulsy 1A

Re: How have your study habits changed?

Postby Megan Hulsy 1A » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:11 am

For my study habits, I've realized that I've been successful in terms of this class, and that A LOT has changed. For studying, I redid the textbook problems multiple times and went through the notes. On top of this, I made sure to attend a ton of the UA sessions to get more practice problems and made sure I understood all of them. When I felt confident in doing these problems as well as the textbook problems, and this took me four times to make sure I was fully confident, I would go back through the notes. While looking through the notes, I try to explain everything to myself in my head and this has been helpful. I never did this in high school, but my new study habits have really helped me in this class. :)

EnricoArambulo3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby EnricoArambulo3H » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:13 am

As you did, I used to cram all my notes into one paper, but now I separate it by content and example. I usually have on one paper the actual content from the lecture slides, and on another, it's all the examples that I can annotate so I can best understand the material. I've also gone back into Sapling and textbook problems after doing them the first time and writing down all the mistakes that I made and making sure that I am aware of these mistakes when I do the UA worksheets. I also changed the timing of review; my first review is now within 24 hours of the lecture, my second review is after one week, and my third review is after one month.

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:06 pm

My study habits have defiantly changed after the first midterm. For the first midterm, I just went to step-up sessions and watched the video lectures. For this midterm, I went to Youtube and found more explanations on the same topics this helped me understand the content better. Going to UA session still has been a big help, one of the UA's Rosa has great sessions that are very clear. Going to her sessions really help me on the second midterm.

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:15 pm

My notes are a lot more organized now and I like to divide them up by topic instead of putting as much information as possible onto a page. I also am learning to study over a few days instead of cramming the night before.

Postby 505352202 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:24 pm

I make review sheets after every lecture to make sure all the information I need is in a condensed format that I can look back at when I do my textbook problems.

Alara Aygen 3K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Alara Aygen 3K » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm

I used to be like that too, taking wordy and lengthy notes. After the first midterm, I focused more on solving questions than taking long notes.

Postby 505598869 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 pm

I stopped trying to read the textbook before starting the textbook problems from the outlines. At first I thought that we were supposed to read the chapters, but now I understand that it is almost never necessary and it is more beneficial to finish the problems rather than read. This is probably the biggest reason I did so poorly on my first midterm. Hopefully this change helped me do better on the second.

Marley Magee 3A

Postby Marley Magee 3A » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:07 pm

I began attending the step up sessions and actually taking notes. Before, I wouldn't write anything down and just listen, but having the extra practice of writing things down really helps a lot of people to remember things. Even if it's stuff already in my notes, I find that I remember it better to write it a second time.

Margaret Xu 3C

Postby Margaret Xu 3C » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:27 pm

In high school, I would cram for tests the night before and basically teach myself all the content for the first time. I've tried to change my study habits by studying a little bit across several days before the exam so I don't get overwhelmed. I like to review homework/textbook problems I've done and read over my notes. I also find it really helpful to pretend I'm teaching someone the content I've learned to memorize concepts.

Jonathan3B

Postby Jonathan3B » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Yes they have changed, I start studying for an exam about 2 weeks before to avoid cramming. I am still not getting the grades I want though.

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:59 pm

I have definitely seen my studying habits shift dramatically since starting college. I like to progressively study by starting about a week or two weeks before the exam. Then, each day, I review content chronologically, and about a week before the exam, I like to test myself by redoing UA worksheets without answers as well as textbook questions. This has really helped me in this course specifically because most of the exam questions are similar to UA worksheets/textbook problems. I also like to make a compiled exam document that summarizes everything I know to prepare me for the exam!

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 pm

To be honest, not much has changed and I think that has been the issue for me. My schedule doesn't permit me to go to as many UA sessions as I want and I find it hard to fit in time where I can study without distraction. I mostly take notes during lecture, and try to do the textbook problems on the days following up to the test. While this has helped me a bit, I'm definitely not doing as well as I hope to. I'm trying to do textbook problems earlier now and I'm also searching up more informational videos on youtube. I think I will start compiling a study guide for myself as well.

Jenny Chau 1I

Postby Jenny Chau 1I » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Jonathan3L wrote:Yes they have changed, I start studying for an exam about 2 weeks before to avoid cramming. I am still not getting the grades I want though.

I feel this. It's a bit disappointing because I feel like I'm spending a sufficient amount of time studying but it doesn't seem like it paid off in the end.

Minh-Thy Vo 3D

Postby Minh-Thy Vo 3D » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:44 pm

I try to focus more on practice problems and active learning instead of just reading my notes.

Emerald Wong 1B

Postby Emerald Wong 1B » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:54 pm

I learned that I am more of a visual learner. Drawing the concepts out and seeing how they connect has been really helpful, and using diagrams for problems has helped me understand how things work. I am also being more of an active learner with my notes. As a I write them and review them, I try to come up with possible problems Dr. Lavelle would ask. We've taken 2 midterms and I've attended a lot of UA sessions, so it is getting easier to see how problems will be worded.

Ravdeep Warar 2G

Postby Ravdeep Warar 2G » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Attending more workshops and doing the homework problems as we are learning about them has helped me.

Ralph Zhang 2L

Postby Ralph Zhang 2L » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:52 pm

I have started to focus on the problems in the textbook more since there are no more modules for content after midterm 1

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Jonathan3L wrote:Yes they have changed, I start studying for an exam about 2 weeks before to avoid cramming. I am still not getting the grades I want though.

I relate to this a lot actually, I developed better study habits but never seemed to get the grades I want on the exams. I guess it's a matter of constantly changing your study routine to see which gives out the best results.

Siwa Hwang 3G

Postby Siwa Hwang 3G » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 am

I rely heavily on textbook problems to get the extra practice that I need and read through the textbook chapters so that I get a thorough understanding of the topics.

Arti_Patel_3H

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:04 am

I found that the more I did practice problems (UA worksheets, textbook problems, etc.), the more I felt comfortable with the material. I'm nervous about the final, but I think that annotating my notes and attending as many workshops and step-up sessions from now to then will help me be more confident going into it.

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:20 am

I have spent more time organizing my notes and highlighting the topics I still need to focus more time on. I then tend to look for the topic in the textbook and work over a couple of problems until I have a greater understanding. If I have a difficult time understanding I tend to read over the chapter because they could provide more information.

Navdha Sharma 3J

Postby Navdha Sharma 3J » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:33 am

I like to understand the text as a go through it rather than blindly taking notes. Also, I think doing the textbook problems really helped me in the second midterm.

AHUNT_1A

Postby AHUNT_1A » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:15 am

With the pandemic things are a bit rough since it has been hard to find motivation. I tend to try and take 30 minutes to an hour out of my day to complete practice problems, rewatch lecture for clarity, do problems I was given in my discussion.

AHUNT_1A

Postby AHUNT_1A » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:16 am

Sophia Wendin 2B wrote:My notes are a lot more organized now and I like to divide them up by topic instead of putting as much information as possible onto a page. I also am learning to study over a few days instead of cramming the night before.

Extremely relatable.

Lauren Strickland 1B

Postby Lauren Strickland 1B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:48 pm

I find myself dedicating more time to studying and at first I did not look at the textbook problems. For the second midterm I looked at the textbook problems and those helped a lot for studying.

DanielHong2L

Postby DanielHong2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Txtbook problems for days and rewatching some of his lectures to keep the information fresh before tests.
I don't know if it will be changing for finals however.

Ryan_Kien_1L

Postby Ryan_Kien_1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:21 pm

I began to realize how important workbook problems are because they actually show up on the test. I definitely take the time to memorize the answers to questions I don't necessarily understand.

josephspindler2H

Postby josephspindler2H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Certainly, the one constant so far has been doing the textbook problems. Although, I too have revamped how I have been taking notes in class. Another important strategy I have adopted is to ask myself if I can explain each topic and see if I really can define key terms. It helps me better understand everything and ensure I actually know what I am doing.

Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F

Postby Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Honestly I'm still working on this, as I've realized my study methods in high school weren't the best for long-term understanding, but recently I've been trying to do more of the textbook problems since I have more difficulty with application problems rather than conceptual ones. It's been hard but it's pushing me to create better study systems for myself for now and the future. Usually I write notes and re-write them, which helps remind me of specific topics, but I've realized that practice will be the most efficient for this class.

James Patanian 2C

Postby James Patanian 2C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F wrote:Honestly I'm still working on this, as I've realized my study methods in high school weren't the best for long-term understanding, but recently I've been trying to do more of the textbook problems since I have more difficulty with application problems rather than conceptual ones. It's been hard but it's pushing me to create better study systems for myself for now and the future. Usually I write notes and re-write them, which helps remind me of specific topics, but I've realized that practice will be the most efficient for this class.

Same, I've always put more emphasis on understanding the concepts and weaker on doing many practice problems outside of hw assignments, but I've been keeping myself more accountable when it comes to practicing application. This was something I first realized when studying for the SAT, where knowing the structure to applying common sense makes a huge difference.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Interestingly, this class has caused me to really reevaluate how I take notes as well. I started using a computer during my first year at UCLA for taking notes in almost every class, but writing notes has been far more effective in this class and I have come to realize that it is probably the best way to retain information. Even though it is a slower process in the moment, I think I will continue to take notes by hand for my classes.

idella 1D

Postby idella 1D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Honestly, since everything is online for the time being my habits have changed dramatically. I oftentimes would take notes, drawings, etc. all by hand since I tend to learn best visually and with stuff that's hands-on. Since I'm now staring at a screen all day, I find that I just type up everything and study using what I have online. It is a bit different than what I used to do, but I hope that it works.

Catie Donohue 2K

Postby Catie Donohue 2K » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:59 pm

For this class in particular, I've payed a lot more attention to the textbook problems and explanations because they help go into more depth what is covered in the lectures. I think something that I'm going to work on for the final is making my notes more organized, such as having headers for different concepts and making a study guide based on the outline so that I can feel confident I've prepared as much as I can.

Arnav Saud 2C

Postby Arnav Saud 2C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:12 pm

For this class, I go to the UA sessions a lot more than I did from the start of the quarter. Additionally, I have a bigger emphasis on textbook problems for practice as well, and I combine this with spaced out readings of the chapters preceding an exam. Then, I do a review of everything in the days approaching the exam.

Sukhkiran Kaur 3I

Postby Sukhkiran Kaur 3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Definitely my style of notes as well. I like to color code them now so they're easier to follow along with when studying.

Ethan Goode 2H

Postby Ethan Goode 2H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:32 pm

I have always been a procrastinator, but all that has changed is that I procrastinate just a tad bit less. I now start studying for midterms around 4 days in advance compared to the usual night before in high school, and I have had great results so far!

AliAsh 1H

Postby AliAsh 1H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 pm

I have been going back to the Sapling problems and reading through all the solution guides to make sure I know how I got each answer. This has honestly been SO helpful

Michelle Magana 2B

Postby Michelle Magana 2B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:17 pm

I attend PLF sessions which help so much but I think I will try the UA session as well.

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Procrastination is my worse enemy, and I think I'm getting a little bit better, but I definitely still have room for improvement :)

Megan Singer 3D

Postby Megan Singer 3D » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:15 am

From the last midterm to this most recent one, I've stopped taking detailed textbook notes since I feel like those didn't help too much. Instead I focused on doing the practice problems in the textbook multiple times to make sure I thoroughly understood them.

Connie Liang 3L

Postby Connie Liang 3L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:43 pm

For the final, I started studying a bit earlier than I normally would because I still need to make space for reviewing past units — of which some material has already gotten dusty. The textbook problems are honestly super useful, as well!

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm

A habit that has changed is going to seek help at UA and PLF sessions. I also tend to watch youtube videos for explanations as well

Kaiya_PT_1H

Postby Kaiya_PT_1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:55 pm

I've definitely focused more on the textbook problems than lecture notes or anything else, and it's worked for me so far. However, I've noticed that sometimes he puts specific things from the lecture in the midterms so that's something to look out for.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm

One thing I've noticed is to pay close attention to any exceptions to rules because theyre sure to pop up on an exam

Arti_Patel_3H

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi! One thing that I've noticed is that the UA sessions help me a lot more than I anticipated. The worksheets are great resources and the UAs explain the problems very well.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”