Point distribution

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

YUNALEE

Point distribution

Postby YUNALEE » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:41 pm

So if we were taking this class in person, we would have a midterm, a couple tests, final and everything else we have now. On the tests, since it would be an in person written test it was a longer test with many questions, students were able to get partial credit on every test. Now, we don't have any tests, our whole grade is dependent on 3 tests we take where each question is worth so many points. I really hope Dr. Lavelle takes this into consideration and how much anxiety we get from knowing we cant miss more than 4 ish questions in order to get an A in the class in addition to being in a global pandemic as our first quarter in college.

lauren_tran_1L

Re: Point distribution

Postby lauren_tran_1L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:02 am

I feel the same way! But it puts him in a hard position because it seems like many are doing well which would make a curve very small to nonexistent :(

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:54 pm

I totally understand your point of view, but he is allowing many people to pass with a C- by just earning half the points in the course. I know several of us really want to pass with an A, including myself, but the pandemic sadly puts everyone in a difficult position. Do not let earning a grade lower than an A discourage you! These tests do not define how much you have learned or are capable of! :)

Margia Adriano 2A

Postby Margia Adriano 2A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:50 pm

I feel the same way as you! I think it just takes me by surprise for how big of a chunk tests take up in our grade, especially when there's only really three that we've taken, plus the small amount of points from other assignments. I think we'll do all right though, and I wish you the best of luck on the final!

Brianna Martilla 1C

Postby Brianna Martilla 1C » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:54 pm

magalysantos_1F wrote: Do not let earning a grade lower than an A discourage you! These tests do not define how much you have learned or are capable of! :)

I totally agree! It's too late for me to get an A now considering my past exams, but I've accepted it. I'm still working hard to get a B, even though I wanted to just give up. And I'm still learning a lot in this class even though my exams don't show it.

David Facio 1K

Postby David Facio 1K » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:01 pm

I agree with not letting your grade discourage you as we are not defined by them. However, I am feeling a bit anxious about the final exam. I totally bombed the first midterm, and I did earn a passing grade on the second midterm. So I feel like I have to earn the highest grade possible to make up for my downfalls. I prepared heavily for both midterms and will attempt nothing less for the final. I just can't shake that feeling of anxiety. Going into this with a growth mindset though! <3 Good Luck Everyone!

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:44 pm

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but honestly I prefer this sort of point distribution

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:27 pm

Brianna Martilla 2C wrote:
magalysantos_1F wrote: Do not let earning a grade lower than an A discourage you! These tests do not define how much you have learned or are capable of! :)

I totally agree! It's too late for me to get an A now considering my past exams, but I've accepted it. I'm still working hard to get a B, even though I wanted to just give up. And I'm still learning a lot in this class even though my exams don't show it.

I agree with this post so much! I feel like my test scores don't show how much time and effort I am putting into studing. I'm happy to see that I'm not alone in this.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:31 pm

Does anyone know if the grades are curved at the end of the quarter and/or if there is only a beneficial curve?

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:40 pm

magalysantos_1F wrote:I totally understand your point of view, but he is allowing many people to pass with a C- by just earning half the points in the course. I know several of us really want to pass with an A, including myself, but the pandemic sadly puts everyone in a difficult position. Do not let earning a grade lower than an A discourage you! These tests do not define how much you have learned or are capable of! :)

Agree so much with this! For many of us, this is the first college chemistry course we've ever taken! If you don't get the grade you want, dont be discouraged! This is hard for many of us, and you will do better if you try really hard. If you improve yourself in later courses, friendly reminder that grad schools like to see upward trends :)

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:08 pm

I feel like Lavelle did a lot for us this quarter, especially in this situation, but I can't help but sometimes wish for more, ya know? I wish the classes were in person because the videos do NOT help me to focus at all. I did get through them, but man, was it difficult to focus without a live lecture. But he did have a LOT of resources for us, and I appreciate that :)

Day Preciado 1H

Postby Day Preciado 1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:10 pm

I hate that our grade is basically the 2 midterms and the final but I do agree that Lavelle has done his best to provide resources for us. But also this is all new to us.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”