What does studying look like for you?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmine Reblando 3A

What does studying look like for you?

Postby Jasmine Reblando 3A » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi all!

With our midterm coming up I'm seeking other methods to integrate into my study habits for this class. Please share what you are doing to prep for our midterm if you'd like!

Gabby Burgess 2I

Re: What does studying look like for you?

Postby Gabby Burgess 2I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi!
For this class specifically, I have been studying by working through the textbook problems and module post-assessments. For the textbook problems, I have been doing one from each section we are assigned to cover a variety of concepts. Then, I have been redoing the post-assessments since those are directly from Lavelle and may be more similar to questions on the tests.
That is just what I have been trying so hopefully that helps!

Hope Galarneau 1A

Postby Hope Galarneau 1A » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:39 pm

I would recommend going over the textbook problems that are provided in each outline because they give you a good idea of what you understand and what you need to focus more on. I think that going over the audio visual assignments are also good to test your knowledge. Another thing that I have found to be helpful is reading the textbook and going over the examples provided in the text because they usually do a really good job of explaining things. The last thing that I recommend doing is watching videos on concepts you need further help on because they usually break down the steps and explain things well.

asfakhan_2H

Postby asfakhan_2H » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Something I have been doing is going over the textbook problems assigned to the sections we covered, the post assessments on the module, and homework problems. I think this is a really good thing to try because you are having a little more practice as well exposed to these types of questions.

Carla Bruebach 1C

Postby Carla Bruebach 1C » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:48 pm

I love practice problems. I think they are such a good way to prepare and so I usually try and do one or two problems using each equation/type of question in order to know the ins and outs of the topic. I also like to check that I understand all vocabulary words and define them if I don't!

Devyn Chun 3I

Postby Devyn Chun 3I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm

I think doing the practice problems provided in the outlines are super helpful in solidifying my understanding of the material we learn in lecture/discussion. I attempt the problem and check with the odd numbered answers in the back of the textbook. I think it was mentioned in the test schedule document provided by Dr. Lavelle that the problems in the outlines could be used on the exams itself so understanding how to do them, I think, is essential. When I don't understand how to do a problem, I would either ask one of my peers to explain it to me, consult chemistry community for help, or go to my TA and ask them questions either during discussion or office hours.

Litsa Dimit 1D

Postby Litsa Dimit 1D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Lately, I have been rewatching the lecture and going over textbook problems. I also make sure to review what we do in discussions, like the questions that they ask us to do, it has been really helpful in understanding the material. Also, I like to go over the post-module assessments!

Chris Oh 2I

Postby Chris Oh 2I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:24 pm

Personally, I think understanding the underlying conceptual knowledge is key before heading straight into practice problems. I rewatched the lectures to make sure I understood the concepts, and am now moving onto practice problems!

Postby 205769933 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Practice, practice, practice! In my case, solving the problems should be muscle memory at a certain point, and that’s when I feel more comfortable with taking an exam. Conceptual wise, I try to connect everything together in a cohesive story so that it’s easier to remember the history and “why” behind what we learn.

Danielle Andal 3F

Postby Danielle Andal 3F » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Honestly studying is lowkey really difficult for me because if I can’t pick it up, its hard for me to find the will to learn it outside of class. But I take really detailed notes and it helps me because I write down the notes on my iPad.

Jaelyn Christian 2J

Postby Jaelyn Christian 2J » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:39 pm

Studying for me means listening to music (which for some reason helps me focus) and taking really detailed notes. I struggle when I don't take notes because I can't seem to retain any information.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”