Chemistry and Mental Health

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Caroline 2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Chemistry and Mental Health

Postby Caroline 2A » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am kinda going through it right now guys… what are the best ways y’all deal with mental health during college? I am open to trying anything.

Thanks guys!

Re: Chemistry and Mental Health

Postby 205793570 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi, exercising and meditating is a good way to deal with mental health, for me taking long walks while listening to music when I feel very anxious is really really helpful.

Ameerah Hameed 3B

Postby Ameerah Hameed 3B » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:26 pm

205793570 wrote:Hi, exercising and meditating is a good way to deal with mental health, for me taking long walks while listening to music when I feel very anxious is really really helpful.

This is exactly what I do as well, and it has genuinely been helping me this quarter!! :)

Postby 405509920 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:18 pm

Time management is the root of all things good and evil. It takes a lot of trial and error to work out a schedule that suits you but once you do it really makes things more manageable and less stressful. Make sure you devote enough time to your studies so that you aren't stressed over grades and work load but also make sure that you give yourself a social life that allows you to destress. Also, make friends who are struggling in the same areas you are. Nothing is more comforting and mutual suffering!

On a more serious note. Don't beat yourself up if things don't go exactly as you planned it. Always give yourself credit for what you've done, even if you didn't achieve what you had originally set out to do. Most of us are perfectionists that are too hard on ourselves for our own good. Treat yourself like you would a friend.

Shay Crookall 2L

Postby Shay Crookall 2L » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:14 pm

Making sure that I have at least 1 or two days per week where I do absolutely NO schoolwork or studying has been so helpful for me! It's hard not to feel guilty, but prioritizing relaxation and not constantly working is really important in my opinion. Also therapy lol.

Arad_Badiee_2B

Postby Arad_Badiee_2B » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:27 pm

Spending a bit of time on something that you enjoy may help. It may seen obvious, but I feel that many people don't make the time for it. For me, I enjoy sports. Hope this helps!

Bruce Ruff 2B

Postby Bruce Ruff 2B » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:30 pm

It's a small thing but try opening the blinds if you haven't already since I heard sunlight is a natural antidepressant. It can also help you be more productive and restores your circadian rhythm :)

Postby 505705039 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi!
I think it is very important to do things that make you happy!! Whether that be watching your favorite show or going to grab a coffee, doing little things to boost your mood can overall motivate you to do work + keep a healthy mind.

Jada Dawson

Postby Jada Dawson » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi,
Staying outside all day or just away from my dorm has really helped me stay sane this quarter. Also, time management! I set little goals everyday so that I have free time to take myself on dates and just try/visit new places. Becoming one with the earth and doing things for myself keeps me grounded during school. Hope this helps you!

Postby 505771920 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:05 pm

Ya I would say just forcing myself to leave my dorm and the hill even when I really don't want to can instantly change my day

Postby 205769933 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:11 am

I would usually take a walk, or make sure to get plenty of sleep! Hype music also always makes me feel a ton better, as well as talking to my close friends and properly expressing my feelings of stress to others.

Alyssa H

Postby Alyssa H » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Hey! I'm totally in the same boat-- adjusting to college life is tough, especially right after over a whole year of online high school. I'm personally struggling to regain my study habits and to take good care of myself since I tend to be a workaholic and often neglect my own well-being for the sake of getting more done. However, something that has helped me out so much is just talking about how I'm feeling on a regular basis. It helps a ton to know that you're not alone in your stress and allowing yourself to verbalize those feelings makes them a lot easier to digest, especially when you have people you care about to listen and relate. I also just love to relax and play my favorite games, get some good food, and decompress as a celebration of everything I'm accomplishing. (Basically what I'm saying is you deserve to feel heard and appreciated!!)

eve444

Postby eve444 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:18 am

Hello!

I found that being out of my dorm and looking for cool/random study places helps a lot. I like to think of it as a side mission and it usually elevates my mood. Meditation is also great for trying to remain sane while under high stress.

Madeline_Miller

Postby Madeline_Miller » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:40 am

I think the best way to handle mental health in college is to take a step back and do something that you love and that re-energizes you. For me, when I'm stresses, I love to sit outside BCafe at night, eat, and watch a movie on my computer. Me time really helps me de-stress. So, I recommend trying to find time to take a step back from academics to do something that you find fun and re-energizing.

Jaipal Virdi 2I

Postby Jaipal Virdi 2I » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 am

I think someone in this thread already mentioned it, but make sure to dedicate at least one day a week to doing no school work! Not only has this made me more productive, but it allows me spend time with roommates, go to Westwood, and try local restaurants. It might be hard to do with finals right now, but throughout the quarter this was essential to my mental health.

LillianHarvey2C

Postby LillianHarvey2C » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:12 pm

These replies were extremely helpful. I also like to leave my dorm and take walks around campus to clear my mind, sometimes it even helps me to think of ideas when I'm struggling with my assignments. Whatever we stress about won't be a permanent feeling, it'll get better eventually:)

LillianHarvey2C

Postby LillianHarvey2C » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pm

205793570 wrote:Hi, exercising and meditating is a good way to deal with mental health, for me taking long walks while listening to music when I feel very anxious is really really helpful.

Music helps sooo much

Isabelle Kludt 2B

Postby Isabelle Kludt 2B » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:24 pm

When I'm feeling anxious or down walking or working out really helps. I never really feel like working out and it always sounds like too much work but every time I do it it helps so much. It gets the nervous energy out and helps me think clearly. A lot of these other answers were also helpful thanks for sharing everyone!

Ellen Brock 2I

Postby Ellen Brock 2I » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:22 pm

One thing that helps SO much is having something each week to look forward to that is not school related. Usually I go home on weekends so I work really hard throughout the week because I know I have the reward of going home on the weekend where I can relax and destress. But this can also be small things like planning to go to Westwood and get a coffee and walk around. I also like exercising or going to a dining hall with a friend to just let everything out and pretty much rant to each other over coffee. Helps a lot.

Anisa Morales 1L

Postby Anisa Morales 1L » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 pm

Do things you enjoy and take a break when you feel like you need it. Don't put too much stress on yourself, at the end of the day we live on a floating rock.

Olivia Peony Dis 2A

Postby Olivia Peony Dis 2A » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:47 pm

Hi!

First of all congrats on finishing the quarter. I just want to say that balance between work (school) and life is important. DO stuff that you love sometimes and let yourself rest. It's okay, we're gonna be okay. Give yourself credit for studying hard and doing all the work, even if the result wasn't perfect, you deserve credit.

Best,
Olivia Peony Dis 2E

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Allow yourself the space to take a break and really allow yourself to relax. Take a shower, listen to some music, talk to your friends, and maybe watch a show that makes you laugh.

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:08 pm

It's okay! It's normal to feel overwhelmed but honestly make sure you do things that you really enjoy! Make sure to always do something that makes you happy at least once a day because, at the end of the day, it is important that you are okay! I usually listen to music, read, or get some fresh air and time away from my computer.

Postby 305572238 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi :) I've found that mindless activities help a lot. I've found that painting by numbers is a great way to decompress. Also making picture collages with cutouts from magazines. Creative activities that take no brain power are the best way I re-gather myself and relax!

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Take breaks! Don't push yourself harder than you are capable of withstanding. It is always important to exercise your mind and body (as Dr. Lavelle often mentions at the end of lecture). Talk to some friends, take a walk, or maybe listen to some music that makes you happy.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”