Memorization of Strong Acids and Bases

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Carina H - 2G

Memorization of Strong Acids and Bases

Postby Carina H - 2G » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:21 am

Hi,

I was wondering if we will need to memorize the list of strong acids and bases for the final?

Happy thanksgiving!!

Thanks!

Sila_Sozeri_1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Memorization of Strong Acids and Bases

Postby Sila_Sozeri_1C » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:26 am

Hi! I believe we need to know all the examples Dr. Lavelle gave during lecture. For strong acids, I'd say know HCl, HBr, HI, HClO3, H2SO4, HNO3, HClO4 (strong acids); metal hydroxides, and oxides (strong bases); and organic acids (weak acids) Dr. Lavelle went over during lecture particularly.

I hope this helps! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jiayin Yola Yan 1G

Postby Jiayin Yola Yan 1G » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:08 pm

I recommend memorizing them because it really helps a lot when determining whether the species is strong or weak!

Ruben Adamov 1E

Postby Ruben Adamov 1E » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:11 pm

I agree with Jiayin, memorizing common acids and bases, both strong and weak ones, is probably the best preparation for an exam question.

Michelle Argueta 1E

Postby Michelle Argueta 1E » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:35 pm

Hi! I believe that for the final I would say it is best to memorize the strong acids and bases. Based on the ones provided on the list presented during the lecture, you should know that the ONLY strong acids include HCl, HBr, HI, H2SO4, HNO3, HClO4, HClO3; any other acid is considered a weak acid. For bases, the ones mentioned in LiOH, NaOH, KOH, RbOH, CsOH, Ca(OH)2, Sr(OH)2, Ba(OH)2 as well as group 1 hydroxides and group 1 and group 2 hydroxides are the ONLY ones considered to be strong bases and any other not mentioned or follow the rules would be considered a weak base.

Rena Wu 3E

Postby Rena Wu 3E » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi Carina! My high school chemistry teacher told us about BIC PeNS to help memorize strong acids. B = hydroBromic acid, I = hydroIodic acid, C = hydroChloric acid, Pe = Perchloric acid, N = Nitric acid, and S = sulfuric acid. For strong bases, I believe Dr. Lavelle talked about group 1 and 2 hydroxides (as mentioned in the textbook). He also mentioned that sometimes Mg(OH)2 isn't always a strong base, but for this class to consider it a strong base to reduce any ambiguity. Hope this helps!

Rena Wu 3E

Postby Rena Wu 3E » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:46 pm

Rena Wu 2C wrote:Hi Carina! My high school chemistry teacher told us about BIC PeNS to help memorize strong acids. B = hydroBromic acid, I = hydroIodic acid, C = hydroChloric acid, Pe = Perchloric acid, N = Nitric acid, and S = sulfuric acid. For strong bases, I believe Dr. Lavelle talked about group 1 and 2 hydroxides (as mentioned in the textbook). He also mentioned that sometimes Mg(OH)2 isn't always a strong base, but for this class to consider it a strong base to reduce any ambiguity. Hope this helps!

Oops, I forgot that for strong acids, chloric acid is also included. So you could use BIC PeNS, but remember that chloric acid is also a strong acid. Sorry about that!

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”