Where to begin?  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Grace_McAuley_1E

Where to begin?

Postby Grace_McAuley_1E » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:56 pm

I haven't taken Chemistry since my sophomore year of high school and am now a first year in 14A. I started looking at the fundamentals section of the textbook because reading chapter 1 just confused me. I also looked at the first 4 modules. This class has so many resources to help that I don't really know where to begin. Anyone have any tips of what resources are best?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Where to begin?

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Focus on the online modules (high-school and Chapter 1) and related Chapter 1 homework problems.

Ruiz Samantha 2C

Re: Where to begin?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Ruiz Samantha 2C » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:54 pm

After watching some of Dr. Lavelle's videos, try working on some problems from the Fundamentals section of the textbook (odd numbers). That way you can compare your process with the process and answers that are shown in the solutions manual.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Great suggestion Samantha.

Yasmin Rizal 1C

Postby Yasmin Rizal 1C » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:33 pm

I agree with Samantha. I didn't do Chemistry during my A-Levels so that adds up to almost 3 years without studying Chem, but Professor Lavelle's videos and pre-assessments really helped me get back on track. Also try to read ahead every week! For me it makes the transition a whole lot better.

Helena Vervaet 1N

Postby Helena Vervaet 1N » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:15 pm

The video modules have been an amazing review tool both before the class began and after the lectures during the week (I 100% recommend using them), but do the topics posted on the class website stretch for the entire quarter? Or are there chapters later on that won't be accompanied by those videos? I'd love to keep using them if possible!

Natalie Hunt 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Natalie Hunt 1E » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:33 pm

I completely agree with Helena! I was looking ahead and noticed that online there are only videos posted through Chemical Equilibrium. I find these videos very helpful because they allow me to pause and rewatch as many times as I need while taking notes. Will you keep adding more videos as the quarter goes on?

dayannaramirez_1J

Postby dayannaramirez_1J » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:45 pm

I am in a similar situation and I have been watching some of the modules. Should I be taking notes on something other than the course reader so I can look back at it or does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks for the pointers!

Tiffany Jeng 1L

Postby Tiffany Jeng 1L » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:57 pm

When you guys are taking notes, are you doing it off of the book (while using the topics introduced in the very beginning of each chapter in the Course Reader), the Audio-Visual Focus topics, or both? I'm so overwhelmed and I don't know where to start... thanks in advance!

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”