Rounding and Accuracy During Tests

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexandra_Ivanova_1A

Rounding and Accuracy During Tests

Postby Alexandra_Ivanova_1A » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:02 pm

How much wiggle room do we have in terms of rounding accuracy during the tests, quizzes, etc?

I know that general rounding and significant figure rules stated in the beginning of the Course Reader apply, but it seems like using certain constants or rounding off constants can give a bit of a different final answer. This seems especially difficult since one is more likely to have to round off when using a scientific (non-graphing, non-programmable) calculator like we will have to use during the quizzes.

Will we be penalized for not having the exact answer, or will there be some sort of range of acceptable answers/values?

Laine Gruver 3C

Re: Rounding and Accuracy During Tests

Postby Laine Gruver 3C » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:09 pm

To add onto this, what is the policy like for partial credit? i.e., if a problem has multiple parts and we make an arithmetic mistake in an early part that affects the subsequent answers, will we receive absolutely no credit?

Derek Lee 2K

Postby Derek Lee 2K » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 am

From looking at the solutions in the textbook solutions manual and workbook, it constantly wants us to round off to the proper number of sig figs at each step of the problem. If you do that, it's easier to keep track of sig figs from the beginning because you just end up with the smallest number of sig figs that you started in the beginning.

Alexandra_Ivanova_1A

Postby Alexandra_Ivanova_1A » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:00 am

Derek Lee Lec 3 Dis 3L wrote:From looking at the solutions in the textbook solutions manual and workbook, it constantly wants us to round off to the proper number of sig figs at each step of the problem. If you do that, it's easier to keep track of sig figs from the beginning because you just end up with the smallest number of sig figs that you started in the beginning.

Hm, I guess that makes significant figures easier, but aren't you not supposed to round off until the very last step of the problem? The more rounding you do throughout the problem, the more of a rounding error you (potentially) get by the end of the problem.

Derek Lee 2K

Postby Derek Lee 2K » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Yeah that's true, it just kind of varies from problem to problem. To be honest, your way is probably better but I'm just saying that whichever way you do it, at least the solution manual kind of verifies that you're ok so I wouldn't freak out too much if its confusing you.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”