Advice from a Medical Student  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 156 times

Advice from a Medical Student  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Hey Chem 14A Students!

I'm Ashley and I am a UCLA graduate and current NY medical student. Before medical school, I was Dr. Lavelle's UA for 10 quarters, which means I know how to do well and effectively study for this class. I wanted to give you some advice and things I wish I knew when I was in your shoes. If there is only one thing that you should keep from UCLA, save your notes from this course. As many of you premeds already know, the MCAT has a chemistry section. To study for that portion of the MCAT, I read over all of Dr. Lavelle's notes from Chem 14A and Chem 14B. I was not a chemistry major, but I scored in the top 5% for that section just by reviewing his notes. What Dr. Lavelle teaches you in this class will prepare you not only for the MCAT but also for medical school. Many of the topics taught in these next two quarters will reappear again and again, and having heard it all before from Dr. Lavelle makes learning it again that much easier. I cannot stress enough how important it is to study those notes and save them after the course is over. I go to school across the country, but I made sure to take his notes with me to med school. His lectures are so well prepared and cut through all the distracting detail to help everyone focus on clear concepts that assist so much with problem solving.

While this course may seem a little overwhelming at times as this is one of your first university courses, just know that Dr. Lavelle provides you with so many resources. He has Chemistry Community which is 24/7 virtual office hours! Plus, he organizes a huge number of weekly Office Hours and Peer Learning Sessions, in addition to even more Review Sessions before exams. He wants to help you succeed so if you get stuck on a concept or a homework problem, go to one of these sessions and talk to Dr. Lavelle, the TAs, and UAs about it. There are so many opportunities for success. Use them. Ask questions on Chemistry Community 24/7, and in discussion sections, office hours, peer learning sessions, and review sessions. Be proactive. These study skills will help you not just in this class but in the rest of your schooling.

To do well in this class, attend all your lectures and discussion sections and go to as many office hours, peer learning sessions, and review sessions as you can. Even if you don't think you have questions, learn from other students. They might have a question you never thought of. Especially on Chemistry Community. Dr. Lavelle's Chem 14A is going to be one of the most rewarding classes you will take at UCLA. It might seem tough at times, but by the end of the quarter you will have learned so much and have set a solid foundation for your future courses. You will not have another class whose core topics repeat over and over again. Take advantage of all the resources Dr. Lavelle has put a huge effort into developing for you, including the online Focus Topics which are really helpful. He wants you to do well. No other professor creates, maintains, and provides as many additional resources as he does.

Good luck this quarter! If you guys have any questions, feel free to email me at smileysarquiz@ucla.edu. I was a Dr. Lavelle's student in 2012 and his UA from 2013 (when Dr. Lavelle created the UA program for lecture courses at UCLA) to 2017. I know how to help you do well. Even though I'm not a UA anymore, I'm happy to guide you guys.

Ashley Sarquiz
UCLA Class of 2015

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”