Advice from a Medical Student  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Advice from a Medical Student

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:18 am

Jeremy Wei 2K wrote:Ashley thank you so much for sharing your experiences and for your advice! Do you have any tips/strategies on how to study that helped you for this class?

Thank you, Jeremy. For this class in particular, I would focus on lecture material and taking advantage of Chemistry Community and all the other resources such as office hours and UA/TA sessions. You will soon find that no other course on campus has even close to the amount of supplemental material/additional help that Dr. Lavelle provides. He genuinely wants each and every one of his students to do well and so he gives you all the resources you need to get an A. Just make sure you take advantage of them and never be afraid to ask a question. Good luck to you this quarter!

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Thank you for your advice Ashley. It has inspired me to truly want to become more proactive in my studies. Hope all has been well. Do you have any tips for an incoming Freshman as to how to be more consistent to avoid "burning out"?

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you so much for the advice! Good luck in med school!!

Hailey Kang 2K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hailey Kang 2K » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Hello!

Thank you so much for this! I'm not sure if this was already asked, but how long would you say you studied for the MCAT before taking it?

Thank you!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:25 am

Jonathan Malau 2I wrote:Thank you for your advice Ashley. It has inspired me to truly want to become more proactive in my studies. Hope all has been well. Do you have any tips for an incoming Freshman as to how to be more consistent to avoid "burning out"?

You will face burnout in every part of your life if you continue to just go with the flow and study or work everyday. You need to make sure that you find time or set aside time for things that you enjoy. Every weekend, I go hiking or find some outdoor fun activity to do to break up the monotonous schedule of work/studying that is my Monday-Friday. Prior to covid, UCLA would have tons of fun activities to get involved in which would be great. But with what's going on, it's important you adjust too. Find things you love doing and set aside one day each week to do it. Sometimes, if I get out of the hospital somewhat earlier than normal, I'll experiment with a new recipe knowing perfectly well it's going to take much longer and force me to eat dinner late but I enjoy doing it and find it's worth it. As a freshman, do your best to set aside study breaks so you don't get too overwhelmed by all the resources and classes you need to study. Everyone uses the phrase work-life balance and it's really true. It takes a while to find what works for you, but I can't stress enough how important it is to set aside non-study "me time" to relax and do something that makes you forget about school for a chunk of time. Hope this helps!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:29 am

haileyk wrote:Hello!

Thank you so much for this! I'm not sure if this was already asked, but how long would you say you studied for the MCAT before taking it?

Thank you!

This is a really tough question to answer because it is dependent on the individual. I took a gap year so I had more of a "dedicated" time to study so I took maybe 1-2 months to study. However, if you are trying to study while taking courses, you need many more months because it will be difficult to MCAT study when you end up having midterms or projects you need to finish. It is completely up to you. Just don't rush studying. If you need to take a gap year, go for it. I actually recommend it, now looking back. So many people are in their mid to late 20s (some even in their 30s) when they start medical school and those students (from my personal experience) do a lot better with patient care as they have more life experience than students who are younger. Not to say that you shouldn't go right in from medical school, it's just from my experience, I'm glad I took some time off before applying.

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:19 pm

I am looking forward to attending medical school someday. Your advice was very helpful. Thank you so much!

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Thank you so much! The MCAT makes me terrified (pretty sure i'm not the only one), but this sure does give me reassurance.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for this post! As a pre-med student I find this very helpful.

IreneSeo3F

Postby IreneSeo3F » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:37 pm

I planned to be a premed student, but I never had the opportunity to talk to a real med student. This advice really helped me and I feel so relieved. Thank you!

Postby 905579227 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:56 pm

Thank you so much, do you have any tips for us corona online students?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:20 am

905579227 wrote:Thank you so much, do you have any tips for us corona online students?

This is a tough time for everyone. But it doesn't mean that you cannot still succeed and do well this quarter. I would take advantage of all the resources you have. You have office hours and TA/UA sessions. But the best thing to use would be Chemistry Community, which is basically 24/7 office hours. Now that it's online, it's pretty cool because there are people all across the US using this and answering questions. So ask at any time and your questions will get answered. Don't let it being online scare you, if anything it might make it easier to use more resources because you can log into a zoom session at any time and not have to worry about physically making it to a location on time. Even though lectures are online, don't be scared of finding ways to still ask questions. Hope this helps!

Emma Healy 2J

Postby Emma Healy 2J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of this information! This is all so helpful! I am so grateful for all of the UAs and all of the extra resources in this class; it's pretty amazing. Best of luck in your future!

Claudia_Danysh_2B

Postby Claudia_Danysh_2B » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:28 pm

This post has guided me during this quarter. I've been doing everything you said and I feel comfortable with the material and ready for the midterm!

Angel Gutierrez 2E

Postby Angel Gutierrez 2E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Would you say your major holds heavy weight when applying to med school? Is there a contrast between an applicant who has a degree in psych and another with a physci degree? Thank you so much for your advice!

Matlynn Giles 2E

Postby Matlynn Giles 2E » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 pm

I've been so stressed about school so this such a relief. It is so nice to see that someone is doing so well and so happy. Thanks so much for sharing! It means the world to us!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Claudia_Danysh_2C wrote:This post has guided me during this quarter. I've been doing everything you said and I feel comfortable with the material and ready for the midterm!

I'm glad to hear my advice was helpful. If there's anything else I can assist you with or advise you on, feel free to ask! Good luck this quarter!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Angel Gutierrez 2E wrote:Would you say your major holds heavy weight when applying to med school? Is there a contrast between an applicant who has a degree in psych and another with a physci degree? Thank you so much for your advice!

I don't think your major matters at all. Everyone needs to take the same pre-reqs when applying to medical school so if you are a science major, then your UCLA graduation requirements will cover more of your pre-reqs. If you aren't, you'll have to take additional courses to meet the requirements for medical school. However, those who aren't science majors have a unique background that set them apart during interviews. I loved talking to applicants who were art or French majors. Their background was so fascinating that they were teaching me things even though I was the one interviewing them. So really, there's no wrong answer. You may end up having to put in a little more work and do a few extra classes if you aren't a science major, but you have a little more uniqueness when it comes to your application. Hope this helps!

Postby 305614361 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:41 pm

Thank you for this advice, this really eases my mind especially after taking the first midterm

Anastasia Yulo 1C

Postby Anastasia Yulo 1C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:19 am

Chem_Mod wrote:
Megan_1F wrote:Thanks so much for your advice! I will definitely keep my notes handy as I go through my UCLA journey. Can you tell us a little bit more about your gap year? What types of clubs/ internships/ research opportunities/ etc. you were involved in that helped strengthen your medical school application?

My gap year was spent volunteering in an autism clinic in the mornings and assisting in some research in the field of autism during the afternoons. It was just a couple days a week because I needed time to study for the MCAT and then get my application for medical school ready. I also continued to UA for Dr. Lavelle for his Chem 14A and 14B courses. I wouldn't say that research is a must. Many applicants don't have research on their application. The reason I was involved in some research was because it went hand in hand with the volunteer work I was doing in the clinic. Everyone is always very interested in what is needed to strengthen one's application, but it's important to know that your GPA is probably the most heavily weighted item, so I would focus on that first and then worry about extracurriculars.

I hear very many good things from taking gap years before grad school. It gives an opportunity to work a job that doesn't require homework, just a headspace for the scheduled shift. Thanks for this post.

Postby 305614361 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:09 pm

Thank you for this!

Giselle_zamora_1L

Postby Giselle_zamora_1L » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 pm

thank you so much for your advice! But as someone who is struggling in this class and fears that will not do good, do you have some tips on how to improve from here on forward?

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 am

This was a great read for some advice not just for chemistry class, but for classes overall! Thank you so much. :) Time management has probably been the most difficult thing due to the remote transition, but with the resources in the class, I think it is manageable!!!

Postby 905579227 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Thank you so much for this information, is there anyway we could contact you for anyothe tips and tricks about med school, I feel like we can all agree that we are very stressed and anxious.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:29 am

Giselle_zamora_3E wrote:thank you so much for your advice! But as someone who is struggling in this class and fears that will not do good, do you have some tips on how to improve from here on forward?

To do well in this course, reach out for help. Go to office hours or peer learning sessions and take advantage of chemistry community. Even if you aren't posting a question, read up on some of the endorsed posts. Those usually include good discussions of various important topics. And lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions. I can't count the number of times I've asked a question that I thought was too simple that many other students also had confusion on too. And remember, it's up to you to do well. So use as many resources as possible, do the practice problems and study the answer key. It's more important that you understand the underlying core topic of the question rather than getting the exact numerical answer correct. If after all of this, you're still struggling, talk to Dr. Lavelle. He is amazing at mentoring students. Also, don't be too hard on yourself. This is likely your first quarter at UCLA. It's fast paced and needs some getting used to. With time, you'll get more comfortable and figure out what study strategies work for you. Good luck!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 am

905579227 wrote:Thank you so much for this information, is there anyway we could contact you for anyothe tips and tricks about med school, I feel like we can all agree that we are very stressed and anxious.

All of you are welcome to reach out and email me at smileysarquiz@ucla.edu. I'm happy to offer advice and help in any way that I can. You guys can also post your questions on chemistry community and I will always respond to them.

Postby 505352202 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you for this. It is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture (the bigger goal) when there is so much work to do.

Sheryl Ocampo 1D

Postby Sheryl Ocampo 1D » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:35 pm

This was so helpful, thanks for sharing :)

Postby 805421690 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:26 am

Thank you so much Ashley!!

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:59 pm

Thank you so much for this! I think a lot of things that we might have not seen as normal are now very normalized and I feel more secure as a pre-med student :)

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm

305405193 wrote:Thank you so much for this! I think a lot of things that we might have not seen as normal are now very normalized and I feel more secure as a pre-med student :)

Just know that everyone is in the same boat and we are all figuring it out together. Feel free to reach out and ask me any and all questions you may have. Good luck this quarter and throughout the rest of your UCLA career!

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:02 am

I wanted to write thank you on here! I keep re-reading this post because it helps me gain back motivation when I feel too defeated and scared about the future as a pre-med student. It’s been a lot of refreshing this page, but hopefully I can get through it!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Michelle Nguyen 3F wrote:I wanted to write thank you on here! I keep re-reading this post because it helps me gain back motivation when I feel too defeated and scared about the future as a pre-med student. It’s been a lot of refreshing this page, but hopefully I can get through it!

Hi Michelle, I am so glad you found this helpful. You will do great. Don't get too overwhelmed. UCLA is a lot. And it's a huge transition from high school. If you start getting overwhelmed, take a step back and focus on the positives. Don't focus on the things you don't know but reinforce what you already know. You know more than you think you do. Be confident. You are smart enough to get into UCLA. You're smart enough to succeed :)

Postby 305614361 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:57 pm

Thank you for the advice

Postby 305614361 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:58 pm

Thank you for this advice

Eduarda Diniz 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Eduarda Diniz 2B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:44 am

Thank you for the advice :)))

Anna Furton

Postby Anna Furton » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:39 am

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! It's wonderful to know that this course is clear and well-taught enough to be not only a way to knock out the chem requirement, but also an opportunity to learn topics that will be of use to us years in the future.

haryn Shin 1H

Postby haryn Shin 1H » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for the advice!!:)

Peter Fernandez 2K

Postby Peter Fernandez 2K » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:07 pm

This is really cool and helpful! It was really encouraging, thank you so much :)

Nataly Antonova 1B

Postby Nataly Antonova 1B » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:20 pm

This is extremely helpful, thank you! :)

LyahFitzpatrick 2E

Postby LyahFitzpatrick 2E » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:04 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure if you'll see this but I'm a current freshman following the pre-med track as an undeclared life sciences major. The pre-med track sounds difficult and daunting, but what are your thoughts on how rewarding it is? Do you think it is only meant for the right person? Also, is there more of a focus on biology or chemistry as I continue down this path? Others can answer as well, just wondering.

Travis Wang 2G

Postby Travis Wang 2G » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:53 pm

It's great that we have so many resources available to strengthen our knowledge for such a critical subject

Sam Forster 2J

Postby Sam Forster 2J » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:03 pm

Thank you so much! I am a current freshman going the pre-med track and this really eases my conscious!

Postby 805774026 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:02 am

It is very helpful! Thank you for posting!

Victoria Sigala 2A

Postby Victoria Sigala 2A » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for this advice! I know many of us students at UCLA tend to feel like they should know things right away so knowing that there is so much help makes it easier for us to accept it.

Nayeli Valtierra 2F

Postby Nayeli Valtierra 2F » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:58 pm

Hello Ashley,
Thank you so much for this advice! I appreciate you taking your time to help us out!

Ameerah Hameed 3B

Postby Ameerah Hameed 3B » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:36 pm

Hi Ashley! Thank you so much for the advice! I was wondering if you have felt times of uncertainty during your journey through med school? What I mean by this is were there many moments you felt overwhelmed to the point you thought about changing your academic path, and if so what did you do to combat those thoughts?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:18 am

705781961 wrote:Hello,
I'm not sure if you'll see this but I'm a current freshman following the pre-med track as an undeclared life sciences major. The pre-med track sounds difficult and daunting, but what are your thoughts on how rewarding it is? Do you think it is only meant for the right person? Also, is there more of a focus on biology or chemistry as I continue down this path? Others can answer as well, just wondering.

The pre-med track is hard but it’s good prep for what medical school brings. I believe it is a rewarding field; however, it’s very tough and if it’s not something you are interested it, it’ll be a long and very difficult path that won’t be worth it at all. The pre-med track will be more bio based as you get into upper division courses. So if bio isn’t of interest to you, make sure you really consider the path before deciding on your path.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am

Ameerah Hameed 3B wrote:Hi Ashley! Thank you so much for the advice! I was wondering if you have felt times of uncertainty during your journey through med school? What I mean by this is were there many moments you felt overwhelmed to the point you thought about changing your academic path, and if so what did you do to combat those thoughts?

Of course! There were many times in med school when I would have a tough day and feel like giving up. But honestly, you just push through and the next day will be better. It really helps to find a group of friends in your similar field who will understand. Even recently in residency, I had a rough day but my roommate is also a resident so when coming home I had someone to talk to who could relate and it really helps. Just find someone to talk to and someone who will understand. And just know that it is temporary and that anything bad going on will pass. Also, find something you love and make sure to set aside time (even if it’s as little as 15-20 minutes a day) to do it. It’ll distract you for a tiny bit of time and reset your train of thought. Hope it helps! Feel free to continue to reach out if you have any other questions.

Isabella Nassir 2B

Postby Isabella Nassir 2B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:53 am

Thank you so much for this post. I am very interested in medicine and having personal advice from a med student is so inspiring and important to me.

Ameerah Hameed 3B

Postby Ameerah Hameed 3B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:30 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:
Ameerah Hameed 3B wrote:Hi Ashley! Thank you so much for the advice! I was wondering if you have felt times of uncertainty during your journey through med school? What I mean by this is were there many moments you felt overwhelmed to the point you thought about changing your academic path, and if so what did you do to combat those thoughts?

Of course! There were many times in med school when I would have a tough day and feel like giving up. But honestly, you just push through and the next day will be better. It really helps to find a group of friends in your similar field who will understand. Even recently in residency, I had a rough day but my roommate is also a resident so when coming home I had someone to talk to who could relate and it really helps. Just find someone to talk to and someone who will understand. And just know that it is temporary and that anything bad going on will pass. Also, find something you love and make sure to set aside time (even if it’s as little as 15-20 minutes a day) to do it. It’ll distract you for a tiny bit of time and reset your train of thought. Hope it helps! Feel free to continue to reach out if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your response!! I have been working out recently and it has allowed me to step away from school stress which I have found incredibly helpful. It truly is so nice to hear your opinions and views on how med school and residency is while you are actually gong through it because I only am able to hear opinions of influencers that are in med school and I don't always know how accurate it is. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to me and help me out!! :)

Jeremy 3B

Postby Jeremy 3B » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Thank you for writing this. It was a really inspiring post to read. You're right, this course does feel really intimidating at least to me. I appreciate the advice that you gave. I intend on following all of it. I hope this course goes well for me.

Grant_2A

Postby Grant_2A » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:38 pm

Thank you for the advice! I am a little stressed about the upcoming midterm but I will take your advice and hopefully it will help me succeed.

HannahArabi14a

Postby HannahArabi14a » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Being a current medical school student, or graduated by now what advice do you have to do well in medical school? How many hours do you dedicate to studying and how do you manage your time while staying on top of everything as well as your mental and physical health?
Also, in a previous post you said that pre med is more bio based. I finished the biology requirements but I didn’t like my general biology classes, because I thought they were rather broad and non medical related, like taxonomy. Should I be concerned about this? Thank you. Good luck and hope residency goes well!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 pm

HannahArabi14a wrote:Being a current medical school student, or graduated by now what advice do you have to do well in medical school? How many hours do you dedicate to studying and how do you manage your time while staying on top of everything as well as your mental and physical health?
Also, in a previous post you said that pre med is more bio based. I finished the biology requirements but I didn’t like my general biology classes, because I thought they were rather broad and non medical related, like taxonomy. Should I be concerned about this? Thank you. Good luck and hope residency goes well!

In medical school, there’s a lot of studying. The first two years when you’re in the classroom, you do a lot of studying by the books just like in college. Most weekdays were spent studying all day after class. Weekends I had some free time to do fun activities but I was studying about 7d a week. Third and fourth year of medical school, you study the clinical material. You see an interesting case in the hospital and you read up on it at home so that you know how to treat the patient better (what tests to order, next steps for treatment, etc). It can be a lot but you need to find things to do that make you happy and be sure to set aside time each day to do something that makes you happy. If you study 24/7 you won’t retain anything after a while. And you come to a point of diminishing return where you’re reading but not retaining.

For your question regarding bio, I wouldn’t be too worried. They will teach you everything you need to know in courses in Med school. It just may not be as familiar to you. But there’s a lot of general bio in medicine that isn’t medically related but you still need to understand the underlying biological mechanism. So if you’re general bio wasn’t what you thought it would be, don’t worry too much. But at the same time if it was something you hated then also use it as something telling you maybe it’s not the field you want to go into (take that advice for any course in the future, don’t try to force yourself to like something and don’t try to force yourself into a career you won’t like. It’s not worth it). Hope this helps!

Jacob Kirkosian 3C

Postby Jacob Kirkosian 3C » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 pm

Thank you for the advice! As an aspiring pre-med student, I hope to gain an in-depth understanding of organic chemistry and chemistry as a whole.

Jacob Kirkosian 3C

Postby Jacob Kirkosian 3C » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Thank you for your advice! Staying on schedule is hard at times with the work load, but your post has motivated me to continue reading and studying every recommended lesson on the syllabus.

Postby 605778346 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:57 am

Thank you so much. I felt like this class is a little difficult because it covers so much material in just one quarter. I'm glad to know that the concepts we are learning in this class will also be covered in other classes that I will take.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:57 pm

Jacob Kirkosian 3C wrote:Thank you for your advice! Staying on schedule is hard at times with the work load, but your post has motivated me to continue reading and studying every recommended lesson on the syllabus.

Happy to help. If there is anything I can help you with, whether it be in regards to scheduling or time management or anything UCLA related, feel free to reach out. I'm happy to offer advice and share all the mistakes I've made to prevent you from making them yourself.

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:09 am

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely save these notes as i study for the MCAT!

Joseph Ettipio

Postby Joseph Ettipio » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 am

Thank you for the advice Ashley!

Tristan Friet 3G

Postby Tristan Friet 3G » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 am

Thank you so much for this advice Ashley! Couple years down the line and it is still very relevant and useful!

Isabella Nassir 2B

Postby Isabella Nassir 2B » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:45 am

I frequently come back to this post for advice. Thanks again for sharing it helps a lot to hear from someone with experience in the class and in a field many of us are interested in!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:10 pm

Tristan Friet 3G wrote:Thank you so much for this advice Ashley! Couple years down the line and it is still very relevant and useful!

So glad you found it useful. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help!

Postby 505705039 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 pm

I know this was posted a few years ago but it was really nice to read and motivating!!

Postby 405825570 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:48 am

Thank you for this advice, I did not know that these chem classes would be so important for the mcat!

Grant_2A

Postby Grant_2A » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:53 pm

This was very helpful, Thank you! I will be saving my notes !

Cory Poon 3G

Postby Cory Poon 3G » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:25 pm

Thank you very much for this!

Cory Poon 3G

Postby Cory Poon 3G » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm

Thank you very much for this!

Postby 305692127 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm a student in the Pre-Med route and I sometimes find it difficult to discipline myself to a strict schedule because it is a difficult route to confine to. But then I take a step back and listen to incredible stories like the ones here, and the advice given to students who have made it and are making their dreams come true. It encourages me to continue and to strive for my dreams, no matter the cost. Thank you, for your advice and for the time taken for your consideration. I truly appreciate it.

Morgan Micallef 1A

Postby Morgan Micallef 1A » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 am

Thank you so much, this was really helpful to read!

Esther Kim

Postby Esther Kim » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:34 pm

thank you for the advice :))

Isabelle Kludt 2B

Postby Isabelle Kludt 2B » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:48 pm

This is great to know thank you!

Esther Kim

Postby Esther Kim » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:25 pm

Thank you !!

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:45 pm

Thank you so much Ashley best of luck with everything. :)

AJackman

Postby AJackman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:38 pm

Thank you for the advice! Do you recommending buying these textbooks to study from later as well, instead of just renting them?

Alyssa Cua 2J

Postby Alyssa Cua 2J » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:56 pm

Super inspiring! This gave me a ton of motivation to work hard and do some good chemistry! :)

Grant_2A

Postby Grant_2A » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:54 am

Thank you !

Postby 705573518 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Whenever I am feeling a little negative about my pre med classes, reading through these "Advice from a Medical Student" posts on here really actually help me. It just goes to show where we can all be someday and it is really motivating for me! :)

WS405590915

Postby WS405590915 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:15 pm

This is really helpful, thank you for sharing.

Thanks

Parinita Jithendra 2A

Postby Parinita Jithendra 2A » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:33 pm

Thank you so much for this advice! as a pre-med student it is certainly encouraging to hear this

Lindsey 3C

Postby Lindsey 3C » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm

Thanks so much for this advice. What would you recommend we do if we did not take 14A with Dr. Lavelle?

Deivy Gonzalez 3H

Postby Deivy Gonzalez 3H » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:22 pm

Appreciate the insight.

Catrina Tran 2B

Postby Catrina Tran 2B » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:13 pm

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm currently pre-med rn and I was wondering where can I find the topics that will be on the MCAT. I know the subjects that will be on the test such as chemistry and physics, but where can I find out what specific topics will be tested? For example, I know chemistry is on the test but do I need to know the entirety of chemistry or just certain skills/topics?

Danielle Paisley 1H

Postby Danielle Paisley 1H » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:26 pm

Thank you so much! This is excellent advice and I look forward to growing my knowledge of Chemistry through this course!

Russell Ahmed 2K

Postby Russell Ahmed 2K » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:46 pm

Thanks, Ashley! Your advice is very useful even after all of these years since posting. I hope the world of medicine is treating you well!

_3474001_

Postby _3474001_ » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:51 pm

Really appreciative of this advice!

Hoang Nguyen 3H

Postby Hoang Nguyen 3H » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:08 pm

Thank you so much for the advice!

Emily H 1F

Postby Emily H 1F » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 pm

Thank you Ashley for this helpful information :)

Marylin Martinez 1F

Postby Marylin Martinez 1F » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm

Thank you so much! As a pre-med student, this is very helpful and I will definitely be using this information to guide me :)

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:36 pm

AJackman wrote:Thank you for the advice! Do you recommending buying these textbooks to study from later as well, instead of just renting them?

It's honestly up to you. If you're someone who likes to write in/annotate books, then buy them. I personally have pdf copies of most of my textbooks not necessarily to read every page but for easy access when I need to refresh on something quickly.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:38 pm

Lindsey 3C wrote:Thanks so much for this advice. What would you recommend we do if we did not take 14A with Dr. Lavelle?

For the most part, the general concepts of Chem 14A should be the same independent of your professor. The only thing that is different is how it is taught. If you had someone else but understand the concepts then you should be fine. If you feel you don't have a strong grasp, there's always textbooks or other supplemental material you can study.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 pm

Catrina Tran 2B wrote:Thanks so much for the advice. I'm currently pre-med rn and I was wondering where can I find the topics that will be on the MCAT. I know the subjects that will be on the test such as chemistry and physics, but where can I find out what specific topics will be tested? For example, I know chemistry is on the test but do I need to know the entirety of chemistry or just certain skills/topics?

You definitely don't need to know everything. If you search MCAT topics online, you should be able to go to the official MCAT website and they will breakdown the format of the exam and list the topics covered. I would definitely look this up prior to your studies so you know what to focus on. Good luck!

isabella reeves 1D

Postby isabella reeves 1D » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:16 am

Thank you so much for the advice! I always try to save my notes so it is good to know they will be helpful in the future

Frankie Xu 2H

Postby Frankie Xu 2H » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:15 pm

Thank you for the advice! I have been feeling very lazy when making notes so this will definitely motivate me to make them better to help me in the future.

Postby 106024424 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:14 pm

Thank you so much for this advice. As a premed, the progression of this program seems daunting but your advice is helpful!

alexandra

Postby alexandra » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:50 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these tips!

Cristina Subratie 1C

Postby Cristina Subratie 1C » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:21 pm

Thank you so much for this advice! It is really helpful to hear about other people's journeys.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”