Week 9 Test

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

gabbym

Week 9 Test

Postby gabbym » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Hey guys, I was unable to make it to my discussion the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and I had a couple of questions regarding the upcoming test. I was wondering what kinds of questions were going to be asked regarding bond lengths and strengths. Is it just going to be mostly conceptual questions? I think I am just confused overall about what we have to know regarding this subject. Also, how much do we need to know in regards to valence bond theory and hybridization? I know we just started going over it, so what kinds are questions are going to be on the test?

Alyssa Wilson 2A

Re: Week 9 Test

Postby Alyssa Wilson 2A » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi, I was told we should know everything on the outlines for "Chemical Bonds" and "Molecular Shape and Structure," I believe it will be a mixture of both conceptual questions as well as drawing the lewis structure, calculating the bond angles, and the molecular shape.

michellebui_3L

Postby michellebui_3L » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Test 3 covers: End of Bonding from 3.12 (6 Ed.) and from 2D (7 Ed.); and all of Molecular Shape and Structure (see Syllabus and Outlines for details). This is was Dr. Lavelle posted on his website.

Kessandra Ng 1K

Postby Kessandra Ng 1K » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 pm

For VSEPR, just be sure to memorise all the names, bond angles, etc., and be sure you know how to draw Lewis structures (because this is normally how you figure out the rest of the info). For bond lengths and strengths, I think the only thing you need to remember is that the shorter the bond, the stronger it is - i.e. a triple bond is stronger than a double bond which is stronger than a single bond, so correspondingly, a triple bond is the shortest and a single bond is the longest.

Nicolle Fernandez 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nicolle Fernandez 1E » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm

It is very important to memorize the VESPR chart and all the bond angles and names because I heard that is part of every problem

Josceline 3J

Postby Josceline 3J » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:01 am

I heard that we need to also feel very confident with the Lewis structures for the sections on molecular structure because an error in the structure can make you get everything else wrong.

Liza Hayrapetyan-3K

Postby Liza Hayrapetyan-3K » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:44 pm

You can check online, Professor Lavelle lists what you need to know for the test!

"Test 3 covers: End of Bonding from 3.12 (6 Ed.) and from 2D (7 Ed.); and all of Molecular Shape and Structure (see Syllabus and Outlines for details)."

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”