Advice from a Medical Student - Part II  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 404 times

Re: Advice from a Medical Student - Part II

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm

KatherineValdez_4B wrote:wow that's so cool. Do you have advice for first years who want to potentially go to grad school and become physicians?

I'd probably say focus on your academics; medical schools want to make sure that if accepted you will be able to pass and so they will pick applicants who they think have a strong academic background. I'd probably then say focus on enjoying your classes and don't have tunnel vision for medical school. Don't force yourself into liking it because it is a very very long journey and it's incredibly tough. So you want to make sure it falls into place and that you actually enjoy it before you decide to commit. So keep an open mind and see if there are other graduate departments that maybe peak your interest along the way.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Maya Serota 3G wrote:Thank you so much for sharing. I am also thinking about Medical school -- as someone who has already gone through it, do you recommend doing anything specific as an undergraduate to make a Medical School application especially stand out? I know it is extremely competitive. Thank you again for your time!

The best thing you can do is keep up with your hobbies. Medical schools want well-rounded individuals. They don't care what extracurriculars you do as long as you show that you are committed and passionate about something. They want to see if you have a life outside of medicine (which is extremely important). So don't give up what you used to do for fun. Keep at it and then you can use that as something that has defined your growth about who you are today. Because once you get to the interview stage, they want to know about you and what you like to do in your free time. They want to know if you will be a good match for their medical school.

Sreyes_1G

Postby Sreyes_1G » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 pm

It was so great to hear your story. Often times it feels like we should know exactly what we want to do with our careers but it is nice to see an example of success while not knowing exactly each step going forward.

Nare Nazaryan 3E

Postby Nare Nazaryan 3E » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:14 am

HI! Thank you so much for taking time out of your already busy schedule to answer our questions. I'm not sure if someone asked this already, but in terms of medical school, I've always wondered how I'd be able to balance that with family, especially because my ultimate career goal is to become a neurosurgeon. I know that by the time I finish medical school and do my residency, I'm going to be in my 30s, but at the same time, I want to start a family before that. I've always wanted to have both a good career that I love, as well as a family. I know it's a strange question, but if you have any advice on the matter, I'd really appreciate it!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:52 am

Nare Nazaryan 3E wrote:HI! Thank you so much for taking time out of your already busy schedule to answer our questions. I'm not sure if someone asked this already, but in terms of medical school, I've always wondered how I'd be able to balance that with family, especially because my ultimate career goal is to become a neurosurgeon. I know that by the time I finish medical school and do my residency, I'm going to be in my 30s, but at the same time, I want to start a family before that. I've always wanted to have both a good career that I love, as well as a family. I know it's a strange question, but if you have any advice on the matter, I'd really appreciate it!

That's a really tough question to answer because it depends on the person. I don't want to give too much of my opinion because each person values family time differently but keep in mind residency for neurosurgery is a minimum of 7 years after the 4 years of medical school. I have worked with a couple of neurosurgeons and while they love what they practice, the amount of time they get to spend with their family isn't as great as other professions. It does get better with time (once they're an attending) but remember during your residency, you don't get to choose your schedule so you end up with pretty bad hours. So my one piece of advice is whatever career you choose, just remember that it will also affect your significant other and your children. I put a huge emphasis on family so for me, I want a career that has nice hours that allows me to spend time with my family. It's completely up to you what career you choose and when you plan to start a family, but just remember that anyone who picks any career in medicine needs to have an understanding family and support system who will understand why they can't be there for certain events or holidays (for example, I'll be in the hospital on Thanksgiving this year).

Postby 105289321 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks so much for sharing I am very interested in the medical field so hearing your story was helpful!

curry 1E

Postby curry 1E » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 am

Does anyone have any advice about taking a gap year after graduating and before applying for medical school?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 pm

curry 1E wrote:Does anyone have any advice about taking a gap year after graduating and before applying for medical school?

It's up to you to decide if you want to take one. I took a gap year mostly because I found it difficult to study for the MCAT and prepare my medical school application while still taking a full courseload at UCLA. Also, if you choose to go straight into medical school, then you will have many interviews during your last year at UCLA and interview days take about 2-3 days based on travel time so you need to take into account all the class days that you will be missing. Medical schools do not give you the option to choose your interview date; they assign it to you so if it lands on a day you have a midterm or final, you're kind of stuck. Furthermore, I will say that the demographics of my class is that the majority of incoming students are older than 25-26 years. It's not necessarily due to gap years but many students pursued Master's Degrees prior to applying to medical school. Based on observing some of my older classmates, I do think that the older you are, the better their skills are in the clinical setting when it comes to your 3rd and 4th years of medical school. Many people are concerned that if you take a gap year, it will be hard to get back to studying once you're accepted but I didn't think it was the case (for me at least). Also, many students use the gap year to bolster their CV so their medical school application is stronger. It's honestly up to you, but I can say that I am happy with my decision to take a gap year and even looking back I wouldn't have changed anything.

Madeline Phan 4H

Postby Madeline Phan 4H » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 am

As a premed student, I found your story refreshing and inspiring. Sometimes it's hard to remember why I chose the path that I did, but hearing your story made me want to push on and work as hard as I can to reach my goals. Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences and be open about your path. Best of luck to you in medical school!

Keerthana Sivathasan 4G

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 4G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Hearing your story makes me so happy! Congratulations on everything you have achieved so far and everything you are going to in the future. Pediatrics is my desired specialty, so I'm so happy you find it so enjoyable. I think it's interesting to go through rotations in several different specialties so you can get a feel of each, and see if you actually like doing what you plan to do.

MBouwman_4A

Postby MBouwman_4A » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Thank you for sharing your story! It was so helpful and provided wonderful insight. Your feedback and advice is appreciated!

Rich Zodda 4B

Postby Rich Zodda 4B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:
Rich Zodda 4B wrote:Thank you so much. This was probably the most helpful post I've read so far

Thank you so much for that feedback. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to guide you :)

Thanks! I really appreciate it! I might be emailing you in the the near future

Rebekah Alfred 1L

Postby Rebekah Alfred 1L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:
Rebekah Alfred 1L wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us and answer our questions! Your advice is extremely helpful and motivating. Is there anything you didn't expect to experience as a medical student that you wish you knew before starting medical school?

It wasn't really an experience, but the one thing I wish I had done differently was learn anatomy prior to medical school. It's difficult because UCLA doesn't offer an anatomy course to take and it's not a prerequisite for medical school. However, that class was extremely fast paced and it was so overwhelming learning each innervation and vascular supply to each muscle in the body that I wish I had seen it earlier (not so that I knew it all but just so I would have some familiarity with the terminology). It honestly felt like I was learning a new language with all the new vocabulary terms for identification that I had to know for that class.

I'll keep this in mind before I apply to medical school!

Naren_Ramesh_4D

Postby Naren_Ramesh_4D » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:20 am

Awesome advice! What major were you as an undergraduate if you don't mind me asking?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Naren_Ramesh_4D wrote:Awesome advice! What major were you as an undergraduate if you don't mind me asking?

I was an MCDB major. The classes I found were really interesting. However, no matter what major you are, you get a lot of extra upper division electives you can take in any major which allowed me to explore classes outside of the MCDB requirements.

Brynne Burrows 3K

Postby Brynne Burrows 3K » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:32 pm

I love your perspective on being able to take these classes at UCLA and how big of an opportunity this is for us and maybe our last opportunity to learn about this subject material! Thank you so much for sharing and good luck with the rest of your journey!!

Jaklin Astvatsatryan

Postby Jaklin Astvatsatryan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. It's inspiring to hear that you made it that far and your love for science continues to grow. I am still debating on what route to follow but your story reassured me that I will be exposed to so many fields in medical school.

Alexis 3F

Postby Alexis 3F » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Thank you so much this was so helpful

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”