Homework

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Julia Kim 1D

Homework

Postby Julia Kim 1D » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Do we have to read the entire chapter assigned for homework on top of the problems? I started reading Chapter 1 but it seems to cover a lot more information than I think we will cover in class. Do we have to read all 54 pages or just do the practice problems?

Michelle Dela Rosa 1D

Re: Homework

Postby Michelle Dela Rosa 1D » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Doing all the reading before jumping into the practice problems does take some time, but even though there's no way to truly check if we use the textbook chapters as a resource, I think that reading the assigned chapters could only help us understand the conceptual side of the course material more fully in the long run.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 pm

The book does cover some topics in more detail than we will be covering in class. However, if the section is not omitted as marked in the syllabus, we will be covering it, though the depth at which we approach certain topics may be less than what is in the text. We highly recommend doing both the reading and all of the homework as they are key to doing well in the course.

The homework problems which I have assigned are the best guide on what to focus in each chapter.

Also the equations I cover in class and in the courses reader and homework are the best sections to focus on.

There are no surprises in my classes. If I do not cover a topic in class (for example Black Body Radiation) it will not be examined in a quiz or exam.

Orly Termeie 3I

Postby Orly Termeie 3I » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:44 am

jkim 1D wrote:Do we have to read the entire chapter assigned for homework on top of the problems? I started reading Chapter 1 but it seems to cover a lot more information than I think we will cover in class. Do we have to read all 54 pages or just do the practice problems?

I started the practice problems and reading the chapter first did help quite a bit. I was able to understand the questions better and the questions did not seem too challenging. By having some exposure to the equations and formulas it will make the practice problems less difficult. Also, you will be more prepared for the lectures! :)

Nadiyah Priasti 4H

Postby Nadiyah Priasti 4H » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:31 pm

I just enrolled in this class and I was wondering where the homework assignments are found, and also when are they due?

Orly Termeie 3I

Postby Orly Termeie 3I » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:22 pm

The homework assignments can be found in the first few pages of the course reader and in the syllabus. In addition, the homework responses are due as we continue through a chapter. Homework questions are not collected, but it is highly recommended that you do the problems for practice. I recommend trying some problems before the lecture to get a head start, but if you do not understand something in the homework it will probably be clarified during class or your discussion.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”