Built-in webcams/Equipment request  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Irene Nguyen 2J

Built-in webcams/Equipment request

Postby Irene Nguyen 2J » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Is there confirmation that webcams must be external? I'm getting a lot of mixed answers on whether built in cameras are allowed or not and if it's mandatory to have an external webcam and the equipment request instructs do not specify that. Are the webcams from the form only available to pick up in person?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Built-in webcams/Equipment request  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Your TA is also your proctor and if your TA can see your work area via Zoom proctoring then all good.

If it is difficult for your TA/proctor to see your work area (desktop/tabletop area) then an external webcam is a better option.
Webcams are available on Amazon, etc., for $10-$20.
They will be even less due to Amazon Prime Day sale Tuesday, October 13 to Wednesday, October 14 (today and tomorrow).

Independent of proctoring it is easier to use an external webcam to show a book page, show another student how to work out a solution while you write it, etc. Or during Zoom office hours or Zoom drop-in sessions when you want to show something: An external webcam can be used to assist students with anything in a zoom session, even show an error on a computer screen, etc.

For midterms and final, joining the Zoom proctoring session using your cell phone is another option. The student needs to make sure they have Zoom set up on their phone with their UCLA account, and the link to the Zoom session. Using your phone seems more complicated and less easy, but it is an option. Using an external webcam connected to your computer is an easier and more versatile setup as it is ready to use during any zoom session.

For students in need, and don’t have a computer or laptop or internet access (which are more expensive) then use this resource:

https://www.library.ucla.edu/covid-19-r ... es#laptops

Here are the steps:

1. Go to https://www.library.ucla.edu/covid-19-r ... es#laptops
2. Under Resources Quick Links, click the link associated with "Check out a laptop or other equipment."
3. Sign in, or create an account.
4. Click "Student Equipment Request Form."
5. Fill out contact form.
6. Select Chemistry 14A as your enrolled Fall course.
7. Fill out the rest of the form according to your specific needs and situation.
8. You will receive a confirmation email immediately.
9. Once your request has been reviewed, a representative will send you a follow up email in the next few days about receiving your equipment.

Antonio Garcia 3A

Re: Built-in webcams/Equipment request

Postby Antonio Garcia 3A » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Will an iPhone work as an external camera?

Claire_Kim_2F

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:16 pm

Yah and Iphone would be considered an external webcam but he said it is not suggested and a bit more complicated.

Jamie Wang 3C

Postby Jamie Wang 3C » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:14 am

My TA said that as long as we join zoom on our phones, she'll be able to see us.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:43 am

Read this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=63961

Ruochen Yang 3B

Postby Ruochen Yang 3B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 am

I think it's recommended to have an external webcam, but it's okay as long as your TA can see your surroundings through zoom. I think you can use your laptop for the exam and have your phone or tablet on zoom to serve as a webcam. That would be economical and practical!

Javier Perez M 1H

Postby Javier Perez M 1H » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 pm

For the exam, my TA said that you will need some sort of camera showing your workspace. If your desktop/laptop doesn't have a camera then you will be forced to take out your phone and login to the zoom session via phone where through that camera they will monitor you during the exam.

Karen Elrayes 1L

Postby Karen Elrayes 1L » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:31 am

You definitely don't need to buy an external webcam. You can use ur phone to zoom and that will show ur workspace. It would be difficult to use ur computer webcam because you will be taking the exam on the computer and so you can't bend the laptop to show your workspace at the same time.

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi, you can just use a second device like a phone or iPad if you have one that you can use to show your workspace. That way you don't have to spend extra money and buy an external separate external webcam!

jessicaosuna_1F

Postby jessicaosuna_1F » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:33 pm

From what I understand, we do need an external webcam. I've heard that using your i phone could work, but I never received 100% confirmation on that, so I bought a $20 external cam from amazon.

Serena Song 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Serena Song 1A » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:08 pm

I think it could depend on your TA. Mine is allowing us to use our phone or tablet as an external camera.

LexyDenaburg_3A

Postby LexyDenaburg_3A » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:10 pm

I'm in discussion 3A, does anyone know if we are allowed to use our phones for all discussions or is it up to our TA?

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 pm

I am in discussion 2B, does anyone know if I can use an IPad as my external webcam to show my workspace? I feel like this will work better than my phone.

Jamie2002

Postby Jamie2002 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Having zoom on your phone should be good enough! At least that is what my TA told me

Molly Posta 1H

Postby Molly Posta 1H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Regarding the questions about phones, has anyone actually been able to open respondus through their phone and connect to zoom through it? I tired during discussion section last week but it didn't work, so I'm wondering if other people were able to.

Bai Rong Lin 2K

Postby Bai Rong Lin 2K » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Irene Nguyen 3H wrote:Is there confirmation that webcams must be external? I'm getting a lot of mixed answers on whether built in cameras are allowed or not and if it's mandatory to have an external webcam and the equipment request instructs do not specify that. Are the webcams from the form only available to pick up in person?

I think it is based on your TA as I believe there are a lot of TA that says that we are allowed to use our phone for the midterm.

Edward Castro

Postby Edward Castro » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:24 pm

The midterm is all based on the way your TA wants to format it. I believe you can use. your phone and you computer webcam as long as they can see everything.

MichaelMendozaD1F

Postby MichaelMendozaD1F » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:02 am

has there been an update about this requirement?

Angelica Soriano 3L

Postby Angelica Soriano 3L » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 am

Jamie2002 wrote:Having zoom on your phone should be good enough! At least that is what my TA told me

To clarify, does that mean we'll connect to zoom on our phone and then take the midterm on another device so we can open up respondus?

Angelica Soriano 3L

Postby Angelica Soriano 3L » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:35 am

Angelica Soriano 1F wrote:
Jamie2002 wrote:Having zoom on your phone should be good enough! At least that is what my TA told me

To clarify, does that mean we'll connect to zoom on our phone and then take the midterm on another device so we can open up respondus?

Never mind! I just read the other thread. Thank you.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:01 pm

I think that they strongly recommend that we have external webcams because of the way that the lockdown browser works, but it seems like you can still take the test without one, maybe just less conveniently. My TA also said that maybe we will be able to take the test on an ipad if you have those, and then use the lockdown browser on your computer.

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:04 pm

If I can see my screen fine with it bent, do I still
need to use a secondary device for responudus and exams?

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”