Notetaking and Organization

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hazelle Gunawan 3G

Notetaking and Organization

Postby Hazelle Gunawan 3G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:27 pm

I've been taking notes on separate documents for each lecture, but some of the topics are split between lectures so I was wondering if people were splitting up documents by topics or just compiling everything into one document for the week or even the entire course. Additionally, does anyone have any special tricks or techniques they use to help them retain information better?

Natalie 3k

Re: Notetaking and Organization

Postby Natalie 3k » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Since most of the topics relate to each other in some way, I've just been compiling everything into one document. I make sure I label everything appropriately so it is easy to find later on. The only thing that helps me retain information better is repetition and practice so I go over my notes multiple times and I attempt all the practice problems.

Hannah Alltucker 3L

Postby Hannah Alltucker 3L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 pm

I personally have been splitting my notes into sections based on topic rather than lecture, as I find it easier if I need to reference one specific topic rather than try to figure out what lecture it was covered in. For tips and tricks, I always reread through my notes a few hours after class with something to mark any areas that my notes are confusing, of if I still have questions on a topic. I also highlight any information that I think is really important. Another really good way to make sure you understand your stuff is to actually explain it to someone else, be it a peer or a stuffed animal. Teaching is apparently one of the best ways to make sure you actually know a topic, so just saying it out loud, hearing yourself say it, and formulating thoughts on how to have it make sense to another person all really solidify that knowledge in your brain.

Bailey Giovanoli 1L

Postby Bailey Giovanoli 1L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:36 pm

I personally prefer to split my notes up by topic, just because sometimes I find it difficult to navigate through one long document. When they are all split up, I find it faster to find my topic of interest just by looking at the title of my notes. Also, the topics are split up into topic names and not classified by weeks, so if you put all your notes for one week on a document it might be hard to navigate. However, if you prefer to do your notes all on one document, I suppose highlighting the topic name would have the same effect. This is also personal preference, so what works for one person may not work for another, so take this with a grain of salt.

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Hi! For me personally, I keep all my chem notes in one notebook, but every new lecture I watch starts on a new page. I do this because I like to refer to different lectures and topics based on what week they were taught. I would say best way for me to retain information would be to do the practice problems given to us in the textbook. From what I have heard from my friends who took this class before me, doing the optional practice that we don't have to turn in will really help for the midterms and final.

Victoria_Sauceda_1B

Postby Victoria_Sauceda_1B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 pm

A trick learned from my high school chem teacher was to use sticky notes on your notes. The main things you want to remember and want to find easily so that it doesn't get lost in the notes

BaileyB1F

Postby BaileyB1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 pm

A trick I use to retain information is flashcards that go over definitions and equations. I also used colored pens to emphasize key terms or things that are important to remember. For organizing everything in your notebook, I say using colored sticky notes to distinguish which section or unit we're learning helps a lot.

sabrina ghalambor 2J

Postby sabrina ghalambor 2J » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 am

i've been organizing all my notes by week! i usually will have some dotted line on the page to represent the end of each lecture but this way when i review for exams, the content will be organized in the same way as sapling and ccle.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”