Exam Format

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kayle Lim 2C

Exam Format

Postby Kayle Lim 2C » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:50 pm

Hello! I am not sure if it is in the syllabus or has been answered before but does anyone know how the exams are formatted? This is the first time I have taken chem with Professor Lavelle and I know midterms will be during class and proctored through TAs does this mean we will be taking it through zoom? Past posts from students in 14a have said that the exams are multiple choice so I was wondering if that is the same case for this quarter. Also, would I need to print anything out or have a tablet ready to draw on to submit anything for the exams? I just want to be technologically prepared ahead of time, my printer is currently broken and I have not fixed it yet or gotten a new one because so far none of my classes have required me to print anything.

Crystal Hsueh 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Exam Format

Postby Crystal Hsueh 2L » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Hi! Assuming that the exam format is the exact same as it was last quarter in 14A (with a few changes that are noted on the syllabus) here's what you mainly need to know:
- Midterms will be on the Friday of Week 4 and Week 7. On the syllabus it says during class so I assume we will start when lecture is scheduled to start (last quarter we took midterms during our discussion, but I assume Lavelle changed it so everyone had equal time to study)
- Exams are all multiple choice. Though the content in 14B is very calculation heavy, I believe this format will remain considering we are being proctored and using Respondus Lockdown Browser. If anything, he might offer partial credit for some questions
- You are allowed a calculator, the equation sheet from Lavelle's website, the periodic table from Lavelle's website, and as much blank scratch paper as you think is necessary
- You'll need a secondary device (phone or tablet or laptop) just for Zoom. This will be pointed at your workspace during the exam where your TA will be monitoring you

I hope I answered all your questions! :)

Akshata Kapadne 2K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Akshata Kapadne 2K » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:04 pm

Nothing has been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure we are going to have the same exam format as 14A, with a multiple choice exam over Zoom. You will need to print 2 pieces of paper for the exams: the periodic table and the equation formula sheet, which are both on Lavelle's website. Lavelle will most likely send out an email with all the necessary information as midterm season approaches.

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:23 pm

If the exams are the same format as 14a, I recommend joining the zoom at least 5 minutes early! It gets a bit chaotic when everyone joins and the TA has to go around checking papers.

BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F

Postby BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 pm

One major tip for the exams to join really early so you can get your paper checked before the exam with your TA and do not have to be super stressed out

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Exams will be multiple choice again and during lecture. You will be allowed a calculator, and the formula sheet and periodic tables of elements found on the course website. You will be proctored on zoom, so join a few minutes early since it can get pretty crazy!

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Totally agree with previous repliers. Arrive early! It makes things less stressful for you and your peers, and it reduces the time you might spend over the limit.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 pm

I would assume they would all be multiple choice and during the lecture, with the exam being proctored and with the use of Respondus. Also, usually most if not all of the points are worth the same amount of points or around the same amount.

Isabel Luu 1I

Postby Isabel Luu 1I » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:40 pm

So we have just the 50 minute lecture time for the exam? And about how long did you have for each question? Like were there a lot of shorter questions or was it just a few questions that took a while?

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Isabel Luu 1I wrote:So we have just the 50 minute lecture time for the exam? And about how long did you have for each question? Like were there a lot of shorter questions or was it just a few questions that took a while?

For me, I ended the midterms with a lot of time since a decent amount of questions were conceptual while the rest of it was calculations which I spent more time on. As for the final, the time crunch was real and I ended up having to guess a few questions at the end since I didn't space my time out well. I'm hoping Lavelle gives more time for the 14B final.

LeanneBagood_2F

Postby LeanneBagood_2F » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Adding on to this, does anyone know/has anyone heard how the Zoom calls will work this quarter since we aren't taking the exams during our discussion?

Molly_Peterson_2F

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:43 am

Another thing to add is that last quarter Dr. Lavelle wanted us to have an external camera so that the TAs could see our hands and desk space!

Cooper_Geralds_3B

Postby Cooper_Geralds_3B » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi! The exam format will likely be multiple choice including concepts and calculations depending on the units covered. We will likely have lockdown browser and have to zoom our TAs with an external device such as a phone so that they can monitor our hand movement. You should print out the equation sheet and periodic table before hand and make sure to have plenty of blank paper to do your scratch work on! Listen for any changes in Dr. Lavelle's emails, lectures, and updates on his website!

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 pm

LeanneBagood_2F wrote:Adding on to this, does anyone know/has anyone heard how the Zoom calls will work this quarter since we aren't taking the exams during our discussion?

I think it will be very similar to our final, where we would just select the zoom call that was for our discussion section during the final time.

Postby 305405193 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:00 am

They are usually multiple choice and tend to go by the book more as a resource!

apurva-3E

Postby apurva-3E » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:01 am

Should be formatted in MCQ on CCLE

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”