What posts can you reply to in Chem Community for class points?  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Audrey Banzali-Marks 1A

What posts can you reply to in Chem Community for class points?

Postby Audrey Banzali-Marks 1A » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:07 pm

I checked the "Weekly Online Discussion" page on the Chem 14A website and noticed that it said "Posts must be made under correct Chem 14A or 14B topic (to avoid deleted posts)." Does this mean that any reply to a question in the Chem 14A page of Chemistry Community (aside from the social/admin subtopics) will count for discussion points? Or are there more specific subtopics each week that we need to respond/post to in order to receive credit? Thank you!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: What posts can you reply to in Chem Community for class points?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Audrey Banzali-Marks 3E wrote:I checked the "Weekly Online Discussion" page on the Chem 14A website and noticed that it said "Posts must be made under correct Chem 14A or 14B topic (to avoid deleted posts)." Does this mean that any reply to a question in the Chem 14A page of Chemistry Community (aside from the social/admin subtopics) will count for discussion points?

Yes this is correct. Answers to questions, replies, new questions, discussion, course related comments all count. Each post = 1 pt. Post as much as you want, but maximum 5 pts per week.
Nice!
:-)

Students who get involved do well. I have a plot showing positive correlation between total number of Chemistry Community posts and course grade.
Explaining a concept or showing someone how to solve a problem is the best way to learn.

Nicole Ju 3H

Re: What posts can you reply to in Chem Community for class points?

Postby Nicole Ju 3H » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Should we make posts for week 0? Or does it only start counting for points during week 1?

Sanjana Sivakumar 2E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Sanjana Sivakumar 2E » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Nicole Ju 2C wrote:Should we make posts for week 0? Or does it only start counting for points during week 1?

Hey Nicole!

On the syllabus it says that you can get 50 points with 5 possible points each week. Since this was week 0, I don't think that it should effect that. However, on the weekly online discussion link on the Chemistry website (https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... ussion.pdf) it states that we have a maximum of 50 points. So I think if you start making posts for week 0, then you can get some points. But if you don't start on week 0 it shouldn't hurt you, as long as you start making 5 posts every week starting from week 1. Essentially, posts from week 0 are just bonus point. At least that's what I think! There's a few more details on the link I shared, if you want to look at it.

Hope this helps!

Ivy Nguyen 3I

Postby Ivy Nguyen 3I » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 am

Hi!

I was wondering if it would be okay to post a question from the optional syllabus questions provided and if those would still count for points. A majority of those questions seem to have been posted by previous year students if you simply look up the question; I am concerned that posting it again if I wanted help would result in 0 points earned for all that answered/posted on that specific question if it had been answered in previous years. Should I reply on that previous year's post if I wanted clarification instead? Or should I create a new post for it for this year's students to help with? Thank you!

Christine Lin 1H

Postby Christine Lin 1H » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:03 pm

When you click on a topic to view the posts in that topic, is there a way to filter the posts only made recently?
Do replies only count if they are on recent posts?
If a post is already answered and have the [ENDORSED] tag, will that mean we should comment on that post?

Brandon Yu

Postby Brandon Yu » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Christine Lin 2G wrote:When you click on a topic to view the posts in that topic, is there a way to filter the posts only made recently?
If a post is already answered and have the [ENDORSED] tag, will that mean we should comment on that post?

Yes. Click on "Quick links" on the top right and click "new post" to see the most recent posts that have been made. For the second question, not necessarily. As long as the question hasn't been answered yet, you should be good to go.

Christine Lin 1H

Postby Christine Lin 1H » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:42 pm

Brandon Yu wrote:
Christine Lin 2G wrote:When you click on a topic to view the posts in that topic, is there a way to filter the posts only made recently?

Yes. Click on "Quick links" on the top right and click "new post" to see the most recent posts that have been made. For the second question, not necessarily. As long as the question hasn't been answered yet, you should be good to go.

Hi Brandon. Thank you for answering my questions — I now know how to view the most recent posts (hopefully all of them are specific to 14A)!

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”