Respondus Midterm 1  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abby Citro 2A

Respondus Midterm 1

Postby Abby Citro 2A » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:17 am

I went through and followed all of the steps and downloaded Respondus, but when I log on, it only takes me to Canvas and won't let me access CCLE. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Respondus Midterm 1

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:23 pm

After installing respondus. Close everything and reboot.

Then logon to CCLE and take the pretest.

Vincent Nguyen 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vincent Nguyen 3G » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:11 pm

Make sure that you are opening CCLE in your normal browser, then going to the MIDTERM 1 section, then clicking the test question, and then clicking "Launch Lockdown browser." It should open the quiz using Lockdown. My thing also only allows Canvas PROD and TEST if I launch the Lockdown browser itself.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi All,

I posted the work around above, but we are trying to fix the problem so that it does not occur at all (ever :-).

Please give specific details on this problem as we try track down how to fix it:

Which link did you use to install Respondus?
Was it the link from the "All students must install Respondus which is available here."?
Or the link on the Quiz page "Download LockDown Browser"?

Some other link to download Respondus?

Did the problem (redirect to Canvas) occur while you were in CCLE?

Please give details. Thanks

Lindsay Beckwith 2B

Postby Lindsay Beckwith 2B » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi,

I downloaded respondus but couldn’t get it to open via ccle. When opening it from my desktop directly it did not register the class I was in. I haven’t solved this problem yet and therefore haven’t gotten to do the practice exam question.

I tried enabling pop ups and that didn’t work either. Essentially I cannot open respondus from ccle. When I open it from my desktop, it does prompt me to log in to canvas.

Can anyone help?

MiaRosati3L

Postby MiaRosati3L » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 pm

I had a completely different issue with Respondus earlier that also prevented me from opening the practice question through CCLE. For me, Respondus displayed a message that said I needed to uninstall a Google Chrome extension called Screencastify, which I had never installed in the first place, by the way.

I ended up visiting the student tech center in Covel Commons, and after troubleshooting for at least half an hour and trying different things (opening Respondus through Safari, clearing my cache, changing my Chrome settings, logging out of old Gmail accounts, etc.) we concluded that the problem could be resolved by deleting and reinstalling Google Chrome so that it would be the most up to date version. Not sure why this worked, but I'm glad it did.

I hope this information helps someone if they encounter the same problem I did!

Postby 205678283 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:34 pm

When I try to download the lockdown browser, it gives me this error. I am on the UCLA_WEB wifi, I have tried to do it on chrome and safari, and I am using a Mac. I do not know what I am doing wrong!!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.30.39 PM.png

Kimberly_martinez2I

Postby Kimberly_martinez2I » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 pm

It was doing that for me also. But I deleted and downloaded the lockdown browser again. Then I logged into CCLE on chrome and when you click on the midterm question it should say launch browser which directly opens the app and you sin into CCLE that way.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.34.42 PM.png

Chem_Mod

Re: Respondus Midterm 1  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:28 am

First install Respondus.

But make sure Respondus is closed when you logon to CCLE in your normal browser, then proceed to MIDTERM 1 to complete the question to test Respondus.

If you have problems ask students or go to any TA office hour or UA drop in session.

Violet Mbela 2B

Postby Violet Mbela 2B » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:52 am

Hi,
When I open the lockdown browser it asks me for canvas PROD or canvas TEST. Which one do I choose, or is this an error?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:04 pm

Violet Mbela 1B wrote:Hi,
When I open the lockdown browser it asks me for canvas PROD or canvas TEST. Which one do I choose, or is this an error?

Students do not need to open lockdown browser outside of CCLE.
Instead do the following:

1. logon to CCLE in your normal browser
2. go to MIDTERM 1 folder in CCLE
3. then click "Question to test Respondus"
4. then click "Launch Lockdown browser"

In Chem 14A and 14B students will only launch/open Respondus in CCLE.

If students have an IT problem that other students, TAs, UAs cannot assist/solve then:

1. Try a different browser.

2. For CCLE issues, use the CCLE "Need Help?" button in CCLE.

3. For IT assistance students can also submit tickets through the IT Services Contact page: https://ucla.service-now.com/support?id=its_get_help

Lindsay Beckwith 2B

Postby Lindsay Beckwith 2B » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi again,

I have followed all the troubleshooting advice on this post and nothing has seemed to work. I am able to download the Respondus browser, but the "launch browser" button on CCLE won't work to open the question in the browser.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Josephine B 3L

Postby Josephine B 3L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi!

My computer broke yesterday and is being repaired at the UCLA repair center. For now though, I have to use a library Chromebook because the library Macbooks are out of order. The Chromebook doesn't allow the lockdown browser extension.

Is there somebody I should contact about this? I don't really know who else to ask. Will I be prevented from taking the test if I can't get another laptop in time?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Request a laptop at: https://www.library.ucla.edu/covid-19-r ... es#laptops

See link/file at my class website: Equipment Request
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... equest.pdf

Ask a friend, family member, student in our class to borrow their laptop for 1 hr.

Some students have two laptops. Maybe someone can loan you one for 1 hr.

Reza Hemmati 3L

Postby Reza Hemmati 3L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 pm

MiaRosati3L wrote:I had a completely different issue with Respondus earlier that also prevented me from opening the practice question through CCLE. For me, Respondus displayed a message that said I needed to uninstall a Google Chrome extension called Screencastify, which I had never installed in the first place, by the way.

I ended up visiting the student tech center in Covel Commons, and after troubleshooting for at least half an hour and trying different things (opening Respondus through Safari, clearing my cache, changing my Chrome settings, logging out of old Gmail accounts, etc.) we concluded that the problem could be resolved by deleting and reinstalling Google Chrome so that it would be the most up to date version. Not sure why this worked, but I'm glad it did.

I have this exact same issue, thank you for posting! ^^

Update: I tried deleting and reinstalling Chrome but it didn't work, I'll try deleting cookies and browsing data too.
Update: The issue was resolved by deleting other Chrome profiles.
Last edited by Reza Hemmati 3L on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Reza Hemmati 1E wrote:
MiaRosati3L wrote:I had a completely different issue with Respondus earlier that also prevented me from opening the practice question through CCLE. For me, Respondus displayed a message that said I needed to uninstall a Google Chrome extension called Screencastify, which I had never installed in the first place, by the way.

Update: I tried deleting and reinstalling Chrome but it didn't work, I'll try deleting cookies and browsing data too.

Uninstall Chrome. Reboot. Use a different browser. Let us know if that worked.

Reza Hemmati 3L

Postby Reza Hemmati 3L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:
Reza Hemmati 1E wrote:

I tried everything there, but what eventually worked was deleting my other chrome profiles. Thank you for reaching out!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 pm

Reza Hemmati 1E wrote:
Chem_Mod wrote:
Reza Hemmati 1E wrote:

I tried everything there, but what eventually worked was deleting my other chrome profiles. Thank you for reaching out!

Great it worked. Well done.

Cecilia Lei 3K

Postby Cecilia Lei 3K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:30 pm

You have to close CCLE before using it.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Josephine Borsetto 2A wrote:Hi!

My computer broke yesterday and is being repaired at the UCLA repair center. For now though, I have to use a library Chromebook because the library Macbooks are out of order. The Chromebook doesn't allow the lockdown browser extension.

Is there somebody I should contact about this? I don't really know who else to ask. Will I be prevented from taking the test if I can't get another laptop in time?

See my previous response (etc. Ask a friend, family member, student in our class to borrow their laptop for 1 hr. Some students have two laptops. Maybe someone can loan you one for 1 hr.)

Do you have a laptop for Friday 1-2pm?

Allison Peng 1D

Postby Allison Peng 1D » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 pm

Eduroam and respondus related question:

I’ve been able to successfully get respondus to work, however on eduroam (campus wifi) sometimes the internet suddenly disconnects. This has happened once when respondus was open, and there was no way to reconnect to the internet without closing the lockdown browser. I just wanted to ask what to do in case this happens during the exam.

Esmeralda_Solis_2D

Postby Esmeralda_Solis_2D » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Make sure you do not open respondus first. Respondus will open automatically when you click on the link on CCLE.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:18 am

Allison Peng 1F wrote:Eduroam and respondus related question:

I’ve been able to successfully get respondus to work, however on eduroam (campus wifi) sometimes the internet suddenly disconnects. This has happened once when respondus was open, and there was no way to reconnect to the internet without closing the lockdown browser. I just wanted to ask what to do in case this happens during the exam.

The large lecture halls are well equipped for WiFi and eduroam should be excellent in those rooms.

If your WiFi disconnects: Close your lockdown browser, reconnect to WiFi (eduroam), and go back to your midterm to complete unanswered questions.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”