Tips for Staying Focused

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jesalynne 2F

Tips for Staying Focused

Postby Jesalynne 2F » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm

Hey guys, I've been finding it really hard to focus with everything that has been going on. Does anyone have tips on how to stay focused? I've been trying to study and it has been hard with all the updates for next quarter and the stress from that. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Kishan Shah 2G

Re: Tips for Staying Focused

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah same with me. I am usually really focused before finals week but there is a lot going on in terms of panic and new news. I try and get through some work but it seems like there are constant distractions every few minutes.

JosephineF

Postby JosephineF » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm

I've been putting my phone on do not disturb and setting a timer for an hour at a time and so for that I hour I sit and study and then when the timer goes off I give myself a 10 minute break and then I restart the timer for another hour. You just have to get into a groove. The hardest part is starting but then once your "in it" I find it's easier to keep going

Omar Selim 1D

Postby Omar Selim 1D » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:37 pm

People can stay focused in different ways. I like to drink coffee or tea while i study because it keeps me awake and alert

Amanda Mei 1B

Postby Amanda Mei 1B » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:42 pm

I've also been finding it hard to sit down and study, but I know it's important to get into a good habit since next quarter will be like this. I think finding a quiet spot would be super helpful in being able to just sit down and grind for a bit. Definitely setting a routine time to get up and study a certain subject each day would be ideal, just to get some sense of structure into the day.

Patricia Cardenas

Postby Patricia Cardenas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:45 pm

I would say to set aside a time limit, turn off your phone or any other distractions around you, and study for a set period of time. Then reward yourself with a short break, and continue! Wishing everyone the best of luck.

AGaeta_2C

Postby AGaeta_2C » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:43 am

I always try to not study on an empty stomach since that lack of energy won’t do me any good. I’m just trying to establish a study routine for these next few months, but I find that completely shutting off social media and other distractions helps!

Philip

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am

To stay focus I usually take a couple of breaths and try my best to only think about the task at hand and ignore my surroundings

Anuradha S 1F

Postby Anuradha S 1F » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm

I've found that when I'm in a space where other people are also working, like the library or a coffee shop, I can stay focused for longer periods. Sometimes...peer pressure is good..

Also, NEVER STUDY ON YOUR BED OR IN YOUR BEDROOM IN GENERAL!

Kiara Phillips 3L

Postby Kiara Phillips 3L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:53 am

I suggest studying in intervals of 25 minutes and taking a 5 minute break before returning. This prevents burnout and gives you time to recenter yourself!

Sukhkiran Kaur 3I

Postby Sukhkiran Kaur 3I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Hey, I struggle with the same thing but something that helped me while studying for the midterm was creating a playlist of songs that I love and putting in my headphones. I didn't need to touch my phone to shuffle through the playlist either because I only chose songs I would listen to. Also, I took breaks after ~45 minutes.

America Alvarado
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby America Alvarado » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 pm

This may sound weird, but it really helps me. To stay focused I talk to myself about whatever I'm studying. If I write something down I also say it out loud like if I were explaining it to someone.

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:22 pm

I also struggle with staying focused on homework and assignments or even in class having online instruction. I have found what helps is to remove any distractions, such as my phone, and place them out of reach so I will not be inclined to stop what I am doing. Also, I find that setting a schedule for myself to complete assignments or homework and spacing out time for breaks has helped a lot to keep me on track. Hope this helps :)

Daria Obukhova 2B

Postby Daria Obukhova 2B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:23 pm

I always try to find a new environment to study in even if it's just moving from my desk to the dining table because after a while I start to feel unproductive at a certain place. Also sometimes you just have to stick ear plugs in to minimize sound distraction. I find that that helps me.

Will Skinner

Postby Will Skinner » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:24 pm

I always try to set aside time to go on walks whenever I am busy. Exercise in general helps me keep my mind clear.

Osiris De LeonR 1g

Postby Osiris De LeonR 1g » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:59 pm

One great tip is to set aside all distractions you may encounter. For example your phone or turn of the tv. Some people find it helpful to play music as it helps them focus easier. Try to take notes or write down some stuff you learned from the lecture.

Tatyana Bonnet 2H

Postby Tatyana Bonnet 2H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:07 pm

A good tip is to reward yourself with something after doing any amount of work you feel you can accomplish and are actually motivated to do in a certain time period. After you are done you can watch an episode of your favorite show, or what I like to do is play among us to de-stress :)

Postby 805377003 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:52 pm

I put headphones on that are noise canceling and this helps a lot.

jasonfarrales3D

Postby jasonfarrales3D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:56 pm

Honestly, staying focused is really easier said than done, especially during these times of uncertainty. What helps me stay focused is to first put my phone in a place where I cannot easily access it, so I do not get distracted by notifications or any other news. Furthermore, I like to play some instrumental music in the background, I would play regular music, but the lyrics to those songs sometimes interfere with my train of thought while I read or write something. Lastly, if any of these do not work, I usually chug down a big glass of water. I do not know why, but 9/10 times it always helps me stay focus and on alert while I do my assignments/study. I hope these help!

Molly_Peterson_2F

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:18 pm

I have been putting my phone in a different room so that it's not easily accessible for me and turning off the notifications on my laptop. I also really like listening to instrumental music in the background while studying. It really motivates me for some reason.

Postby 105405231 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Personally I am still adjusting to online school, but like a previous post stated muting my notifications on my laptop has helped me focus more. Also, I put my earphones in while listening to lectures instead of playing them out loud to help me feel like I am actually in class.

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Personally, my biggest obstacle regarding focus with all online school in general is the lack of structure compared to in person classes and lectures. I had a lot of trouble with this at first especially with the asynchronous lectures such as in this class. I have since solved this by giving myself certain times of day to do each thing I need to do and I don't let myself do other non-school stuff unless I have finished my school stuff. This has also made me less stressed in general since I have a schedule to stick to.

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:47 pm

I have been struggling with the same thing so this thread is really helpful! Thank you :)

Sukhkiran Kaur 3I

Postby Sukhkiran Kaur 3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:36 pm

I like to create a set schedule and follow it closely. Surprisingly, what keeps me most focused is taking breaks more often!

jia207

Postby jia207 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:07 pm

One thing I do that may sound strange is I take a time laps of myself while I am studying. That way I can't go on my phone and I have something cool to watch when I am done studying and it motivates me to go longer.

Jade_Tai_2L

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm

I’m so bad with distractions, so I started turning off all my notifications/turning my phone on DND. Also, studying for an hour then taking a ten minute break also helps really well instead of completely cramming.

Lily Anne Garcia 1C

Postby Lily Anne Garcia 1C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:14 pm

i set aside my phone and anything that would potentially distract me. Then i let myself work for a certain amount of time and give myself a little break afterwards. that way it is more manageable.

Brandon Pham 1H

Postby Brandon Pham 1H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:21 pm

From Google, "Adderall is a useful therapeutic for people with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or narcolepsy, but it is also used illegally, without a prescription as a “study drug” by students—and, increasingly, young professionals—looking for an edge that will help them stay awake longer and get more done."

jasmineculilap_3F

Postby jasmineculilap_3F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:22 pm

Don't forget to take breaks, so you don't get tired. Also, try not to be in a distracting environment (I avoid the living room bc the TV is on). I tend to study at night since that is when I feel the most focused personally. Taking notes and having a set goal for what I want to have studied also helps. Depending on what helps, play music or stay in a quiet area.

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi!
I definitely understand. It's seriously so hard for me to stay focused, but I think what helps me most is keeping a very detailed bullet journal, which I use as my planner. I have a calendar where I list important dates and a day to day spread that allows me to block out certain hours of my day for certain tasks and to write a checklist of the things I need to get done. At the very least, this keeps me on track and focused on my deadlines, but I know it's still hard with everything happening. Best of luck, remember to take care of yourself!

vanessanguyen3I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby vanessanguyen3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm

I definitely feel this way too. It's really easy for me to fall behind on lectures because they're asynchronous. I found that the best thing for is to PLAN a lot ahead with ample time to get everything done. That way, if I fall behind one day because I am not motivated, I know that I still have time to catch up. Knowing that I haven't waited until the last minute also helps me so much with stress.

Mackenzie Van Val 3E

Postby Mackenzie Van Val 3E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:01 pm

One of the few focusing tips that I have is to drink lots of water as you're studying. A lot of times when we are feeling sleepy or cloudy-headed, it is because we are dehydrated, so drinking water can help you wake up/stay alert! Plus, getting up to go to the bathroom after you drink a ton of water is a built-in study break.

Callan Howard

Postby Callan Howard » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:14 pm

If you have an iPhone there is a do not disturb function that silences all your notifications/incoming calls/texts and whatnot. It can be really helpful for creating a distraction free environment while studying, even if you still use your phone to do the studying.

Karen Elrayes 1L

Postby Karen Elrayes 1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:18 pm

I honestly feel like it's best to write down everything you need to do for the week for all your classes and things you need to do outside of school. Writing them down makes you feel less overwhelmed and more motivated to finished one thing at a time. It helps focus your mind

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 pm

I feel as though my phone tends to be my biggest distraction so putting that away would be beneficial.

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:21 pm

I honestly struggle with this so much so I don't even know if I'm qualified to answer, but my best tips would be to listen to instrumental music (dont listen to music with voices and lyrics, very distracting), have snacks and water on hand, take breaks, and be in a not too cold or not too hot environment.

Ariana Flores 3F

Postby Ariana Flores 3F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Aw this is such a nice thread!

Honestly, I'm a tutor so I have spent a lot of time looking in how to learn. There are so many resources on Youtube and many blogs you can find with a Google search. MedSchoolInsiders on YouTube has great study tips. I'm not a pre-med but I was considering it and I always try to look at medical school study tips bc it is generally the most rigorous undergraduate path in terms of gpa and extra-curricular average admission statistics for medial school compared to law school or business school or no post-graduate school obviously.

Biggest thing, getting started is always the hardest part and in reality, there are many times where you "don't feel like it" but there are two types of people in the world, the one's who wait to do what they need to until they feel like it versus the people who do what they don't feel like in order to feel better and build towards something greater at the end of the day.

Audiobooks also are life changing. Michelle and Barrack Obama's books, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fu*** by Mark Manson, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho are all amazing reads and with audio books, you can choose the speed you listen to each book at when your driving, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. Always making learning fun helps I think and having role models from all different walks of life.

Best wishes

Algernon Jackson 2l

Postby Algernon Jackson 2l » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:30 pm

I lock my phone up while doing chemisty, it helps me remain focused.

Ryan Agcaoili 2E

Postby Ryan Agcaoili 2E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:46 pm

In order to stay focused, I like to take things one step at a time so that I do not get overwhelmed with classes. It is also important to do your favorite hobbies so that you can destress.

Karen Elrayes 1L

Postby Karen Elrayes 1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:48 pm

Try to plan one day where you don't do anything school-related so you feel refreshed and ready to work throughout the week

Izamary Marquez 2H

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:48 pm

It really helps to study/work in a space where I will not get distracted. Going outside and away from distractions at home truly helps! Also, there are several study playlists on Spotify :) I find instrumental music really helps me stay focused!

AdilaAhmed3I

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Before COVID, I would usually go to a coffee shop or something similar to study but with COVID, I've had to adjust that. I usually do my work at night because no one's awake so it's quiet and no one comes into my room. I will study for a certain amount of time or do a certain amount of homework and then take a break and watch like an episode of a show or something on youtube so I'm not overwhelming myself. If you know you are going to fall down a YouTube hole, maybe don't do this but having some sort of reward system is nice for me. I always listen to music unless I'm watching the lectures.

RaniyaFeroz_1E

Postby RaniyaFeroz_1E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:04 pm

I put my phone completely out of sight, and sometimes out of my room so I won't have the tendency to look at it. Sometimes, I listen to music on my laptop which helps me stay focused.

Mina Tadros 3L

Postby Mina Tadros 3L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:09 pm

I usually make a plan for the day that I follow. For example, I have to study for chem from time X to time Y, and only after I completed this schedule, will I take a break. I also like to put my phone away, so I don't get distracted if I get a call or a text.

Victoria_Sauceda_1B

Postby Victoria_Sauceda_1B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:21 pm

I’ve been using Quizlet to help me study. Also watching videos and reading the textbook aloud has really helped me grasp the more complicated topics

Day Preciado 1H

Postby Day Preciado 1H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:22 pm

I put time in my schedule for being lazy. I make sure to take as many distractions away from my study space.

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:16 pm

To stay focused, I try to make and follow a schedule that enables me to get work done early in the day, so that by the end I have time to relax.

Shivani Kapur 2J

Postby Shivani Kapur 2J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:19 pm

To be most efficient in my studying, I usually put on some music (not super intense) and let it play while I study. Sometimes an hour of studying will go by and I won't even notice. Also, I'd recommend to not study on your bed.

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 pm

To stay focused, I usually study in a room that doesn't have my phone by my side. Even if I turn it off, if I am in the same room as my phone, I can just grab it and turn it back on and get distracted! I also study in a quiet environment and make sure that I do not have clutter in my surroundings!

Postby 705512695 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Turning off my phone is a must in order to stay focus and I usually just play some background music while studying. It really helps.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Have you tried Adderall

Valerie Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:11 pm

Don't work for more than an hour without a break, you'll get less productive and the quality of your work will lower. I used to be able to just crank out my homework in like a 3-4 hour period but I've found I'm more productive if I give myself breaks every hour or so. Set a schedule and try to stick to it. If you work in a place that isn't your room. For me, I've found my room makes it to easy to lose focus since my bed is right there and I always want to sleep

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 pm

I like listening to calming music when studying, especially Lo-Fi. I have heard the opposite for some people (listen to intense music or no music at all). I know the final is in 2 days but it would be helpful to find what works for you.

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:48 am

Staying organized helps me to stay focused. Plan out what material you are going to work on and/or study beforehand. It can also help to set a time you are going to work to help keep yourself accountable.

Postby 205769933 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:22 am

I like to plan out my day beforehand so I have some kind of outline to follow throughout my day! It's totally ok to not be focused sometimes, but placing your devices in a different space will definitely help as well.

Iman Gauhar 3E

Postby Iman Gauhar 3E » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:39 am

Hi! Personally, I just like going to a quiet place (especially the blue room) by myself. I turn off my phone and make sure that I have no distractions. Coffee also really helps!!

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 pm

My best tips would be caffeine, classical music, turning your notifications OFF, and giving yourself a reward to look forward to when you finish!

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Also, sometimes exercising beforehand clears my mind and makes it easier to study.

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:54 pm

Also- I would say to try and not study in your room. It can get distracting to have roommates and friends coming in and out! The Powell Library puts me in a good studying mood because everyone else there is so focused.

mmcqueen

Postby mmcqueen » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:05 pm

I try to pick a new nook on campus to study so that I have a change of scenery and get away from my room for a bit. I use my noise cancelling headphones as well.

Isabella Perez Dis3L

Postby Isabella Perez Dis3L » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Hey! I find it difficult as well to actually stay focused so I would suggest finding an area with the least distractions such as the library to put your full attention to studying/ your work. I also suggest putting your phone on dnd and listening to study music :)

Arpita Padhy 3E

Postby Arpita Padhy 3E » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:44 pm

The biggest tip would be to go somewhere that isn't a place where you normally relax. For example, it's a lot harder for me to study in my dorm since my body automatically wants to go into relaxation mode when I should be focusing.

Hannah Kim 3C

Postby Hannah Kim 3C » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:59 am

Keeping a planner with me and writing a to-do list is very helpful in terms of being able to complete tasks and study accordingly. As for staying focused and not being distracted, I feel like meditation and constantly repeating phrases that motivate yourself will help. At least, this is what helped me stay on top of track!

Isha Tripathi 2F

Postby Isha Tripathi 2F » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:09 pm

Kip a list of the things you want to focus on any set timers on your phones for breaks!

JohnathanH_1H

Postby JohnathanH_1H » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:18 pm

This may not work for everyone but usually when I have a hard time focusing, I put in headphones and either drink coffee or an energy drink and it usually helps me focus on what tasks I have at hand.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”