Strategies for studying for the final

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Colette Ussery 3L

Strategies for studying for the final

Postby Colette Ussery 3L » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:56 pm

My strategies for studying for the final are to create a conceptual study guide from the course reader, and to do the practice finals and work to understand each question and step. Anyone want to share how they are studying?

Ara Yazaryan 1E

Re: Strategies for studying for the final

Postby Ara Yazaryan 1E » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 pm

That conceptual study guide sounds like a good idea! I may try that

Sharlene Reyes 2N

Postby Sharlene Reyes 2N » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm skimming through each section for the equations/diagrams/graphs/tables, writing/drawing them out and making sure I understand how to use them. Then going over my quizzes/midterms and seeing if I could still do those problems. Whatever I don't remember, I'll go back and look at the question more clearly. Then doing practice problems.

Esther_Choe_1K

Postby Esther_Choe_1K » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm writing a summary sheet of equations, esp for themodynamics and thermoschemistry, and important details associated with the main concepts as I go through the homework problems. I also try to recall as much information I've learned for each topic and what methods I will use for certain problems. This method of summarizing what I know, and practicing what I don't know, helps me predict possible types of questions. Good luck all with studying!! :) It helps if you treat each problem like a puzzle. Identify what you're given and what you are asked to find, and try to connect what equation of method will get you the answer! Youtube videos also help it you need a quick recap of specific concepts.

MariaReina_Garcia_3E

Postby MariaReina_Garcia_3E » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm doing the practice finals and the midterms (again) and returning back to the topics/ questions that I had a hard time with. I just re-do the homework questions for that specific topic until I know how to do it well.

Divya Kumar 3I

Postby Divya Kumar 3I » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:31 am

I use a similar method (continuing to do past finals and midterms). I find that the only way for chemistry to really stick in my brain is for me to continuously do problems until I can solve them completely on my own.

Randon_Zahlout_3B

Postby Randon_Zahlout_3B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Anyone have any great online resources for Thermodynamics studying? That's where I am most rusty!

Kristine_Espinosa_2L

Postby Kristine_Espinosa_2L » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:34 am

Make use of the textbook examples! I used the problems to guide me step by step in doing the problems and worked them until I understood each step. If you have time, read the appropriate sections for each topic and then look at the course reader to summarize what you just read. Reading the topics is what has honestly helped me most in understanding the topics.

Claudia_Danysh_2B

Postby Claudia_Danysh_2B » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Something that always helps me if making a short of summarized sheet of different concepts we go over. When I'm looking through my notes, I write down the main concepts or concepts within different things we've learned and then also have a section just with formula sheets. This always helps me because it helps with a quick review right before the midterms and then I feel like I have an overview of everything that I can skim over!

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:48 pm

I have found it helpful to write out a condensed version of my notes a few days before the test in order to get an overview of the material and solidify in my mind how each concept relates to the next. I then rewrite the most difficult parts again and again until I understand all of it. Doing practice problems and old tests are also really helpful.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”