Final Jitters

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Marina Gollas 1A

Final Jitters

Postby Marina Gollas 1A » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Does anyone know how to calm down your anxieties before you take this final? Since having test anxiety can be very distracting while you're trying to study or even while you're taking the test itself. Open to any tips:)

whitney_2C

Re: Final Jitters

Postby whitney_2C » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:30 pm

I also have test anxiety, it's not fun. Usually just forcing myself to do lots of practice problems and having a routine (eating breakfast, sitting in the front, having a certain pen/calculator, etc whatever works for you) helps give me some comfort so I can relax some at least. Good luck and know you're not alone

Rehan Chinoy 1K

Postby Rehan Chinoy 1K » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Don't study ten minutes before the final because psychologically you're telling yourself that you don't know the material well enough. Be prepared and be confident in your preparation. Some deep breaths before you enter the exam room helps too.

He whose name cannot be spoken

Postby He whose name cannot be spoken » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm

On the day of the final don't study. Take some time (not much, I imagine, since it's in the morning) to just relax. Don't think about chem until it's in front of you.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 367 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm

These are some great tips!

Some things I would add:

1) If you ever run into a question you have no idea how to tackle, think about the concept it's trying to test. Try to note anything that you remember about that concept. Usually that tells yourself that you do know something. It just may take some time for you to figure out what to do.
2) If you ever feel the jitters, take a break for a couple minutes and do something you absolutely love, like listening to your favorite song. If during the test, skip the question, and come back to it later. Whenever I take exams and I'm not sure what the answer is to a question, I put down my best guess, mark it, and move on.
3) Meditation is great. It helps calm the nerves and reminds the self that we are all human, and no matter what happens, we will still survive and live on. Although exams are important, if we look back 10-20 years later, I doubt we will remember these exams and the dread that came with them.
4) Call your friends or family members before the exam. Tell them you're nervous, and hopefully, they will provide you some reassuring words/boost your confidence.
5) More academic related things...practice does make perfect. And, just as Whitney mentioned, having a routine does help with the nerves, as you get used to tackling chemistry concepts in a structured manner.

Good luck, all!

Cienna Henry 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Cienna Henry 1J » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Something as simple as focusing on each breath slowly going in and out works wonders

Henry Dudley 1G

Postby Henry Dudley 1G » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:31 pm

One tip I have is to not talk about the material and what you do and don't know right before the test. You're not going to learn anything in just five minutes but you can psych yourself out.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”