Midterm Studying

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ashwathinair

Midterm Studying

Postby ashwathinair » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Hey everyone! I was wondering how to best approach studying for the upcoming midterm? I feel like there is so much to remember and understand how to use and I'm not very confident in the studying I'm doing (redoing all the homework questions) because it just feels like a lot of busy work and I don't really feel like I am understanding the material (I forget the equations pretty easily) the way I need to to do the midterm. Anybody have tips?

Jaklin Astvatsatryan

Re: Midterm Studying

Postby Jaklin Astvatsatryan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:18 pm

I would recommend you watch videos that go over the concepts that will be covered on the midterm. Once you have a better grasp on the topics, it'll be easier to apply them and you'll know which equations to use. Also, if you have the Sapling, I recommend you do the problems because they're questions you haven't done and if you get stuck, it shows you step by step how to solve the problem.

Catherine Daye 1L

Postby Catherine Daye 1L » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 pm

One thing you could do is look at the individual topic files he posts on his website. There’s a list of things you should know for each section and I use it like a checklist :)

Julie_Reyes1B

Postby Julie_Reyes1B » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm

I like to do problems from the end of the chapter as well as doing the especially difficult/confusing ones on the Sapling modules. Beyond that, I think it really helps to base your studying around the bullet points on each chapter outline. Sometimes they include things like "know these specific biological examples" which I may not have studied otherwise.

KSong_1J

Postby KSong_1J » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm

Definitely go over all of Lavelle’s learning outcomes on his website! It might also be helpful to create a list of all the equations that tells you under what conditions to use them/in what type of problems. Also, at the end of each section right before the problems there’s a section that says “the skills you have mastered are the ability to” and I find it helpful to go over those and make sure I know how to do them.

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am

Going to the 3 hour review session held by Lyndon and other UA's really help me to review all the concepts because they not only do the problem, but also review formulas, techniques, and strategies that may be helpful on the test. Reading the textbook and doing the problems may seem like a lot, but they definitely help a lot.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”