Thoughts on Switching Majors?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sandra Kim 2B

Thoughts on Switching Majors?

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:11 pm

the quarter's about to end and i was wondering if anyone is going to/thinking about switching majors! honestly, it's only been one quarter yet i'm realizing more and more that maybe choosing a stem major to please my parents wasn't that great of an idea... and i know switching majors is pretty common so what other majors are you all interested in or why do you like your major so much to stick with it?

Chloe Little 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Thoughts on Switching Majors?

Postby Chloe Little 3K » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm a biology major and honestly the main reason I chose it is because the requirements for my major line up with the requirements for medical school and I don't really have a strong passion for any other subject. But I think you should major in whatever interests you or whatever you're passionate about.

Aliya 1H

Postby Aliya 1H » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Honestly, choose whatever major you want! You're going to UCLA you're already AMAZING AND SMART and nobody can contest that. Pick whatever you want to do, not what others want you to do, and find your path to achieve that!

Courtney Situ 2B

Postby Courtney Situ 2B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi!

I guess my first thought would be what fields am I interested in + am I interested in the point of majoring/double majoring or minoring (though I think you could also just minor first and then switch to majoring if the requirements for major/minor aren't that off).
Personally, I love biology and chemistry (I'm a bio major), and I hope to become a doctor one day. Regardless, I know that UCLA has a very diverse curriculum, and I'm definitely interested in pursuing other passions (for now, to the point of a minor). One way I've done this is by looking into the many MANY minors that UCLA offers, like Cognitive Science, ADP, and Anthropology + taking some classes. Especially cause the worst thing that could happen is I fill a G.E. requirement.
Long story short, consider what fields you're interested in and ask if you want to go keep/switch majors or keep the major you have and minor in the other fields. Then, as you're taking classes to do the minor + you feel that you're definitely more interested in this field, you can go ahead and switch majors! Alternatively, just try out a class in the field you're interested in and take it from there.

I don't think that future/career is super relevant. Like yes, some degrees might be preferred for a specific job, but honestly I've learned that jobs consider a variety of degrees unless it's a super specific profession. So go for something you're passionate about (especially because you'll most likely 99.99999% end up with a job you're passionate about too this way). If you do want to consider careers when deciding if you want to switch, I feel like you can reach out to people in most professions or research online to get a good idea if that's what you're looking for

I honestly don't really know the technical parts about switching majors (like is it hard to get a switch), but I think you already said it's relatively easy?? Maybe someone could add more details idk but I feel like it wouldn't be super hard to

Good luck :))

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 am

Hi there!

It's only been a quarter, but there's honestly no problem with switching your major at anytime (as long as you have enough time to finish your lower divisions and upper divisions). Just make sure to pursue something that aligns with your interests and that you are healthy and taking care of yourself along the way. :) Remember that there's a lot of options and that you could also double major or do a minor, as well as a variety of interdisciplinary majors!

My major is Computational and Systems Biology, and I chose it because I am currently a bit indecisive. I love studying biology, which is something I definitely want to keep up with and pursue a career relating to such in the future, but I am still not sure on what path. Biotechnology and bioinformatics have been a large interest to me, but I have always wanted to become a doctor (specifically, a pediatrician). My major aligns well with all of the pre-med requirements, while still learning about bio technology! It also means I give myself some time to think about my path as well.

You got this! What majors are you looking into?

Simer_Shera_2D

Postby Simer_Shera_2D » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 am

Hello!
I just wanted to drop in and say that although I haven't considered changing my major, I have been using GEs and extra classes as an opportunity to explore other subjects that might interest me. If I find something I love, I might consider minoring in it or even switching my major if it's not too late in the game.

LeahSWM 2E

Postby LeahSWM 2E » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:59 am

I definitely have been thinking of changing my major. I am currently a Gender Studies major, but I'm also pre-med. For me, I enjoy Gender studies so much and my plan was to be original for medical school and stray away from a common science major, but I am afraid that it is not a workable major for after college in case my plans change for med school. So I've been considering switching it to a minor and just majoring in Physiological Science. From the pre-med classes I've taken, I have enjoyed the classes within that field. I am still weighing my options though. Good luck with your path and just know that this is your education and you should do what makes you the happieest!

AustinMcBrideDis3L

Postby AustinMcBrideDis3L » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:35 am

I actually have decided I will be switching majors after knowing a bit more about my major this quarter. Currently I am a biology major however, I was looking at the upper division classes that I would need to take and I do not think I would be particularly interested in those so I'm thinking of switching to Physiological Sciences.

Sandra Kim 2B

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Michelle Nguyen 2C wrote:Hi there!

It's only been a quarter, but there's honestly no problem with switching your major at anytime (as long as you have enough time to finish your lower divisions and upper divisions). Just make sure to pursue something that aligns with your interests and that you are healthy and taking care of yourself along the way. :) Remember that there's a lot of options and that you could also double major or do a minor, as well as a variety of interdisciplinary majors!

My major is Computational and Systems Biology, and I chose it because I am currently a bit indecisive. I love studying biology, which is something I definitely want to keep up with and pursue a career relating to such in the future, but I am still not sure on what path. Biotechnology and bioinformatics have been a large interest to me, but I have always wanted to become a doctor (specifically, a pediatrician). My major aligns well with all of the pre-med requirements, while still learning about bio technology! It also means I give myself some time to think about my path as well.

You got this! What majors are you looking into?

haha i didn't expect to get asked a question but hi! despite currently being a physiological science major, i'm really passionate about art so i think i'm gonna try taking an art ge here first before settling on switching or something. not gonna lie, i'm quite interested in the upper-div classes for my current major so i might just push through the suffering of stem pre-reqs lol i'm glad to hear that you're in a major that is quite flexible for you while it's something you're passionate about!! i wish you the best of luck :))

Yichen Fan 3A

Postby Yichen Fan 3A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:18 pm

A tip if you are thinking about switching into a different life science major. I am currently in biology major and my department counselor strongly suggested me to think about changing major after taking LS7ABC. LS7 series was basically an intro class to biology which corresponds to different topics, LS7A:cell&molecules; LS7B:genetics&ecology; LS7C:physiology. If you are thinking about switch to another life science major you can compare how you like each LS7 classes and which topic you feel most interested about. The lower division classes are all the same for life science majors so you don't need to rush yourself into another major.

AliAsh 1H

Postby AliAsh 1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Hey, I just wanted to say that no matter what you decide to do, remember that UCLA doesn't require you to declare a major up until the end of your sophomore year I think. So don't feel pressured to pick a major right now, and try to take diverse classes just to find what you are interested and passionate about until then. Wish you all the best!

SophiaBarden 2E

Postby SophiaBarden 2E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Just a reminder for freshman as well, the first two years of a bio major are meant to "weed out" people. But don't let that get to you, especially if you have not finished the LS7 series!!!! It is definitely difficult and meant to basically introduce you to every possible biology concept under the sun, but once you reach upper div courses and have a chance to explore with GE classes and Fiat Luxes, then it will be much much more rewarding and engaging. Not to mention how disheartening a STEM major can be when its online rather than in class/lab exploring the concepts. Stay strong everyone:))))

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm

I originally came in as a Labor Studies major because that's what I put on my application, but I tried to change to Marine Biology at New Student Orientation. Unfortunately the change doesn't seem to have gone through :/

SophiaJenny3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby SophiaJenny3I » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi!
Definitely choose something you're passionate about. This will help motivate you in the future and make you love what you do! Think about what makes you happy. Do you love to write? Ask inquisitive questions and interview people? Analyze movies and TV shows? Play an instrument? Is there a particular charity you liked volunteering at in high school/now? Really take some time to self-reflect. Also! UCLA is such an amazing place for so many reasons, but a main one is how diverse the opportunities are. Take some classes for fun, join some clubs that focus on various fields, etc. Take this time to explore and have fun! Don't stress too much about your career path, you don't have to have everything figured out right now :). Good luck!!!

Sandra Kim 2B

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:37 pm

Cooper Kinne 3E wrote:I originally came in as a Labor Studies major because that's what I put on my application, but I tried to change to Marine Biology at New Student Orientation. Unfortunately the change doesn't seem to have gone through :/

Oh nooo do you know why it didn't go through? I'm a bit worried that my (potential) future switch might not go through either but I don't really know the factors that decide that. hope it does go through for you soon tho!

AJForte-2C

Postby AJForte-2C » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:45 pm

you should try taking different classes/GEs in areas of study that you might be interested in. I think the more you try different things, the more you'll get an idea for what you want to do.

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:31 am

I have also been considering switching my major, although I am not 100% sure what it is I want to do yet so I have been trying to take a variety of classes to see which ones are most aligned with my interests and passions.

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:38 pm

If you really loathe the major you're in right now, switch to something that you enjoy! I don't think the process is too difficult unless you're switching into a whole other school/college.

Sara_Lim_2C

Postby Sara_Lim_2C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:54 pm

I've spent many days considering switching to a geology major, which has honestly been a secret dream of mine for a long time. But I realized it would have wasted my entire first quarter because almost none of the classes I've taken would apply toward that major's requirements. I do intend to stick to my major, Neuroscience, because some of the upper-divs are really interesting and I know once all the pre-reqs are done it should be more exciting. That was primarily why I picked the major. I am still considering minoring in something interesting like music industry, or who knows maybe I'll minor in geology lol.

AlyssaMaynard1C

Postby AlyssaMaynard1C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:00 pm

Hey! I'm an Environmental Science major and I chose it because I want to restore the natural world and bring awareness to the pitfalls of our learned bad behavior/toxic practices. Chemistry is in no way my strong suit, but it's required for my major to be a well rounded scientist and I have to find joy in the process. I balance my mind by having film as one of my minors, so I'm able to express my creative side!

AlyssaMaynard1C

Postby AlyssaMaynard1C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm

AJForte-2C wrote:you should try taking different classes/GEs in areas of study that you might be interested in. I think the more you try different things, the more you'll get an idea for what you want to do.

UCLA has such a profound program for a multitude of art forms, every student at UCLA should take at least one class in the arts!

Melody Wu 2L

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm a psychobiology major and I think it'll be a fun major. I've always enjoyed reading psychology books/articles and loved my AP psychology class. I also wanted to be a STEM major though so psychobio was a perfect combo of the two areas I wanted to learn more about. My teachers and mentors always told me that it doesn't matter what you major in, just make sure it's something you're excited to learn about. College is about exploration and spending time to really delve into something you find interesting. So whether it's mechanical engineering or art history or French, go for it! I'd take a few intro classes in some subjects you're interested in and see how you like it before committing to it. Take your time, you're still young :)

(P.S. If you are thinking about premed, your major doesn't matter either. If you get your pre-reqs done, you can major in anything you like. It's actually really cool if you pick something different because it'll give you a unique perspective in medicine and set you apart from others (especially if you REALLY enjoy it)).

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:06 pm

I am currently on the pre-med track, but I started off as a Biochem major and when I realized that the course outlook for the major didn't fit me--I switched to just Bio. At first I was nervous to switch, but the process is so easy and welcoming-- so it was cool :)

EmilyC_3D

Postby EmilyC_3D » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 pm

I'm not in exactly the same situation, but I was undecided on my major until just recently as a second year. Originally, I wanted to be a life science major, but it was difficult to choose because, at the same time, I was interested in a broader variety of subjects outside of just that area. One thing that really helped me was looking through different majors and seeing what classes sounded interesting to me. I also talked to the department counselors and researched what else was a part of the program. I ended up switching to environmental science (still STEM but not technically under the life sciences department) and am very glad I did! I would definitely say you should never be afraid to change your major. Make sure your choosing something because it's what you want, and not anybody else. Your major doesn't have to determine what you will be doing for the rest of your life, and you should spend your time in college studying something you (at least somewhat) enjoy.

Giselle_zamora_1L

Postby Giselle_zamora_1L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Stem classes definitely make me question my major. If you don't like it don't do it, its you that has to do 4 years of it. I'm on a pre med track but probably going to drop the biology major and switch to a Pol Sci major.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:54 pm

I would consider taking some GEs in other subject areas and seeing if there is anything that you find you happen to be really interested in before switching completely. There is also always the option to double major or add a minor that might be a good compromise if you are hesitant about going completely one way or the other. Hope this helps!

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 am

I've definitely been thinking a lot about switching majors since Fall quarter ended just because I'm not really sure what I want to do in the future yet. I do like science though so I'll probably stay within the Life Science majors, but I'm not sure exactly which major to pursue. Life science majors all have very similar lower-divs so I'm hoping I'll find something that really sticks with me after taking the lower-divs for my current major :)

alebenavides

Postby alebenavides » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 pm

honestly if u feel like u want to switch u should. I changed during orientation and I feel good about my decision

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 pm

I tried to switch majors at NSO, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work, so now I have to submit a petition :/

Stacey Phan 2I

Postby Stacey Phan 2I » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:50 pm

I switched my major once I realized there are many majors that pertain more to my interests. If you are pre-med, the pre-requisites are the same for a majority of life science majors so you should go through the list and see what best interests you :)

Cora Chun 2D

Postby Cora Chun 2D » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi! omg this post is so relatable, and I know this isn't the exact same thing but I decided to pursue an English minor. Sometimes all the STEM could be a little overwhelming, so I think a touch of humanities is nice. Also, I think I'm switching from psychobio to MCDB just because I enjoyed LS7A so much, but I'm not sure yet haha. I think taking more life science prereq classes will help you decide which life science major you want to pursue, but it sounds like you may be considering switching out of STEM entirely so idk. By the way, if you are pre-med, you can still be a major that's not STEM as long as you do all of the prereqs for med school! A lot of English and poli sci majors still get into med school, so if med is something you're interested in but you don't feel like majoring in STEM that's perfectly okay :)

*Edit: I just read some of the responses and I completely agree that you should take more GEs to see what you're interested in. I figured out that I wanted to minor in English because of a Writing II course I took last quarter, so don't be afraid to explore! With most life science majors I think you can get by with taking two STEM courses per quarter and one humanities/GE course.

James Fu 2F

Postby James Fu 2F » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi! I relate a lot as I feel a little lost as to what I want to do in the future and a lot of the friends I've met at UCLA seem to know exactly what they want to do.

I'm currently a computational and systems bio major because I was super indecisive about choosing CS or pursuing a premed pathway. Honestly, I'm not even sure if either is right for me so I've been considering switching to cog sci as I enjoy UI/UX design in my spare time. I don't want to pursue a career pathway I don't truly enjoy, but I'm glad that UCLA has such diverse classes and opportunities that I look forward to explore!

HannahArabi14a

Postby HannahArabi14a » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:16 pm

Hey! I totally understand the feeling of wanting to switch or not completely knowing what you want to do. My advice is to not force yourself into something that you didn’t want in the first place. Starting in the beginning of college I was a biology major because I thought that was the best major for pre med students. I ended up disliking biology and I knew in high school that I didn’t like biology either, yet I was forcing myself to pursue something that I didn’t even enjoy. I switched my major to something I enjoyed more, which was political science. Now I’m thinking of double majoring in Chemistry, because I enjoy the subject matter and it’s intriguing to me. The most important thing is to enjoy what your majoring in and have the opportunity to do well in it. Seek opportunities through internships and clubs that you think you enjoy. Keep an open mind and don’t limit yourself to one thing, you never know what opportunity may arise. Don’t have a tunnel vision mindset for only one path.

Postby 205769933 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Honestly I was thinking about switching majors too, but it's a totally natural thing to do so don't stress about it! I know so many people who have already switched majors/are thinking of switching majors, and as long as you have you ges and plan out well I'm sure you'll be fine!

Hannah Kim 3C

Postby Hannah Kim 3C » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:04 am

I've switched my majors twice since I was admitted, and all were within the life science majors. I am determined in keeping my major as of now, but sometimes, I get overwhelmed by medical school track and get lost. However, I still won't change my major into a non-life science major because I have not yet found something I am passionate about. I advice that if you've found something you are truly passionate about, you should switch your major into something that assists your passion regardless of what your parents have to say.

JohnathanH_1H

Postby JohnathanH_1H » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:29 pm

Right now Ive been thinking about switching my major. Currently I am a bio major and I chose to be a bio major because it interested me the most. But after looking at the major requirements I realized that a lot of upper-division courses that I would need to take do not interest me that much and so Ive been thinking about switching to MMIG because microbiology seems much more interesting than general biology.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”