Learning Sessions

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

marlene 1K

Learning Sessions

Postby marlene 1K » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:16 pm

How many step up/UA/lavelle discussion sessions do y'all recommend to attend? Should I attend at least twice a week? And should I attend more sessions before the exams?

Anna_Mohling_1D

Re: Learning Sessions

Postby Anna_Mohling_1D » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:28 pm

I think this varies for most students! I personally like to go to at least 2 UA sessions/week (I usually go to 1 step-up and 1-2 workshops). Sometimes I would go to more before exams because the UA's oftentimes provide review questions. During the week before finals, I went to about one per day because they were all converted into different review sessions!

Crystal Hsueh 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Crystal Hsueh 2L » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:44 pm

It depends on you and your schedule! If you are understanding the content pretty well and don't feel like you need to actually attend the workshops for extra help, you can always access the worksheets to practice on your own time (this is what I do). Heads up though, not all UA's give access to their worksheets but many of them post them here on chem community. If you're struggling with any of the content then it's a good idea to attend once or twice a week, and when it gets closer to midterms or finals I like to attend quite a few a week as well. But again, it's different for everyone :)

Racquel Fox 2I

Postby Racquel Fox 2I » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:00 pm

I think I understood the material best when I went to 2 during a week, but it completely depends on your schedule, and if that doesn't work for you definitely try to attend at least one.

Emily Jacobo 1C

Postby Emily Jacobo 1C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Like my peers have stated, it really depends on your schedule and how well you do/do not understand the concepts for that week. I usually attend a session when I don't understand the topics and then also the week before a midterm, as they sometimes host review sessions and give review worksheets.

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:18 pm

I recommend attending as many as you can! They were super helpful for me last quarter, especially since I was exposed to many different practice problems.

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:19 pm

Totally up to you and your workload/schedule. Personally, I am going to go to 1-2 consistently every week, and I will probably increase that before exams. The workshops are super helpful for studying!

Sondia Luong 1C

Postby Sondia Luong 1C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:22 pm

Similar to what everyone else has said, it's good to go to as many learning sessions as possible or at least once a week. I found myself cramming many in toward the end of fall quarter and regretted not attending more during the earlier weeks. Even if you don't have any questions concerning anything, step up sessions really help fortify your understanding and foundation in chemistry! They're also a great way to practice applying concepts besides the examples given in lecture.

Jiwon_Chae_3L

Postby Jiwon_Chae_3L » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm

It's probably different for everyone and their level of comfort/familiarity with class materials but I think once a week or so should be sufficient.

AJForte-2C

Postby AJForte-2C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:36 pm

I think whatever feels right for you to get a good grasp of the material. For me, it usually changes around exam times too.

Nandhini Ekambaram 1L

Postby Nandhini Ekambaram 1L » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Last quarter I went to one step up and one workshop per week, but attended more sessions during midterms and finals week. I will try to attend more this quarter because they are really helpful!

cadytran1K

Postby cadytran1K » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:01 pm

It really depends on what you prefer! Last quarter I attended more sessions before/during midterms or finals week to prepare. That helped a lot for review and practice.

Vanessa Perez

Postby Vanessa Perez » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:48 pm

las quarter I only went to 1 a week and I regret it. I think 2-3 would be a good amount per week. They are very helpful, if you understand the material well, then you probably do not need to attend as many.

Bryan Le 2K

Postby Bryan Le 2K » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:50 pm

I believe you should attend as many sessions as you can. They can viewed as a great way to clarify information or review material.

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Anna_Mohling_1D wrote:I think this varies for most students! I personally like to go to at least 2 UA sessions/week (I usually go to 1 step-up and 1-2 workshops). Sometimes I would go to more before exams because the UA's oftentimes provide review questions. During the week before finals, I went to about one per day because they were all converted into different review sessions!

I do the same thing! 1 step up and 1 workshop can fit within a busy week, especially before finals and midterms!

AmyHo2K

Postby AmyHo2K » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 pm

It really depends on you and how much you understand the material. I usually like to go 3 to 4 times a week which may seem like a lot, but they're always extremely helpful, especially before exams.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 am

It depends on the person, but you should try to attend as many as possible since they're super helpful. I'm planning on attending 2 per week, as that works with my schedule.

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D

Postby Uyenvy Nguyen 1D » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:01 am

It depends on how well you understand the material for that week! I find them very helpful, so I would try to attend at least 1-2 per week!

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 am

I would attend as many as you can in the beginning to see which UA is best for your learning style! After you figure out who works best, I'd suggest attending one or two per week. When midterms come around, I would recommend doubling that just to get extra practice if you need it :)

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:20 pm

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with the material during the week. It is definitely helpful going to more leading up to the midterms and final as they give you an opportunity to go over extra practice problems with others.

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 pm

For me personally, I go to the UA's that have helped me the most in the past quarter. Depending on my schedule ill try to go to as many as I can during the week I find that being taught from students who have already completed the class is a great way to learn and understand the materal. At times they help more than the lecture.

SavannahScriven_1F

Postby SavannahScriven_1F » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:53 pm

Like everyone else has said, whatever fits your schedule! I tried to go to as many workshops as I could because I found additional practice problems was what helped me the most. Even though I could have gone to more than 2 per week, 2 felt like a good number. I ended up always going to workshops from my 2 favorite UA's. Don't stress if you can't make any a certain week! If I had a busy week and felt like a had a solid grasp on the material, then it was okay for me to focus my time elsewhere.

Brianna Martilla 1C

Postby Brianna Martilla 1C » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:53 pm

I suggest at least a few times per week, but more if you have time. I guess it just depends on if they work for you too. If you can learn independently, then great. But it's helpful to have an experienced student and others to work with. And before midterms and the final is especially helpful. Also, before the final, there are review sessions of past exam questions from all topics, which I found helpful.

Jamie Wang 3C

Postby Jamie Wang 3C » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:30 pm

I didn't attend the UA sessions last quarter, but did pretty well on midterms. During finals week, I went to all of the afternoon workshops, and OMG it changed my life. Even if you know the material, the UAs are REALLY good at making sure u have a wide range of knowledge.

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:45 am

If you can fit it into your schedule, I recommend as many as you can, but attending at least once a week should be good! I've found that UA sessions are a good way to consistently practice the concepts so that you don't feel as stressed before the midterms/final because you've been reviewing the concepts over and over through UA sessions :)

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”