Culinary Chemistry

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sebastian2I

Culinary Chemistry

Postby Sebastian2I » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm

Hey all! I have recently begun teaching myself to cook and have been amazed at how directly the lessons of general chemistry apply to the kitchen. This past weekend I was reading about how you shouldn't blend hot mixtures because the blades will release steam easily causing nasty burns and remembered how the comparative severity of steam burns is due to the fact that more energy is required to break bonds in water molecules than to heat water to the same temperature. This isn't all, though. From thinking of recipes in terms of stoichiometric coefficients to neutralizing the ammines in fish with citric acid, cooking is full of fun bits of chemistry that I find absolutely fascinating! If anybody else is also learning, has any enlightening experiences or tips to share, or has any interesting chem lessons to be found in the kitchen I would invite you to drop them here. Recipes, hacks, stories, all welcome! Maybe we can get something good going!

Nane Onanyan 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Culinary Chemistry

Postby Nane Onanyan 1G » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:00 pm

This can also be extended to baking!! I like to experiment with cookies, because every single ingredient can completely alter your cookie! Since baking soda is a base (sodium bicarbonate as we know), it is often used in recipes that use some kind of acid like lemon juice in order for your product to rise properly. Without the acid, baking soda makes your cookie spread. Baking powder is made of the same base plus another acid (also with a stabilizer that keeps them from reacting until liquid is added), so the CO2 it creates will ensure a fluffier, cakey cookie. A combination of the two will make the best of both worlds.

Charlie Russell 2L

Postby Charlie Russell 2L » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Oh wow! Very interesting to see you put Chem to action and apply it to real world stuff!

I suck at cooking but maybe once I get a little further in Chem, I'll be the next Gordon Ramsey???

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Charlie Russell 2L wrote:Oh wow! Very interesting to see you put Chem to action and apply it to real world stuff!

I suck at cooking but maybe once I get a little further in Chem, I'll be the next Gordon Ramsey???

If you're just getting started I would recommend YouTube for some great instruction in kitchen techniques. Channels like Pro Home Cooks really help if you're trying to make cooking work as a student with a busy schedule. In terms of cookbooks, Raymond Sokolov's "How to Cook" and "Cook's Canon" are excellent starters. He's easy to understand and he keeps a good amount of humor in his writing :)

George Kaleb Jimenez 1K

Postby George Kaleb Jimenez 1K » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:31 pm

Bon Appetit has an awesome youtube channel too and they tie in chemistry facts as to why they do certain things while cooking so it's really cool!! My favorite one from their staff is Claire <33

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:12 am

I was just reading about non-stove cooking and stumbled across a passage describing how marination not only imbibes food with extra flavor but also breaks down proteins in meat dishes - when the marinade contains an acidic element, as it usually does - essentially "cooking" it without requiring any heat. Very interesting.

Navdha Sharma 3J

Postby Navdha Sharma 3J » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:31 am

Sebastian2I wrote:I was just reading about non-stove cooking and stumbled across a passage describing how marination not only imbibes food with extra flavor but also breaks down proteins in meat dishes - when the marinade contains an acidic element, as it usually does - essentially "cooking" it without requiring any heat. Very interesting.

Oh yes! I have always been interested in cooking and learnt this technique by watching Masterchef Australia :) If I remember correctly, this technique is called "curing" and is mostly used in South-Asian and Japanese cooking. It helps to bring bright, pungent and powerful flavors and you also don't feel too full after eating such dishes. They are rather refreshing!!

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 pm

I just made some spicy butternut squash soup and served it alongside some salad with balsamic vinegar. I noticed how the acidity of the salad went well with the relative sweetness of the squash and I remembered Lavelle's reference to this last quarter :)

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 pm

Also speaking of acidity, if anyone has any good cooking or baking recipes having to do with oranges they would be much appreciated - I currently have a surplus of oranges on my hands.

Kaiya_PT_1H

Postby Kaiya_PT_1H » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:00 pm

Nane Onanyan 1G wrote:This can also be extended to baking!! I like to experiment with cookies, because every single ingredient can completely alter your cookie! Since baking soda is a base (sodium bicarbonate as we know), it is often used in recipes that use some kind of acid like lemon juice in order for your product to rise properly. Without the acid, baking soda makes your cookie spread. Baking powder is made of the same base plus another acid (also with a stabilizer that keeps them from reacting until liquid is added), so the CO2 it creates will ensure a fluffier, cakey cookie. A combination of the two will make the best of both worlds.

This is so cool! I've always been confused about the difference between baking soda and baking powder. baking is definitely one of the more fun categories of chemistry imo :)

Kaley Qin 1F

Postby Kaley Qin 1F » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:16 pm

If you're interested in learning more about the science behind baking and chemistry, I would totally recommend watching a TedEd video about the science of cookies! That video got me interested in baking in the first place since I was excited to learn the science behind it. And as a reward for learning, I got delicious desserts!

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:00 am

Kaley Qin 1F wrote:If you're interested in learning more about the science behind baking and chemistry, I would totally recommend watching a TedEd video about the science of cookies! That video got me interested in baking in the first place since I was excited to learn the science behind it. And as a reward for learning, I got delicious desserts!

Thanks for the recommendation! I love TedEd and will definitely be checking that one out :)

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:48 pm

If anyone is interested in learning about the chemistry behind french fries, and why McDonald's should never have switched from using animal to vegetable fat, I would highly recommend Season 2, episode 9 of Malcolm Gladwell's podcast - Revisionist History. The episode is entitled "McDonald's Broke My Heart" and aside from a chemistry lesson it's pretty funny to listen to.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... e-my-heart

Sabine Salvucci 2E

Postby Sabine Salvucci 2E » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:48 am

Something I recently learned was the difference between heat-safe and regular glass. Heat-safe glass (like the kind you can use oven, eg. Pyrex) is made of borosilicate glass, which has a low coefficient of thermal expansion and therefore is less likely to break at high temperatures. I think this is more related to physics but it definitely reminded me of specific heat capacities which we are learning about in Chem14B! Basically, just make sure to check if your glass is heat-resistant or it could shatter.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:27 am

Having once shattered a thin glass jar as I tried to heat its contents over a stove, I can personally attest to the importance of this.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:05 am

Great topic and posts!

Good & Tasty Chemistry :-)

Take a look at:

https://www.zmescience.com/science/cook ... chemistry/

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/educ ... istry.html

I should look at these for Q&A ideas.
I'm getting hungry ... off to Sunday morning snack.

I elevated this topic to global post.

Mari Williams 1K

Postby Mari Williams 1K » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 pm

My brother and I once shattered a glass pan of brownies after putting it on a cold metal table straight out of the oven...truly tragic

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm

I've always been warned about putting hot cake pans in the fridge to cool them down haha. I tend to be impatient and hurrying the chilling process can lead to terrible things for both cake pan and cake.

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:22 pm

ok this thread is so cute I wish I could subscribe to its updates. But I believe this chemistry also applies for salting water for pasta (adding salt gives it higher boiling point means pasta is cooked at a higher temperature). Also, I watched my brother shatter a glass lid one by running it under cold water after taking it off the stove (I wonder why they even make glass lids bc of this tbh... doesn't it seem to make more sense to not??? idk). One thing I've been interested in is how the proteins of eggs and overmixing alter the overall structure of a cake. I understand the deflation (like getting rid of the extra air you've added) but they are also so crucial to giving cake a [censored] body I'm curious as to how vegan recipes are able to replicate the same effect.

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Also I haven't purchased this myself because cookbooks are expensive and all of mine are gifts, but I think there's some review of this in Samin Nosrat's "Salt Fat Acid HEat." I'm almost curious to see exactly why the combination of these different elements can elevate a dish so much more than if you were to excluce one element-- maybe theres some chemistry-based explanaiton regarding enhanced flavor or the biological response to these combinations in taste!

Samantha Low 3D

Postby Samantha Low 3D » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:10 pm

My family has an ongoing debate if adding salt to pasta water makes the water boil faster or slower. The argument for faster is that adding salt disrupts the surface tension of the water, and contributes to it boiling faster. The argument for slower is that salt raises the boiling point of the water, and thus the water takes longer to boil. Either way, we agree that pasta cooks faster when salt is added because the boiling point is higher so the temperature of the water is higher.

Janna Shakiba

Postby Janna Shakiba » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:14 pm

Mari Williams 1K wrote:My brother and I once shattered a glass pan of brownies after putting it on a cold metal table straight out of the oven...truly tragic

Lmao I've done this too

Janna Shakiba

Postby Janna Shakiba » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:16 pm

Samantha Low 3D wrote:My family has an ongoing debate if adding salt to pasta water makes the water boil faster or slower. The argument for faster is that adding salt disrupts the surface tension of the water, and contributes to it boiling faster. The argument for slower is that salt raises the boiling point of the water, and thus the water takes longer to boil. Either way, we agree that pasta cooks faster when salt is added because the boiling point is higher so the temperature of the water is higher.

This is interesting because my family has had that same debate. How do you feel about adding a few drops of olive oil to the boiling water? My mom has always done this because she says it prevents the pasta from sticking...

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:15 am

This is a really cool thread! I love reading the replies. I love to cook a lot and I find that learning chemistry helps me understand more about cooking.
A while ago I learned about the Maillard reaction, which I'll admit I don't entirely understand the chemistry behind, but I wondered if anyone else did and might be able to explain it? Maybe someone has a cool video they know of that breaks it down?
I know it's what gives food flavor through browning, like when you toast a marshmallow, but I don't really know how it works. I wonder if learning how it works would mean learning to use it better, such as factoring in things like the amount and distribution of the heat, the addition of sugars or oils to encourage browning, etc. I know it has something to do with sugars, which may be why some people add a little sugar to carmelizing onions to help them brown better!

idella 1D

Postby idella 1D » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:55 am

As someone who loves to bake and cook, it's super interesting to see the relations it has to chemistry and how chem has been able to explain a lot of stuff.

One thing that I always remember now is the question/topic/idea we covered (don't remember exactly at this point) about why steam is so much hotter. I may have learned that the hard way when putting my hand on the rice cooker at the wrong time...

Also, the idea of how cooking an egg is simply a type of chemical change. It changes permanently (aka the sign of a chemical change) after being put on the heating agent. There's no way to get the egg back to its raw state, and there's no going back after messing up and burning it :)

Side note, Alton Brown has a cooking show called Good Eats which would oftentimes cover science, history, and more about foods! It is super interesting and literally a staple of my childhood. Highly recommend watching it and I think he even had a reboot of it recently!

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:10 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:Great topic and posts!

Good & Tasty Chemistry :-)

Take a look at:

https://www.zmescience.com/science/cook ... chemistry/

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/educ ... istry.html

I should look at these for Q&A ideas.
I'm getting hungry ... off to Sunday morning snack.

I elevated this topic to global post.

This is so awesome! I am glad to see that so many others share these same interests and that there is so much literature out there for us to learn from! Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Samantha Low 3D wrote:My family has an ongoing debate if adding salt to pasta water makes the water boil faster or slower. The argument for faster is that adding salt disrupts the surface tension of the water, and contributes to it boiling faster. The argument for slower is that salt raises the boiling point of the water, and thus the water takes longer to boil. Either way, we agree that pasta cooks faster when salt is added because the boiling point is higher so the temperature of the water is higher.

We are currently learning about the former point in chem 14b in our analysis of solutions and recrystallization of aspirin! If some impurity is present in your solution, the melting point will be lower because the impurity hinders the intermolecular forces (dipole-dipole/Van der Waals/hydrogen bonding/etc.) that allow the solute to retain cohesion.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:25 pm

Janna Shakiba wrote:

This is interesting because my family has had that same debate. How do you feel about adding a few drops of olive oil to the boiling water? My mom has always done this because she says it prevents the pasta from sticking...

I remember watching an episode of ProHome Cooks on youtube and they recommended doing so for this reason, however the comment section made it quite clear that this is a contentious issue...

Alara Aygen 3K

Postby Alara Aygen 3K » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Wow! These are all very interesting posts. I will definitely check out some of these videos.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am

I was just in a problem-solving session for CHEM14BL where we discussed a titration of a solution of hydrochloric acid with one of sodium hydroxide. The end result was a solution of water and sodium chloride for which the pH was zero - since Na+ comes from group 1 and is, therefore, a spectator ion while Cl- is the conjugate base of a strong acid and also does not affect the pH. Dr. Casey mentioned that this is good news for pasta because adding salt to the water neither embitters nor acidifies it because of this neutrality :)

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Speaking of culinary chemistry, if anyone has any recipes that can be made with ~microwave~ radiation let me know. Dorm life is a struggle.

alette1a

Postby alette1a » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:22 pm

tholz11 wrote:Speaking of culinary chemistry, if anyone has any recipes that can be made with ~microwave~ radiation let me know. Dorm life is a struggle.

I've recently become a fan of microwave scrambled eggs. Beat two eggs really well in a microwaveable bowl with some salt and sugar, and microwave until there's no wetness left. You have to monitor it to make sure it doesn't explode haha, but if you mixed it well it should be fine. I have something we use to cover bowls in the microwave and it makes my eggs fluffy.

Here are some other simple ideas if you're in a rut :)
- microwave a frozen burger patty + toast burger buns + toppings of course
- microwaveable pasta (Barilla brand works for me) + sauce (after searching thru many brands... #1 is Rao's marinara & #2 Bertolli alfredo) + toppings (love mushroom with alfredo)
- Trader Joe's has some excellent microwaveable stuff, especially Indian cuisine. I love eating it with their naan (Indian flatbread).
- "fried" rice (season microwaveable rice, preferably the frozen stuff, to taste with soy sauce, chicken bouillon, salt, pepper, anything you have on hand) + veggies/meat (diced ham, peas, carrots, corn, etc.)

alette1a

Postby alette1a » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:24 pm

This is interesting because my family has had that same debate. How do you feel about adding a few drops of olive oil to the boiling water? My mom has always done this because she says it prevents the pasta from sticking...[/quote]

I read somewhere that putting oil in the water actually coats the pasta with the oil and makes it more difficult for sauce to stick to it!

Madison Muggeo 3H

Postby Madison Muggeo 3H » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:46 am

This thread is so cute! My family bakes a lot and I was surprised to see how many chemistry topics that we learned applied to what we were doing in the kitchen. I don't remember who said this in the thread but I agree that cooking/baking is a more fun form of chemistry lol

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:41 pm

I've heard culinary chemistry is a newly used item in the cooking world. Since at the end of the day baking and cooking is basically chemistry from the get-go at the core. I once saw Masterchef where a man used his chemistry background to excel in his cooking abilities. It worked but the flourish was just too much he missed the point of cooking. Sometimes however in cooking, I've noticed that Cooking isn't always an exact science because at the end of the line. NO chemical you add or any amount of salt or sugar will ever make the food you eat taste the same as someone special made it.

Hana Sigsbee 3B

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 pm

This is so fun, I noticed the application of chemistry a lot in baking like baking is such an exact science because it's basically just chemical reactions coming together to make the end product, and if you get one of those reactions just a little off the whole thing is wrong.

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:15 pm

tholz11 wrote:Speaking of culinary chemistry, if anyone has any recipes that can be made with ~microwave~ radiation let me know. Dorm life is a struggle.

Trader Joe's has a lot of really nice and delicious frozen food. I really like their potstickers and butter chicken, but they have a lot of variety. I also recently made raspberry sauce for a parfait in the microwave. You just put frozen raspberries in a bowl with some sugar since frozen raspberries can be tart, and you heat it for a minute to a minute and a half. Then you mash it with your fork and strain it to remove the seeds. You can use a spoon to mash the raspberries against the strainer to get the most juice/sauce out. I use this for parfaits with vanilla ice cream and granola, and it's delicious! You can do this with any frozen fruit that's easily mashable like strawberries or blueberries.

Mari Williams 1K

Postby Mari Williams 1K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:23 pm

I love seeing people make the fruit "caviar" by dropping fruit purees mixed with agar into oil, and they form little spheres since they don't mix with the oil!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Many good chemistry suggestions here. :-)

fruit "caviar", clever!

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:59 pm

idella 1D wrote:As someone who loves to bake and cook, it's super interesting to see the relations it has to chemistry and how chem has been able to explain a lot of stuff.

One thing that I always remember now is the question/topic/idea we covered (don't remember exactly at this point) about why steam is so much hotter. I may have learned that the hard way when putting my hand on the rice cooker at the wrong time...

Also, the idea of how cooking an egg is simply a type of chemical change. It changes permanently (aka the sign of a chemical change) after being put on the heating agent. There's no way to get the egg back to its raw state, and there's no going back after messing up and burning it :)

Side note, Alton Brown has a cooking show called Good Eats which would oftentimes cover science, history, and more about foods! It is super interesting and literally a staple of my childhood. Highly recommend watching it and I think he even had a reboot of it recently!

I absolutely love Good Eats. It is such a good show and I was so happy when he came out with Good Eats Reloaded.

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 pm

What in chemistry makes flavors in food taste different other than heat?

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Also, are there certain videos that help explain the chemistry behind cooking different foods?

Naomi Hernandez-Ramirez 1J

Postby Naomi Hernandez-Ramirez 1J » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:14 pm

alette1a wrote:This is interesting because my family has had that same debate. How do you feel about adding a few drops of olive oil to the boiling water? My mom has always done this because she says it prevents the pasta from sticking...

I read somewhere that putting oil in the water actually coats the pasta with the oil and makes it more difficult for sauce to stick to it![/quote]

I our family we do the same thing, put oil in the pasta water to prevent it from sticking. In my own experience I’ve found that it does make a difference just in when I drain I can tell if I forgot or didn’t because the pasta will get sticky! I’ve never actually paid attention to the sauce but will take a look into it

Matlynn Giles 2E

Postby Matlynn Giles 2E » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:53 pm

Wow this is so cool! I've definitely noticed it applying in real world too!

Sarah Huh 1K

Postby Sarah Huh 1K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:57 pm

wow this is so cool! I did not know this before

Kylie Joe 2A

Postby Kylie Joe 2A » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:11 am

This is awesome! I was thinking about the relationships between chem and culinary arts just yesterday making cookies, and having to pay attention to something as specific as temperature of eggs.

Tiao Tan 3C

Postby Tiao Tan 3C » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:13 am

Thanks for recommending all these youtube channels!! I always enjoyed the relationship between cooking and chemistry but never got to systematically learn about them :)

Maddie Turk Disc 2J

Postby Maddie Turk Disc 2J » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 pm

Kaley Qin 1F wrote:If you're interested in learning more about the science behind baking and chemistry, I would totally recommend watching a TedEd video about the science of cookies! That video got me interested in baking in the first place since I was excited to learn the science behind it. And as a reward for learning, I got delicious desserts!

I watched this vid, Its super interesting! Thanks for the recommendation:)

jia207

Postby jia207 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 am

This is so cool! I will definitely look more into it. I love learning about real life application when it comes to my classes

Kelly Singh

Postby Kelly Singh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Janna Shakiba wrote:
Mari Williams 1K wrote:My brother and I once shattered a glass pan of brownies after putting it on a cold metal table straight out of the oven...truly tragic

Lmao I've done this too

Me too!!

Kelly Singh

Postby Kelly Singh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:09 pm

305405193 wrote:What in chemistry makes flavors in food taste different other than heat?

I have always wondered this!

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:30 pm

Ever cook something and just admire the art of what was just there. The entire amalgamation of what existed all it needed was heat to make it into a tasty treat (well it could be tasty assuming you cook well). All things considered, it is a very interesting thing, If anyone would like to cook and allow me to see it and eat it, LET A GUY KNOW.

TJ Lai 2H

Postby TJ Lai 2H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:13 pm

This is such a great thread! I love cooking and it's really cool to apply things I learned in chem class to my cooking :)

Edwin Liang 1I

Postby Edwin Liang 1I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Yeah, learning about Chemistry definitively helped further my knowledge on cooking. I always wondered the relationship between temperature on the stove and it's effect in the food. After learning more about thermodynamics, I learned that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the heat transfer coefficient of the fluid, meaning if you increase the heat on the stove, the food will heat up faster.

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:01 pm

This thread makes me want to start baking more. :((

Juliana Rosales 1H

Postby Juliana Rosales 1H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:21 pm

The only thing I think that I really have to contribute to this thread is about this lady I saw on TikTok who put baking soda in a pot of boiling water and it like foamed up and spread all over the kitchen. Usually putting something in water is a physical change I think, so I thought it was really interesting this happened. People in the comments acted like everyone already knew about it, but honestly I probably would have done what she did.

Juliana Rosales 1H

Postby Juliana Rosales 1H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Additionally I have been interested in finding out why oil fires need to be put out with a fire extinguisher and not water. I saw online a demonstration of what happens when you put water on an oil fire and I really don't understand why it happens, but Im assuming its some type of chemical reaction.

Juliana Rosales 1H

Postby Juliana Rosales 1H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 pm

In all honestly when I do stuff like baking I am reminded of balancing equations and the likes. It ruins my mood for the most part to think about chemistry outside of class time, so to make up for it I usually add a little more or less then the required amount just so everything is not exact. On top of that I''ll add in even more unnecessary ingredients with no exact ingredients, just so the recepie strays farther from an exact chemical equation

Emily Jacobo 1C

Postby Emily Jacobo 1C » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:53 pm

Wow! I just read through this entire thread because I never thought of chemistry in that way really. Not only was this super helpful for chemistry, but I might just have to try a few of these tips myself! Thank you to everyone who shared some tips!

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 pm

I did not know that! Thank you for sharing this I'm going to do that now :)

Lorena_Morales_1K

Postby Lorena_Morales_1K » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 pm

This is so fascinating, I am not much of a cook myself but I definitely want to start to cook and make connections to the chemistry we're learning because it sounds super dope.

Nane Onanyan 1G

Postby Nane Onanyan 1G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 am

Yesterday, I brought a bag of sliced apples for lunch with me but by the time I got to eat it, it was already browning. Then I remembered how my mom used to cover apples with lemon juice to keep them fresh all day long! The acidity of the lemon slows down the browning because ascorbic acid reacts with the oxygen before the oxygen can react with the enzymes in the fruit.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 am

Nane Onanyan 1G wrote:Yesterday, I brought a bag of sliced apples for lunch with me but by the time I got to eat it, it was already browning. Then I remembered how my mom used to cover apples with lemon juice to keep them fresh all day long! The acidity of the lemon slows down the browning because ascorbic acid reacts with the oxygen before the oxygen can react with the enzymes in the fruit.

I've always wondered why this works. Thanks for sharing!

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Sabine Salvucci 2E wrote:Something I recently learned was the difference between heat-safe and regular glass. Heat-safe glass (like the kind you can use oven, eg. Pyrex) is made of borosilicate glass, which has a low coefficient of thermal expansion and therefore is less likely to break at high temperatures. I think this is more related to physics but it definitely reminded me of specific heat capacities which we are learning about in Chem14B! Basically, just make sure to check if your glass is heat-resistant or it could shatter.

This post made me laugh because I distinctly remember shattering a glass due to this exact phenomenon. I was confused about it until reading this post and just wanted to thank you

Sabrina Galvan 3J

Postby Sabrina Galvan 3J » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:07 pm

I always found ceviche to be an interesting dish! It's essentially letting raw shrimp marinate in an acidic base (oxymoron haha) mainly composed of lemon or lime juice. The citric acid causes the proteins in the shrimp to go through denaturation, changing its physical and chemical properties so that it becomes "cooked" without any heat! I am not a fan of sea food, but anytime my family makes this I always serve myself a small helping as a way to celebrate the cool science behind it.
Last edited by Sabrina Galvan 3J on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Ngo 1F

Postby Eric Ngo 1F » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:14 pm

My favorite cool chemistry thing with cooking is cooking shrimp with lemon juice in stuff like ceviche!

Sarah Huh 1K

Postby Sarah Huh 1K » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:14 pm

Eric Ngo 1F wrote:My favorite cool chemistry thing with cooking is cooking shrimp with lemon juice in stuff like ceviche!

that sounds so yummy eric!

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:53 pm

OMG poor brownies! Craving for one now :(

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 am

Does anyone here have an air fryer :3

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 am

Word to the wise for anyone handling frozen meat, try not to refreeze the meat once you have defrosted and opened the package. This is theoretically safe if the meat was carefully defrosted in the fridge and was only out of the freezer for 2-3 days but refreezing multiple times will cause oxidation of proteins and fats, reducing the quality. I happened to make this mistake a few days ago and thought it would make for a good post.

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 pm

Honestly, I don't really know what's going on with me lately--when it comes to baking. Usually, I'm really good at measuring ingredients and following directions for baking, but lately I've been forgetting steps or adding too much of something and it ends up throwing off the entire recipe. I definitely need to redeem myself after finals week.

Claudia_Danysh_2B

Postby Claudia_Danysh_2B » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:28 am

Hey for anyone interested in this topic, there's an upper division class called "What's Cooking Chemistry in the Kitchen" I think and it mixes cooking with chemistry!!

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 pm

Claudia_Danysh_2B wrote:Hey for anyone interested in this topic, there's an upper division class called "What's Cooking Chemistry in the Kitchen" I think and it mixes cooking with chemistry!!

Thank you for bringing this up. I will definitely be checking that out :)

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:22 pm

If physics and scopes were more powerful I would like to put one into a food mic or something like that and bake it to see the actual atoms and molecules form together to make the food we eat on a daily basis. Something about seeing the actual thing that goes into our body makes it all worthwhile to get to know your body and yourself a little better.

Mari Williams 1K

Postby Mari Williams 1K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Butterfly pea flower tea changes color with pH! People add lemon juice and it makes it look really cool.

Maddie Turk Disc 2J

Postby Maddie Turk Disc 2J » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:35 pm

Mari Williams 1K wrote:Butterfly pea flower tea changes color with pH! People add lemon juice and it makes it look really cool.

I've seen videos of this before it is so pretty! I really wanna try it haha.

keely_bales_1f

Postby keely_bales_1f » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Its crazy to think that any cooking we do involves chemistry. Like even cutting an avocado in half sets off a chemical reaction that changes the green flesh of the avocado to a brownish color. CRAZY

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Maddie Turk Disc 2J wrote:
Mari Williams 1K wrote:Butterfly pea flower tea changes color with pH! People add lemon juice and it makes it look really cool.

I've seen videos of this before it is so pretty! I really wanna try it haha.

I would want to do this to trick my family haha!

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm

Claudia_Danysh_2B wrote:Hey for anyone interested in this topic, there's an upper division class called "What's Cooking Chemistry in the Kitchen" I think and it mixes cooking with chemistry!!

Woah! that would be cool to take!

Ziyan Peng 3A

Postby Ziyan Peng 3A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:16 pm

wow I am loving this topic and how y'all are connecting chemistry to real life. it's so interesting to think about haha

Truman Chong Dis 3G

Postby Truman Chong Dis 3G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Something I learned was how to tenderize meat using various fruits such as pineapple or papaya or even using sparkling water. For the Fruits you can blend all of it and use the mush to cover a piece of meat and in an hour the meat will be significantly more tender.

Postby 305405193 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:03 pm

is there any chemistry that is connected with making cake pops and can someone possibly explain that? maybe to improve how one can make them at home?

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 am

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D wrote:

Trader Joe's has a lot of really nice and delicious frozen food. I really like their potstickers and butter chicken, but they have a lot of variety. I also recently made raspberry sauce for a parfait in the microwave. You just put frozen raspberries in a bowl with some sugar since frozen raspberries can be tart, and you heat it for a minute to a minute and a half. Then you mash it with your fork and strain it to remove the seeds. You can use a spoon to mash the raspberries against the strainer to get the most juice/sauce out. I use this for parfaits with vanilla ice cream and granola, and it's delicious! You can do this with any frozen fruit that's easily mashable like strawberries or blueberries.

omg this is great! thank you

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:26 am

I just bought some! Im very excited to use it haha.

Katie_Dinh_1D

Postby Katie_Dinh_1D » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:49 am

305405193 wrote:is there any chemistry that is connected with making cake pops and can someone possibly explain that? maybe to improve how one can make them at home?

I'm not so sure if this is relevant to making cake pops, but if you are microwaving chocolate, make sure to melt in increments. There were many times when I burned chocolate, or it started sparking because the microwave was too hot! Tempering chocolate is also a really cool process, and it gives really pretty and shiny chocolate.

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Sabrina Galvan 3J wrote:I always found ceviche to be an interesting dish! It's essentially letting raw shrimp marinate in an acidic base (oxymoron haha) mainly composed of lemon or lime juice. The citric acid causes the proteins in the shrimp to go through denaturation, changing its physical and chemical properties so that it becomes "cooked" without any heat! I am not a fan of sea food, but anytime my family makes this I always serve myself a small helping as a way to celebrate the cool science behind it.

Yes, my family also does this! I always wondered how it was cooked without actually being cooked.

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:06 am

For some reason, I always find myself stress-baking during finals week--just to get my mind off things.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:55 pm

keely_bales_1f wrote:Its crazy to think that any cooking we do involves chemistry. Like even cutting an avocado in half sets off a chemical reaction that changes the green flesh of the avocado to a brownish color. CRAZY

Quick life hack for this. If you ever want to use half of an avocado and save the rest for later, cut it in half lengthwise, pull it apart, and save the half with the pit. The pit results in less surface area affected by this reaction and will make cutting away browned flesh simple later on.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:58 pm

tholz11 wrote:

I just bought some! Im very excited to use it haha.

So does this mean that I might be able to perform a titration and drink the leftover indicator once I'm finished? :)

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Some tips I just picked up for anyone looking to buff their mashed potato game:

- Red Bliss Potatoes are the best for rustic smash potatoes by virtue of their thin skin and waxy texture
- If you're after creamier mashed potatoes, go for Yukon Gold, which is less waxy than the Red Bliss
- The classic Russet Burbank has a higher starch concentration so you should always be careful about overmixing to prevent coagulation and paste-formation (I very
recently made this unfortunate discovery firsthand)
- Smash potatoes with a ricer instead of a masher for even texture and fewer cells being ruptured - again avoiding that gluey paste problem

Shoutout to Binging with Babish for this and many other amazing cooking tips :)
Last edited by Sebastian2I on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:15 pm

almost_ethan wrote:For some reason, I always find myself stress-baking during finals week--just to get my mind off things.

Can definitely relate. These past couple of weeks I've been cooking a lot more because it helps take my mind off of finals and experimenting in the kitchen always yields interesting lessons.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:00 am

I was just reading the textbook's chapter on catalysts and enzymes and happened across a line describing how the enzyme amylase breaks down starches as you chew them into digestible glucose. As a result, chewing starchy foods for extended periods of time will make them taste sweeter. I suppose this is more focused upon the chemistry of taste than cooking but I still thought it deserved a mention here.

Lily Anne Garcia 1C

Postby Lily Anne Garcia 1C » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:46 am

bon appetite is amazing!!!

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 pm

Appropriate to the subject we're covering rn: I just learned that you season the skin of a turkey with baking soda because it acts as a catalyst which speeds up the Maillard reaction - giving it a nice brown coloring. If anyone has any more info on the Maillard reaction pls share I've heard it referenced a few times but I am eager to learn more!

Aditya Sundaram 3D

Postby Aditya Sundaram 3D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

I think I broke like at least 4 glass cups trying to rapidly cool my fresh hot boba. My parents have now forbid me from touching the glass and I'm an adult lmao.

Aditya Sundaram 3D

Postby Aditya Sundaram 3D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:23 pm

almost_ethan wrote:For some reason, I always find myself stress-baking during finals week--just to get my mind off things.

I can relate to this one. I'm stress-making boba and drinking way too much tea. It's scary and yet so tasty. My weighing scale going up up up.

Sarah Huh 1K

Postby Sarah Huh 1K » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:06 pm

Aditya Sundaram 3D wrote:

I can relate to this one. I'm stress-making boba and drinking way too much tea. It's scary and yet so tasty. My weighing scale going up up up.

ahah boba is getting me through this class :(

Maddie Turk Disc 2J

Postby Maddie Turk Disc 2J » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:58 pm

Sebastian2I wrote:Some tips I just picked up for anyone looking to buff their mashed potato game:

- Red Bliss Potatoes are the best for rustic smash potatoes by virtue of their thin skin and waxy texture
- If you're after creamier mashed potatoes, go for Yukon Gold, which is less waxy than the Red Bliss
- The classic Russet Burbank has a higher starch concentration so you should always be careful about overmixing to prevent coagulation and paste-formation (I very
recently made this unfortunate discovery firsthand)
- Smash potatoes with a ricer instead of a ricer for even texture and fewer cells being ruptured - again avoiding that gluey paste problem

Shoutout to Binging with Babish for this and many other amazing cooking tips :)

Yum now I want mashed potatos haha

Valerie Tran 2B

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Aditya Sundaram 3D wrote:

Boba has to be my ultimate weakness, I could save a lot of money by making it but I may die of too much sugar.

Valerie Tran 2B

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:06 pm

When you melt sugar and water into invert sugar syrup, it is a hydrolysis reaction that can be sped up with catalysts such as cream of tartar or lemon juice. I never thought about it but I do make a lot of syrup so it's interesting to see the chemistry in action and I have this thread to thank for that.

p.s. be careful when making it because it will burn you badly. Sugar is hot when melted.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”