Students Who Have a Job

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kiana Javier 3G

Students Who Have a Job

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:00 pm

Hi!

So I have a part time job where i work around 10-15 hours a week on top of school. Sometimes I find working and school very hard to manage, but I enjoy working and wouldn't give it up.

I just wanted to see if there were any other students out there who are also working right now. How are you guys doing? Have you also found it hard to manage your time?

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Re: Students Who Have a Job

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:05 pm

I'm not gonna lie, work plus clubs plus school is such a rough time. I'm STRUGGLING. Hopefully, you find some kind of comfort knowing there are other people in the same boat but I don't have much advice. I love my planner and can't live without it so I think time management is super important.

Hayden Lee 1C

Postby Hayden Lee 1C » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi there!

I also have a part-time job, working 20-25 hrs a week. I usually maintain a part-time job throughout the quarter with no trouble, but it has been slightly more difficult this quarter as a result of the fact that I am taking an extra class. Working during the pandemic has also added some stress for obvious reasons, one being that my schedule isn't as definitive as it once was with in-person classes. I've considered stopping and waiting for the quarter to end to resume work because of all of my assignments, but I'm not really sure what to do! I'm also curious to see whether students are maintaining a job during school at this time and how that might be going for them.

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B

Postby Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:09 pm

Yeah, I work less than 10 hours a week so I have a bit of flexibility. I set myself on a schedule and have a calendar planned what needs to be done. I try to watch lectures as they come out rather than waiting or looking at them on the weekend. I try to do as much work as I can in my given free time so that I can enjoy the rest of my day and not worry. One thing I really struggle with are distractions, especially with my phone. I'm working on cutting the time down so I can efficiently get stuff done. It's definitely different for every person b/c of classes, work time, extracurriculars, etc. How are you doing? Me saying this does not mean I'm fine though, because I definitely can fall behind. But I try to do the best I can I guess.

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:09 pm

Sachi Sengupta 2C wrote:I'm not gonna lie, work plus clubs plus school is such a rough time. I'm STRUGGLING. Hopefully, you find some kind of comfort knowing there are other people in the same boat but I don't have much advice. I love my planner and can't live without it so I think time management is super important.

Ugh, my planner is also my best friend. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in this though, thank you :c I wish you the best! I'll be struggling along side you :<

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:17 pm

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B wrote:Yeah, I work less than 10 hours a week so I have a bit of flexibility. I set myself on a schedule and have a calendar planned what needs to be done. I try to watch lectures as they come out rather than waiting or looking at them on the weekend. I try to do as much work as I can in my given free time so that I can enjoy the rest of my day and not worry. One thing I really struggle with are distractions, especially with my phone. I'm working on cutting the time down so I can efficiently get stuff done. It's definitely different for every person b/c of classes, work time, extracurriculars, etc. How are you doing? Me saying this does not mean I'm fine though, because I definitely can fall behind. But I try to do the best I can I guess.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well! For me, I definitely am struggling a bit. Sometimes I get so tired after work that I don't even wanna think about school when I come home. But I definitely think I'm managing this quarter better than the last, so I will have faith in myself to keep that streak going for the rest of college. Thank you for asking, I really admire your work ethic (:

Sara_Lim_2C

Postby Sara_Lim_2C » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:21 pm

Because of covid, my hours were reduced A LOT, so I have been fortunately able to balance work and school. But sometimes I do wish I had more hours because I miss seeing a lot of my coworkers and just doing something outside of my house :/

Madilyn Schindler 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Madilyn Schindler 3E » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:27 pm

Hey! I'm working part-time as well and I honestly feel like I easily fall behind in some of my classes. I find that the best way for me to stay on top of things is to multitask. When I'm getting ready in the morning, I'll have a lecture playing with my notes out, and I'll do the same thing when I'm getting ready for bed. I'm currently trying to fix my sleep schedule and trying to get to bed earlier so that I can wake up earlier without feeling as tired. I'm sure a lot of you guys are trying to do the same haha.

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:27 pm

I work 20-30 hours a week. It definitely gets overwhelming at times but I really dedicate my working days to working and then after I'm exhausted from work, I'll catch up on all my lectures/notes. On the days that I am off, I try to get as much done as possible and really maximize my time. The downside is that I haven't been really involved with clubs/activities so that's something I'm trying to work on in Spring.

Darren1j

Postby Darren1j » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 pm

Hey hey,
I work two 8 hour shifts a week, and I have it set up so that I work Monday and Saturday. I also found it to be most efficient to work as early as possible so I can do other things later in the day. Monday is my grind day, so I only go to work and do school work. I also have wednesday where I spend the majority of day doing school work. To keep my sanity, I use my sunday to do something calming and fun, and try to limit my school stuff (unless its midterm szn). I think setting up your schedule is a smart way and writing down what assignments you want to get done each day is huge.

Kristine_Aramyan_3K

Postby Kristine_Aramyan_3K » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

props to everyone in this thread..i am doing 10 hr job pretty soon and also two side jobs. the hustle is real especially when you're trying to help your fam out. it def isn't easy especially during midterm and final season. the grind is real and so is the sadness of not doing as good as you wanna do... ugh honestly, burnout is hitting too early.

sending good vibes to everyone tho we got this!! :')

Kristine_Aramyan_3K

Postby Kristine_Aramyan_3K » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:20 pm

Darren1j wrote:Hey hey,
I work two 8 hour shifts a week, and I have it set up so that I work Monday and Saturday. I also found it to be most efficient to work as early as possible so I can do other things later in the day. Monday is my grind day, so I only go to work and do school work. I also have wednesday where I spend the majority of day doing school work. To keep my sanity, I use my sunday to do something calming and fun, and try to limit my school stuff (unless its midterm szn). I think setting up your schedule is a smart way and writing down what assignments you want to get done each day is huge.

yes! this is such good advice. pick at least two grind days in the week and get as much work done as possible!! don't forget to allow yourself to rest so you're fueled up for the coming week.

Sabine Salvucci 2E

Postby Sabine Salvucci 2E » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:43 pm

Hey! I have a part time job where I work 20ish hours a week and I find that making sure I have time where I can focus just on school helps me get everything done. I also like to plan ahead when I am going to complete each assignment so I am not scrambling at the last minute. Honestly, it can get pretty busy and SUPER stressful so it's also important to make sure that you have time to rest and reenergize. Also, sometimes during my break at work, I will do smaller tasks that I can do from phone so I feel less stressed when I am actually focusing on school (idk if this is actually helpful but it makes me feel better haha).

Tanya Bearson 2K

Postby Tanya Bearson 2K » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi! I also have a part time job and am doing research and have definitely found it hard to balance all of my work. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to do everything! I am good about being productive but I think I spend more time than most people on my schoolwork so it adds up. I like to write lists to keep track of what I have to do. I also am trying to work on allowing myself more time to have fun, relax, and take care of myself. There is always more school work to be done but we also need to prioritize our mental health and well being.

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:43 pm

Hello there! I usually work about 40 hours a week and also taking 4 classe. Honestly, it was very overwhelming at first because it feels like I have a lot of things to do at once, but I learned that having a VERY concrete schedule truly helps you be on top of studying, working AND take care of yourself. Sticking to it can be difficult sometimes when there are unforeseen circumstances, but it's all about adjusting. I hope you're doing well and I know you got this!!

Audra Mcleod 3G

Postby Audra Mcleod 3G » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Hello!
I don't know if I belong on this post because I quit my job LOL, but I sympathize with everyone's comments. I worked about 15-20 hours per week last quarter, and while some weeks weren't that bad, it was overall a pretty stressful experience. It just felt like every time I had time to relax or time to get caught up on my classes, I had to go to work. I quit my part time job at the beginning of this quarter because I upped my classes to 4 (pretty substantial workload for each), and I also had club and volunteer obligations to consider. However, I got another job on a food delivery app where I can decide how many hours to work each week and when, and I found it's a less demanding way to make some money!

Massimo_Capozza_1G

Postby Massimo_Capozza_1G » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 pm

I would say having a job, and school is a lot of work but definitely worth it in the long run, but remember we are in college! Make sure not to overwork yourself and find time to relax and have fun!

Nicole Critzer 2L

Postby Nicole Critzer 2L » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:17 pm

Hi guys I also work part time and I usually average about 22 hrs a week. Personally I don't think not having a job would make this class any easier for me. I can say I don't have time but the reality is even when I do its hard to stick to my scheduled plan. I am my worst enemy and this recent midterm was a wake up call. I only hope I can get myself together and get my grade up.

Jamie Wang 3C

Postby Jamie Wang 3C » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:21 am

Hi!
I worked about 20 hrs a week throughout high school and honestly the biggest trick is to write everything down. I have a planner where I write down what I plan to do at each time. Or, when I spend a day spontaneously doing many different homework assignments or even take it easy and have fun, I like to write it down in my planner. It makes you feel like you are doing something useful with your time even if it is relaxation!

Nina Fukui 2J

Postby Nina Fukui 2J » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:42 am

Hey
I work less hours than you do but I do admit it is still hard to manage the two and maintaining grades. I feel like I lose time for self-care and stress myself out a bit too much. I try to manage it by just taking a break and dropping everything when I need to. I'll spend a whole day watching Netflix and get back on my feet the next. It might seem like a poor decision but it works for me at least!

George Kaleb Jimenez 1K

Postby George Kaleb Jimenez 1K » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:11 am

I'm a working student too and my job got moved to Zoom as well. It can definitely be a lot and sitting for all that time really does take its toll, plus looking at a computer screen for that long. But, I really do like my job, it's super fulfilling and that mixed with school keeps me busy so that's nice :)

Trevor_Ramsey_3H

Postby Trevor_Ramsey_3H » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:55 am

Hi,

I work part-time for 2 jobs to pay for my own things and have my 4 classes (around 30 hours a week for work)... It is very demanding, but I make sure to put school first and end up staying up late most nights. I might have to quit one job because I'm not satisfied with how I did on the midterm for this class even though I studied alot and knew the material. It's hard to find time for myself, but I know in the long run it's worth it!

Josh Chou 3K
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Josh Chou 3K » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:07 pm

I work a part-time job and get 20-25 hours a week, and honestly, it's actually made me more productive and organized. Thankfully, I work morning shifts, so I still have the rest of the afternoon to study and do homework, but so far I have found the load to be manageable. My time management has gotten so much better since I started working, and it's great because it gives me something to do other than sitting in Zoom classes all day

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:56 pm

Honestly, I am struggling a bit with time management. Along with a part-time job, I signed up for so much this year but I end up getting extremely Zoom fatigued at the end of the day. I do manage, however, by just requesting days off whenever necessary. This is especially for when I have a big midterm coming up or have a large portfolio due. For my personal time management, I usually try to have all of my commitments and shifts either at the beginning of the day or at the end of the day rather than the middle so that I have more time to study and focus on school! I usually do not do well when I have events at the middle of the day, as I stress a lot before it and get tired after. I hope this helps or makes sense! You got this :')

TJ Lai 2H

Postby TJ Lai 2H » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm starting a part-time job next quarter and will also be balancing classes, so this has been a helpful thread for me :) Feeling nervous, but hopefully I can pull it off...

SainehaMaddineni_3I

Postby SainehaMaddineni_3I » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 pm

I work part-time at Kumon, but luckily my job is currently over Zoom working with kids. Whenever there is downtime between my sessions, I tend to spend that time getting the simpler class assignments finished, such as article reading. This helps me get ahead in my daily schedule. It's definitely difficult when my classes and my Kumon meetings are back to back, but using the little time in between has made it a little better for me :)

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:31 pm

Hey there! I also work a part-time job and at the moment I'm generally working around 15 hours plus a week. It's been a bit of a struggle balancing that with classes, especially since even if I have some time to do school work after a shift, I'm often too tired to concentrate. It's been really difficult for me with chem as well since this class demands a lot of time commitment. I've been keeping up with lecture and also I've been trying to spread out the textbook problems so I'm not overwhelmed.

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Winzel Payumo 1B wrote:Hello there! I usually work about 40 hours a week and also taking 4 classe. Honestly, it was very overwhelming at first because it feels like I have a lot of things to do at once, but I learned that having a VERY concrete schedule truly helps you be on top of studying, working AND take care of yourself. Sticking to it can be difficult sometimes when there are unforeseen circumstances, but it's all about adjusting. I hope you're doing well and I know you got this!!

Wow, I just wanted to say I admire you so so much for keeping a full time job while being a full time college student :c Major props to you. I am wishing you the best, and I hope you also find time to rest and do things you think are fun!

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:17 pm

Nina Fukui 2J wrote:Hey
I work less hours than you do but I do admit it is still hard to manage the two and maintaining grades. I feel like I lose time for self-care and stress myself out a bit too much. I try to manage it by just taking a break and dropping everything when I need to. I'll spend a whole day watching Netflix and get back on my feet the next. It might seem like a poor decision but it works for me at least!

Oh I definitely feel you on this!! There are some days where I honestly just cannot do anything except lay in my bed and do whatever I want, and I feel really guilty about it every time, but I know that's all I can manage on some days. Glad I have someone to relate to (^: Best of luck for the rest of the quarter!!!

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:18 pm

I don't have a full time or part time job but I just want to say how much I admire everyone who is balancing a job and schoolwork! I already feel so overwhelmed with classes and a couple extracurriculars, I can't imagine also having a job on top of everything :/ You guys are so amazing!

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:05 pm

Working and going to school is a real struggle. I'd recommend making sure you're putting aside time to study and reaching out for help from UAs, TAs, and professors when you can't.

Katie_Dinh_1D

Postby Katie_Dinh_1D » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 pm

Working is definitely a struggle :( I find it hard to stay on track, but keeping a physical calendar has helped me immensely

Kristine_Aramyan_3K

Postby Kristine_Aramyan_3K » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Katie_Dinh_1D wrote:Working is definitely a struggle :( I find it hard to stay on track, but keeping a physical calendar has helped me immensely

yes! also, personally something about crossing out things on my to-do list that feels so rewarding.

Kristine_Aramyan_3K

Postby Kristine_Aramyan_3K » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 pm

Winzel Payumo 1B wrote:Hello there! I usually work about 40 hours a week and also taking 4 classe. Honestly, it was very overwhelming at first because it feels like I have a lot of things to do at once, but I learned that having a VERY concrete schedule truly helps you be on top of studying, working AND take care of yourself. Sticking to it can be difficult sometimes when there are unforeseen circumstances, but it's all about adjusting. I hope you're doing well and I know you got this!!

you're amazing. that is a lotttt of work. keep doing a great job. you got this! and like you said, take care of yourself. always find time to treat yourself.

Annette Fishman

Postby Annette Fishman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

This really resonates with me. I work two jobs back to back right after my classes, and come home most days at 10 pm when I finish. I also try to make time to hang out with my boyfriend and my best friend and my family, and up until last week I was managing, but now I have a huge pile of workload that I am trying to catch up on whenever I have an ounce of free time. I really just try to make checklists and set goals for myself, but like last quarter, this is about the same time where I started falling behind. But, all of us are getting that back and that amazing education. We are motivated and will get through it :) Always find time for yourself as well

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:57 pm

I work about 15 hours a week and I do say that it is quite difficult

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:20 pm

I work about 20 hours a week, and it is quite difficult sometimes. However, I do enjoy the structure of a work schedule and find that it often makes me more productive. I definitely fell victim to what I call the mid-quarter slump, where I lose productivity and motivation right around the middle of the quarter, but working has helped keep my schedule in place.

Will Pham 1J

Postby Will Pham 1J » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 pm

I've had 2 part time jobs during this school year and it's super tough. I definitely find it hard to keep up but it's teaching me a few things about time management.

Irene Chang 2F

Postby Irene Chang 2F » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm

I am tutoring and although it is not too tiresome compared to other jobs, I have a hard time finding some "me time", especially with all the clubs going on as well. I have needed to drop some of the clubs I was less interested in and over the weekends, I find myself catching up on loads of work. Using Google Calendar has really helped me lay out my week to see what days I will have time to sit down and really have some time to concentrate. I have set times each week to complete my homework/labs/assignments and that helps me set a rhythm and routine throughout the quarter. For example, I finish my Chem 14BL labs and Cluster writing prompts on Sunday nights so I don't need to worry about forgetting a deadline. It really is tiring and staring at our computer screens for 14+ hours a day is really not doing any good for us.

Lisa Seidl 3H
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Lisa Seidl 3H » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:31 pm

I tutor over zoom but had to limit my hours this quarter because I was having a hard time with this too. I try to plan out my work for the day and set small goals so that I know I will have enough time to achieve all my goals.

Postby 505598869 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:20 am

I am working but only on weekends so managing my time has not been too difficult.

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:12 pm

hey!

I also have a job. My hours are reduced due to the pandemic, so right now I get about 8-16 hours per week when I usually get 20-28 hours per week. It is really tough to balance it. I often feel overwhelmed and burnt out often. Take it one day at a time. When you are at work, don't think about schoolwork. When you are doing school work, do not think about work. I understand the frustration of wanting to get the most of a wonderful UCLA education but also having to work to afford it. For all of you who are struggling with the work-life balance. I feel you. I believe in you, and you got this! You are doing amazing right now. I'm proud of yall.

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 am

I'm not currently working a job but I did work part-time 9-15 hours a week from sophomore to senior year in high school and can relate to a lot of these comments. I stopped working when I started college (current freshman here :D) because I wanted to make sure I could adjust to the increased workload first. I think I might start working again spring quarter so reading all of these comments has given me a better idea of what to expect when working a job in college. I just wanted to say I really admire all of you who are currently working on top of school!! It is definitely not easy, especially during this time. You got this!! :)

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 am

I work about 10-15 hours per week and I feel like it is flexible.

Abril Guanes 2A

Postby Abril Guanes 2A » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Hey!
I also have a part-time job. I work for UCLA IT Support Center and I work about 12 hours a week. The most important thing is to give yourself time to relax and decompress, especially with a class like Chem that is really stressful. I've started going on walks with my roommate and weekend hikes and honestly that boosts my serotonin levels tremendously. Over the years I have discovered that no grade, class, or assignment is worth your mental and physical health so take a break! even if it means that you don't end up with an A++++++ on your transcript.

Anna Yang 1A

Postby Anna Yang 1A » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 am

I work part-time, but my job has been flexible for me and I've been able to cut down to only weekends so I can attend the extra workshops alongside my lectures. I definitely rely on a planner to keep up with assignments and studying though.

Chesca Legaspi 2E

Postby Chesca Legaspi 2E » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Hey! I just recently got a part-time internship where I work for about 15 hours a week, but it's a remote position so I'm probably not undergoing nearly as much stress/physical exhaustion as others who are working in-person. It can be a lot to manage sometimes, but sometimes work is also a nice break from school. Plus, getting paid is always a positive haha.

AustinMcBrideDis3L

Postby AustinMcBrideDis3L » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi, I recently got a job as a medical scribe, and I work around 14 hours every week. I'm super grateful to have the position, especially to help around during times of COVID, but sometimes work can get draining standing up for hours, especially knowing you have schoolwork you need to complete when you get back home. What I find helpful, like many others have pointed out above, is to have a checklist in your planner. I don't know I just get a little smidget of serotonin when I put a checkmark by a task I need to complete. It seems small but it really goes a long way.

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:27 pm

I was recently hired for a UCLA work study position for the Asian American studies center, and I work about 10-12 hours per week. It was a bit difficult to manage at first since I was still getting used to the quarter system, but I do enjoy my job as it exposes me to different tasks and materials. Work study is also very flexible and understanding, so I think it helps to be able to move my hours if necessary to prep for a midterm or project.

apurva-3E

Postby apurva-3E » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:45 pm

I work 15 hours a week and it is rough, I find that doing a lot of time management and really microplanning your day makes it really smooth to get work done. Never save studying for after a shift!

Margia Adriano 2A

Postby Margia Adriano 2A » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey there! I'm doing about fifteen hours per week in terms of work, which isn't as much as some of the hard workers here, but I do find myself still struggling with balancing everything!! I won't lie and say that I'm breezing through my classes, because having to stay on top of the continuous stream of assignments is always really hard for me, and getting home from work and realizing you still have stuff to do is hard to find energy for! To help with this, I try to plan out my day in advance and prioritize what needs to be done first so I don't have to worry about when it comes down to it. Sometimes, it's hard to stick with the schedule that you come for yourself and sometimes you might want to take a longer break than what you had planned originally, and that's okay! In my mind, as long as it gets done, everything is going to be okay!! Good luck to everyone that's working this quarter and really during their school years!

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:50 pm

I work too and all I can say is that time management is key. You have to learn to manage your time correctly and dont forget to take a lot of breaks because it can be very draining

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 pm

Hey! Im working part-time right now but really limited hours and then I coach 3/5 days during the week and its pretty hard. I feel like its really easy to get behind and then feel like I'm playing catch up the entire quarter. However, having a planner and sticking to the items that I want to finish during the day is really helpful and has helped me stay on track.

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:00 pm

I am currently considering to work during next quarter, and reading this thread was extremely helpful! I think that already school can be very stressful and time-consuming, and I have had a hard time deciding whether or not I should get a job. But, I think that it just boils down to your own time-management skills as well as motivation to keep up with school work as well as attend your job.

StephanieIb

Postby StephanieIb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:42 pm

I work around 15-20 hours a week at a coffee shop and I feel like it made me more productive! I do have to push through being tired a lot of the time though. I'm also a bit nervous about managing my time next quarter because I feel like my classes/schedule is going to be miore difficult

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 pm

I feel like having to balance work and school forces you to manage your time more efficiently because if you don't you can fall way behind (especially since classes are online). That happened to me last quarter, and it can be pretty stressful but I've been trying to be more productive!

Truman Chong Dis 3G

Postby Truman Chong Dis 3G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:50 pm

I have been working a part-time job recently and I find that it is hard to manage my time and be productive during my free time. However, having classes start 3 hours later due to time difference has been pretty helpful, but the downside is that I have to stay up later while waking up early still.

Simer_Shera_2D

Postby Simer_Shera_2D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:51 pm

I work 11 hours a week and honestly I agree sometimes its hard to juggle everything , especially during midterm season. Something I find very convenient is to have a planner so that you can map out your midterm and assignments weeks ahead of time using the syllabus. That way, you'll be able ot begin preparing ahead of time, especially accounting for work.

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:19 pm

The trick is to work a lot during the weekends.

Adrienne Chan 1G

Postby Adrienne Chan 1G » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:37 pm

Hey Kiana (and everyone else), I definitely feel your struggle! Most people I know are busy due to clubs, but not too many people I know are working, so it feels really nice to find other people who are. I'm lucky that I'm just tutoring, so the families are often very flexible. I do my best to let them know in advance that I'll be reducing hours weeks 4, 7, and finals and they're very understanding. Not sure if that's possible for you to do but it might be worth a shot!

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:38 pm

I have a part-time job right now and I am struggling as well. What works for me is to plan my days in my planner and make the most of my time. Weekends are when I catch up a lot on schoolwork.

StephanieGrigorian2J

Postby StephanieGrigorian2J » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:45 pm

Hi! I definitely know what you're talking about because I work 20 hours a week and it SUCKS. I'm especially worried for next quarter where I'm taking 5 classes so I'm going to try to cut back to 15 hours a week and hopefully it will help. It does get difficult to stay on top of things but I try to have a schedule and daily goals that I can try to reach for everyday. I'm also finding it really hard to have some time to myself and genuinely enjoy life at the moment with both work and school.

Jack Kettering 3D

Postby Jack Kettering 3D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:46 pm

I was working during the fall quarter and I definitely had a lot on my plate but it is 100% doable if u do a good job of managing your time :)

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Yep i also work a part time job since I have been staying at home I just decided to keep working rather than quit for school like i had originally planned. I have pretty flexible hours but work a few nights a week and then weekends as well. It actually kind of helps me because I really have to stay on top of my work in order to stay on track and I make sure to get stuff done before work so it forces me to plan stuff out.

Maryeli Garay 2H

Postby Maryeli Garay 2H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm

I have a part time job in food service, and it can honestly be a lot sometimes. I feel super overwhelmed when I have a lot of work and school work too, but I guess the most important thing is communication with your manager about your needs and time off! :)

Jiayi Wu 3J

Postby Jiayi Wu 3J » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:57 pm

It's hard. Sometimes I just wanna quit my job or school or both. Every now and then I have this thought stuck in my head. But I would say it is definitely worth trying. You can always change your plan later.

Nina Ellefsen 2D

Postby Nina Ellefsen 2D » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 am

I think it's important to know your limits & communicate w/ ur manager!! Since the quarter started I've been working 20-25 hours a week and I've slowly started to realize that it has not been good for me, but I was kind of scared to say anything. I finally talked to one of my managers today about changing my availability & she totally understood, so I would just say don't be afraid to tell them if your schedule isn't working for you!

Sondia Luong 1C

Postby Sondia Luong 1C » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:38 am

As a student, I've found that working a job that gives you flexible hours is pretty important. For now, I work 6am - 11am three days a week and 6am - 2 pm once a week. It's hard sometimes because I can't stay up late to study and catch up on procrastination because I have to wake up early the next day, but its been manageable since my managers have been very kind in letting me take days off whenever I needed to study for midterms and finals! Work is great (making money is lowkey addicting), but I've been learning to keep school as my #1 priority.

ColmConnolly3D

Postby ColmConnolly3D » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 am

I work part-time as an EMT and it can be really tough to manage with school. It is hard to come back from a shift and get work done, so I usually try to plan my workload around working, but I obviously can't do this for every night I work. Sometimes I will bring reading into work, as I usually have some downtime in the ambulance to get what I need to done!

Hope this helps contextualize your experience,
Colm

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:09 am

I was thinking of getting a job next quarter so these posts definitely helped. Thanks for bringing it up!

Jasmin Kumar 1G

Postby Jasmin Kumar 1G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 am

I am also working a part time job to mostly just get out of the house, especially since I stay home most of the time. I find that it is nice since I only work the evenings, and the rest of my time at home I study for my classes! you just have to find that good balance!

jia207

Postby jia207 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 pm

I do not have a part time job, but I am on an athletic team and practice around 20 hours a week. I find it hard to manage, but what helps me to stay motivated after practice when I am tired is to drink coffee and drink a lot of water. Keeping myself fueled and mind/body in the right place is important to stay on task when you have less time in your day.

America Alvarado

Postby America Alvarado » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:31 pm

It's kind of comforting to know I'm not the only one. I recently had to take up 2 jobs and balancing school and work has not been easy. I feel so burned out and exhausted all the time. I just hope all this work and effort is worth it in the end.

Ryan_Page_1J

Postby Ryan_Page_1J » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:36 pm

I work roughly the same amount of hours. It is definitely hard to manage time, but in some ways I like the break from thinking about school. Time management is super important.

jia207

Postby jia207 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm

Ryan_Page_1J wrote:I work roughly the same amount of hours. It is definitely hard to manage time, but in some ways I like the break from thinking about school. Time management is super important.

I completely agree, having a break during the day from school related responsibilities is really nice. I think it helps me feel less burnt out when I have breaks during the week where I am not focused on school.

SamayaJoshi1A

Postby SamayaJoshi1A » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:44 pm

I worked all though last quarter. I found splitting my schedule so that my work is spread out throughout the week makes everything more manageable.

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:41 pm

I work almost 20-30 hours a week and have a full-time schedule at school as well. IT SUCKS it absolutely F*****g sucks my life is in a constant jetstream of HW and work work. Let us not worry though even though id rather DIE.

Katie Lam 2J

Postby Katie Lam 2J » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 pm

I am also working a part-time job, and it is definitely a struggle. Thankfully, I have an amazing manager, and she makes sure my schedule aligns with my class schedule. This quarter, I scheduled my classes so that the bulk of my classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I left my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays pretty free. This allows me to grind out my work on certain days and then go to my job, study, and complete homework on other days. I find that keeping a planner and/or calendar is also super, super important to staying on top of things!!

Jaclyn Dang 3B

Postby Jaclyn Dang 3B » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:27 pm

I work 30 hours a week, tuesday, wednesday and friday from 9am-7pm. I try dedicate 3 full days to catching up on lecture and assignments and then one day to relax.

Charlene D 3H

Postby Charlene D 3H » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 pm

To everyone on this thread, I hope you know you're doing amazing. As mentioned by many students, this is a difficult time to be a student yet alone a working student.
Don't forget to honor your emotions instead of pushing them away (they'll only get worse if you try to ignore them).
And remember that rest is so so important; + you don't necessarily need to earn your rest. If you feel overwhelmed or anxious, taking a bit of time to breathe, meditate, go for a walk, etc., can be so helpful and make you more productive and focused when doing all the things on your schedule later.
(Of course I am not perfect either and should take more of my own advice, but these are things that have helped me).
I'm so proud of you all. Take care of yourselves and each other <3

Postby 005137088 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:10 am

Last year in winter, I was working 50 hours a week. It was one of the hardest things to do while managing with school.

Ben Broselle 3 I

Postby Ben Broselle 3 I » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 pm

I play for the national rugby team and train upwards of 40 hours a week. setting my schedule at the beginning of the week always helps me out though so I can manage my time better.

elletruchan2I

Postby elletruchan2I » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi Kiana! I worked through my senior year of high school, and I found it a bit difficult. As I start my new job here, I am definitely finding it a bit difficult to manage, but I've found since I tend to do most of my homework at night, I like to work in the morning so it doesn't cut into the time I am academically productive.

Postby 405509920 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:58 pm

I don't currently have a part-time yet but i'm in desperate need of funds. I'm nationally registered EMT but finding manageable hours is tough. Most places require at least 30 hours a week, which often turns to 35-40 because of overtime. Even the emt program through ucla has some pretty demanding hours with a minimum requirement of 20 hours a week. I talked to some of the full time ucla student emts about this and they said that they usually just get the whole 20 hours done in one shift. To me pulling off an all-nighter every single week seems like it would greatly hinder my ability to study (I envy those of you who can function on less than 8 hours of sleep). Not to mention the possible emotional stress the job might put me through. It really sucks because I worked so hard to get certified and paid a good amount of money to do it, but I just don't have the time. As much as I'd love to get out on the field my priority is school. So yeah, if theres any advice on what I should do please fell free to share.

Desiree 3E

Postby Desiree 3E » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:23 pm

I work about 30 hours a week and so far it’s been manageable because all of my classes are remote, but I know next quarter I’ll struggle a lot more since I’ll be commuting :(

Madeline_Miller

Postby Madeline_Miller » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Hey! I also have a job. I'm working 40 hours a week, and I travel a lot for it. I'm having a pretty hard time right now because it's so hard juggling both academics and work, especially when works takes up so much of your time.

Ellen Brock 2I

Postby Ellen Brock 2I » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:39 pm

I do not work right now during school but I am going to be working during breaks back at home. I would like to work during school just because having the extra money would be so useful but I really don't know if I could manage. I would have to really be strict with a schedule and everything which I feel would just burn me out.

elletruchan2I

Postby elletruchan2I » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:11 am

Sachi Sengupta 2C wrote:I'm not gonna lie, work plus clubs plus school is such a rough time. I'm STRUGGLING. Hopefully, you find some kind of comfort knowing there are other people in the same boat but I don't have much advice. I love my planner and can't live without it so I think time management is super important.

My planner is my best friend at this point. If nothing else, it could just help knowing that you have a community with you facing the same struggles.

cnyland

Postby cnyland » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:44 am

I think its hard to manage, but it definitely pays off in the long run feeling the security of having an income.

Emily Wu 2G

Postby Emily Wu 2G » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:10 pm

I agree with you, and I hope you can make yourself less stressed and find a way organize better! I also have a job but it is less than 10 hours so it is a little better for me to manage.

dericasu3a

Postby dericasu3a » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:07 am

Adding on to what others have said already, time management has been crucial for me. It's really easy to slip into procrastination without having a set schedule every day. However, if I stick to my calendar and stay organized then I'm able to manage alright.

CynthiaA_2K

Postby CynthiaA_2K » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:40 pm

I have always had a job while in college and at first, it really took some adjustment and managing my schedule but after a while, I learned how to best manage my time in a way that worked best for me. One key tip I have for anyone working while in school is to make sure you set boundaries for yourself and don't let your job take advantage of you. Remember that school should come first and if you find yourself struggling don't be afraid to reduce how much you work. :)

Kassandra Javier 2D

Postby Kassandra Javier 2D » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:55 pm

Hello!

I find that being very transparent with my manager and supervisors has helped a lot. A lot of times, if I have a club meeting or something else last minute, my supervisors are flexible with me and let me leave a few minutes early so I can make it on time to my other commitments. It depends on your situation, but if your work knows you are in school, they will probably understand.

JohnathanH_1H

Postby JohnathanH_1H » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Work has definitely been more of a blessing rather than a hindrance for me. I have a problem with time management and procrastination, but with work it kind of forced me to make a schedule for me to follow and keep with. I work about 12-13 hours a week and at times it is stressful but also it is nice to get money in the end.

joselle barnoya 1k

Postby joselle barnoya 1k » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:51 pm

I think taking shifts earlier in the day definitely helps, so you still have the rest of the day to do things. If possible, having a job on campus helps just to cut commute time. I think giving yourself a day off, not just to study but to just relax, is also good too!

Karissa_Lee_1A

Postby Karissa_Lee_1A » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:16 pm

I have a job in Riverside county that I have to commute to so it's definitely a struggle to keep up the balance with school but in the end it's good experience so I don't mind too much.

Jess Kosz 1B

Postby Jess Kosz 1B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:46 pm

Hi! I also have a job and work 14 hours a week. It is tough managing time, I definitely agree. I usually just try to do everything school-wise that I can as soon as it is assigned just so I don’t have to worry about it as much. It’s definitely stressful and I understand you. But just believe in yourself and know you can definitely get used to your schedule!

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:34 pm

Heyyy! I feel you, I struggle with managing school and work and extracurriculars too!! I have tried my best to communicate with others about my availability and try my best to plan out my days and schedule everything like times when I study, eat, work, go to club events, time with friends, etc etc.

Kirsten Yu 2K

Postby Kirsten Yu 2K » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:25 pm

It's definitely tough! Personally, on days where I have shorter shifts, I set aside a couple of hours for studying, but on days where I'm scheduled to work 7-8 hours, I give myself a pass and allot extra time for studying on the days I have off. It can be tough managing week-to-week, so I try to plan out my shifts with syllabus deadlines as far in advance as possible.

Postby 105944027 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:50 pm

Hello! I am just here to share my experience as a working student! Personally, I feel that it is very doable as long as you set a time for your studies and most importantly, your wellbeing. I am currently in the process of getting another job on top of my other job. I don't know how I'm going to do but I know I can do it. I feel like as long as we are taking care of ourselves, we should be fine. The thought of working could be scary sometimes but it feels so rewarding when I get my paycheck; it might not be that much but knowing that I worked hard for my paycheck feels nice. On top of that, you also get experience of what it's like in the work industry (not that bad ig).

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”