Balance / Self Care Tips

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Balance / Self Care Tips

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:28 pm

How are you guys balancing studying with relax + self care time? I find it hard to do anything but study when a midterm is coming up, but there have been multiple times when I have burnt myself out right before an exam because of this. Does anyone have tips on how to allocate time to both studying and relaxing? What are some things you guys are doing to take breaks/ practice self care?

Kat Stahl 2K

Re: Balance / Self Care Tips

Postby Kat Stahl 2K » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 pm

I am making sure that I get enough sleep every day, I am also drinking a lot of water because being hydrated is really important for your health. It's also important to take breaks and just relax once in a while. Putting too much pressure on yourself can cause a lot of stress that is just unnecessary imo.

AlyssaMaynard1C

Postby AlyssaMaynard1C » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Emily_Stenzler_2H wrote:How are you guys balancing studying with relax + self care time? I find it hard to do anything but study when a midterm is coming up, but there have been multiple times when I have burnt myself out right before an exam because of this. Does anyone have tips on how to allocate time to both studying and relaxing? What are some things you guys are doing to take breaks/ practice self care?

Try and set daily quotas! I wake up around 830, give myself 2 hours to get myself together then do work all day until 7ish when I shower and really try to get everything done for the day so I can relax a bit in the evening and be social if time allows.

Simer_Shera_2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Simer_Shera_2D » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Something that I found really works for me is preparing for exams in advance so that I don't have to spend more than 1-2 hours max on a subject a day. I find it hard to retain information when I study for very long periods of time so I usually start studying 2/3 weeks in advance (depending on the material) and make sure to rotate subjects that I'm studying for after an hour or so or whenever I realize that whatever I'm doing is no longer making sense. That way, I can return to the material I wasn't able to retain with a more clear mind. Also make sure you have a good sleep schedule! No matter what you do, studying is not worth sacrificing your sleep. I've found that it's harder for me to study and function in general when I don't have a consistent sleep schedule.

Ryan_Page_1J

Postby Ryan_Page_1J » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm

This class has definitely forced me to change my study habits. I plan my studying much further in advance so I am not cramming at the end. Separating the studying and problems out also allows you to take breaks in between to do something else and get your mind off of chemistry.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:29 pm

I definitely agree with a lot of the comments above that have said having set times when you have to unplug and not study is really important. Having a set block of time where you have to unplug every day is really helpful, and I have found it makes me even more productive during the time allocated for studying.

Ryan_Kien_1L

Postby Ryan_Kien_1L » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah, it's really hard for me to stay on top of things when there seems to be a midterm every week. I try to pace myself, beforehand to not run into these issues, but when they arise, I try to get to a place where I have no option but to work.

Eric Ngo 1F

Postby Eric Ngo 1F » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Honestly, I find it a little hard to find school/life balance too. I think the best thing that has worked for me is to just meticulously plan, or at the very least set small goals per day. After I've completed them, it makes me feel proud that I finished my goals and helps me progress a bit at a time so I don't swamp myself. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming midterm!

Sana Nagori 2H

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Personally doing an absolutely poor job of it. It was much easier to do with in-person classes because there was a clear distinction between classes and your free time. I just try to do my relaxing during the day when I'm most unproductive anyway and then study at night when I feel more awake.

Jalyn Davis 3D

Postby Jalyn Davis 3D » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:57 pm

This class has definitely influenced how I balance studying and taking care of myself. I start studying much earlier so I can control the amount of hours I spend studying each day and then I can have time to do other things to relax. Having some sort of routine or study plan helps me keep on track and manage my time well.

Meredith2E

Postby Meredith2E » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:19 pm

AHH so relatable. I feel the same way, in which I tend to burnout right before an exam. I feel like it happens a lot more with zoom school than in person school. I think I've just focused too much on school, in which I havent given myself enough time to relax. Like there's always something due and another midterm to get ready for, so there really isn't a break. But lately I've been trying to like manage my time better and reserve a certain day or time for just me. Like allow Thursday to be my free day where I can to binge watch Netflix and not worry about anything being due. It certainly helps, giving myself a breather, so that I finish the week strong. And well it gives me something to look forward to.

StephanieGrigorian2J

Postby StephanieGrigorian2J » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:25 pm

I definitely find myself having the same problem. I also work a lot so finding time for myself while trying to study and do well on exams is difficult! I'm still trying to find time to relax and figure it out!

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:27 pm

I make a schedule for myself where I set alarms so, no matter what, I am forced to take breaks for myself.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:34 pm

I agree with what some other people said, I try to get my work done during the day before dinner so then afterward I can allow myself to relax while knowing that I put time into studying before.

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:35 pm

I agree with many people above that studying and trying to stay focused is really hard nowadays. What I try to do is to set aside time for my day to relax and not worry about school, but other times to do assignments and study. If you plan your day around that, instead of waiting until the last minute ( which I am guilty of), it can be very helpful to efficiently get work done! Hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:53 pm

I struggle with this a lot so I appreciate this thread a lot! Some nights you just gotta journal and put a face mask on. I also try to go outside at least once a day because it works wonders and staying inside all day all week is so easy to do nowadays.

Kaleb Tuliau 3E

Postby Kaleb Tuliau 3E » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:59 pm

I severely struggle with self care, due to practice, meetings, etc but would love to see how every one else helps fix their mental

Jasmine Yi 1G

Postby Jasmine Yi 1G » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:10 pm

I feel like it's hard to find a balance between resting enough so your body can recover from working and resting so much that you're wasting time. I'm constantly struggling to find the balance, but I think that as long as you're keeping in mind that you should be looking for this balance, it's all good.

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:19 pm

My biggest tip during exam season is to get a good amount of sleep the night before! Even if it means you don't get to study as much as you think you need to, your brain will function so much better during the test. In my experience, good sleep is much more effective the night before than last-minute cramming and it's much healthier, both physically and mentally :)

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 pm

I do mindfulness meditation every night before I go to sleep, because it helps me reflect on my day and identify the good parts of my day and places in which I need to improve :) I also value sleep a lot and I use a sleep calculator to help me plan out my nights! All you have to do is put in the time you want to wake up and then it'll give you 6 times you should go to sleep to wake up with a full night's rest. If you wanna try, here's the link: https://sleepcalculator.com/ :)

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 pm

honestly, my self care is just sleeping all day and whenever i can. it helps me so yeah

Simran Bains 2C

Postby Simran Bains 2C » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Just make sure to spend your free time on stuff that you really enjoy instead of just wasting time, so that way you can have more fun and waste less time.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:32 am

I typically stick to a schedule and have a to-do list for each day. As for relaxing and self-care, I like to go for midday walks to give myself some time to get some fresh air and clear my head for a bit during the day. I also try to get as much sleep as I can every night.

Jasmin Kumar 1G

Postby Jasmin Kumar 1G » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 am

definitely take breaks by doing something physical, like exercise or even just eating somewhere out of the house! I definitely need to take a lot of time away from my electronics when I study a lot for midterms!

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 am

Setting a bed time for myself and making sure I try to get 8 hours a night has been helping me

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:45 am

I make sure I get enough sleep every night and to take breaks when needed! Something I realized last quarter and this quarter is that if I'm burnt out, studying won't help me as much as it could because I'm not properly retaining the information. I would recommend starting your studying well in advance of the exam and do a little bit each day. This way, when the exam comes around, you won't feel as overwhelmed :)

Marley Magee 3A

Postby Marley Magee 3A » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:50 am

I like to set a half hour or an hour of time aside in the evenings to relax and do something I like, rather that just keep studying all day through. I think it's important to take a break during the day so that you're more relaxed and it reminds you that there's other things in life other than school. For me, I like to watch an episode of a show after I eat dinner as a break.

Will Pham 1J

Postby Will Pham 1J » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:31 pm

My schedule varies a lot from day to day, but I try to make sure I do certain things every day like getting enough sleep, drinking a ton of water, and getting out at least once a day to exercise. When I'm studying/working on things, I like to work in intervals of about 40 minutes, followed by an episode of something I'm watching or a snack break, and then repeat that cycle. Giving myself those breaks while studying definitely eases the stress and burnout.

George Kaleb Jimenez 1K

Postby George Kaleb Jimenez 1K » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Something I do a lot that works extremely well and helps me stay focused is sprinkling little breaks here and there throughout my day, even if it's just a little stretch or drinking some coffee. I try not to go on my phone or watch tv during these breaks cause my laptop has been giving me LOTS of screentime already :)

jia207

Postby jia207 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

Hanging out with friends after having a productive day always helps me relax, and I am sure not to discuss schoolwork with them so I can fully have a break from it.

Melody Wu 2L

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:56 pm

This quarter I took on a pretty heavy workload so I definitely understand the burnout tendency. Last quarter since I only had 3 classes, it was easy to just study a bit for like 2-3 days before the test but this quarter that did not work out very well. I think the most important thing is to be really intentional when you're doing the initial learning, because then later all you need to do is refresh on material vs. learning it again. I'm gonna start doing a little bit of planning for my finals (starting to make study guides, etc.) so I'm less overwhelmed during week 10!

For self care, I set time aside every Saturday to go on a ~3 hr bike ride listening to music and getting some fresh air & time to relax/think/have fun. During the weekdays, when I'm Zoom fatigued I play some stuff on my guitar/keyboard and that really helps. Definitely find a hobby that lets your eyes rest from electronics and make sure that you're living life too :))

Vivian Hoang 1H

Postby Vivian Hoang 1H » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Jalyn 3G wrote:I typically stick to a schedule and have a to-do list for each day. As for relaxing and self-care, I like to go for midday walks to give myself some time to get some fresh air and clear my head for a bit during the day. I also try to get as much sleep as I can every night.

Definitely agree with this! But, it’s also easier said than done unfortunately :( My lists almost never get completed.

Claudia_Danysh_2B

Postby Claudia_Danysh_2B » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:37 pm

Like someone said before, I prioritize sleep a lot in my life and I also try to do something every day that I know I'll be excited about. Even if it's something super small like eating a pbnj or watching an episode of a show at the end of the day. Having something to look forward to every day makes it easier to find motivation each day!

vanessanguyen3I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby vanessanguyen3I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:44 pm

I am in the exact same boat as you so I definitely know how I am feeling!! I know its cheesy but prioritizing health over your classes is SUPER important! I know it's easier said than done! I try to start studying for my midterms a week ahead of time so that I have enough time without feeling too stressed or rushed. Another thing I am trying to do to achieve a better work/life balance is set boundaries with my work. For ex. I am only allowed to work certain times and all the other time is reserved for relaxation!! Also, I used to avoid making a lot of plans on weekends because of school, but now I don't!!! Just remind yourself that your happiness and health matter JUST as much (if not more) than your work, and that you need to treat them with the same consideration that you treat your work!!!

Sydney Sullivan 2J

Postby Sydney Sullivan 2J » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:16 am

Dr. Lavelle says this one a lot, but exercising can help a lot! I find that if I can just get some fresh air or take a walk, it clears up my head a lot so I can think more clearly. I know it can be tempting to put off taking care of yourself, but in my experience that usually ends up hurting you in the long run.

Siwa Hwang 3G

Postby Siwa Hwang 3G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:18 am

stay hydrated, always

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 am

I feel like reading and cardio really helps!

Violet Kwan 3H

Postby Violet Kwan 3H » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 am

It is definitely hard to remember that I should take breaks when I am studying for midterms. But for self-care I usually take a walk outside or call my friends for a break from work.

Megan Sparrow 1A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Megan Sparrow 1A » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 am

This such a hard thing to balance, but I find that forming a study group really helps. Not only can they help study, but they remind you that you need to take a break when you need it. Also when you are studying with them, it doesn't feel like a hassle because you can actively take breaks that you probably wouldn't when studying alone.

Alara Aygen 3K

Postby Alara Aygen 3K » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am

Taking walks and watching my favorite shows really help me to ease my mind!

Kristine_Aramyan_3K

Postby Kristine_Aramyan_3K » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:09 pm

workout or mediate. watch fave show, talk to people you love. listen to good music.

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Keeping a to-do list for the day really keeps you on top of everything. Ever since I starting making a to-do list for my daily tasks, it's been much easier managing time for each task for the day.

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:19 pm

I recommend that you set intervals for studying and in between those intervals you do something to relax!

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 pm

Reading (recreational reading) and excercise are my best self-care tips!

Kristine_Aramyan_3K

Postby Kristine_Aramyan_3K » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 pm

catch up on sleep, eat well, talk to friends

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:45 pm

Sleeping and finding a routine is a good way to practice self care. Routines help you find a flow in your day and help get the easy tasks done without much thinking.

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 pm

Yeah, I understand how you feel. Before, I would spend every single day either studying for an upcoming exam or just catching up on assignments and homework without actually taking a break. This led to me burning out a lot more as the days went by until I started setting up a schedule to at least have one day where I take care of myself by watching any tv shows or movies. This has honestly led to me feeling a lot better and more motivated to do my work.

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:48 am

Sana Nagori 2H wrote:Personally doing an absolutely poor job of it. It was much easier to do with in-person classes because there was a clear distinction between classes and your free time. I just try to do my relaxing during the day when I'm most unproductive anyway and then study at night when I feel more awake.

This is literally whats happening to me rn. I feel like I can't focus in the day because of all my meetings and the night is the only time I can have uninterrupted study time but my sleep schedule is totally messed up now!

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 am

Exercise your body and mind. ---Professor Lavelle

Namratha Gujje

Postby Namratha Gujje » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:57 am

I honestly suck at making time for myself and relaxing when I have a lot of things on my plate. What I usually try to do is give myself the nights off. I will work all day, but then stop working around 7ish and use the rest of the day to do things that make me happy. Since it's quarantine that usually means doing my nails while watching a show. Usually that show is Teen Wolf. At the end of the day, you should give yourself at least an hour a day to take a break and do something for yourself. That is something that I am currently trying to work on.

Laura 3l

Postby Laura 3l » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:06 pm

I try to go outside for a couple hours a day and just breathe fresh air and let the sun hit me :)

Valerie Tran 2B

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 pm

These tips have helped me a lot especially since I'm someone who just works without stopping until everything is done which has been really bad for my mental health, so thanks to everyone for some great tips.

LeahSWM 2E

Postby LeahSWM 2E » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:03 pm

I never do work on Fridays. I reserve that day for me and my needs. whether that's giving myself a pedicure or eating some good food and watching a movie. You are just as important as school and work and whatever else you're doing. Don't feel bad for doing things that make you happy!

uclakat

Postby uclakat » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Breathe in the weed, breathe out the BS.

Jacquelyn Challis 2B

Postby Jacquelyn Challis 2B » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 pm

uclakat wrote:Breathe in the weed, breathe out the BS.

HAHAH this is awesome. Thank you for the tip:)

Kaleb Tuliau 3E

Postby Kaleb Tuliau 3E » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Basically anime, food and exercise! As an athlete it's great to take your frustration out through activities

Kiara Phillips 3L

Postby Kiara Phillips 3L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Schedule, schedule, and schedule! Be realistic when scheduling also include breaks in your tasks. Also stick to it! Even if you fall off for a couple of days, be nice to yourself and keep pushing!

Josh Chou 3K
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Josh Chou 3K » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:28 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have a gym open up near me, so I've been consistently going and exercising...definitely taking Dr. Lavelle's advice to heart. It's nice to just take my mind off of school and focus on whatever exercise I'm doing. Plus, it's makes me feel like I can do something challenging, and it gives me the motivation to crank out schoolwork in the evening.

Postby 005137088 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:12 am

I haven’t really found anything at all this quarter, but a lot the things I found on this thread seem very helpful.

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:35 am

It is always important to be compassionate towards yourself, even when you feel unproductive. If you are having a hard day, it is okay to make space for yourself. When I am feeling particularly stressed out, I like to take a shower, drink some tea, listen to some music, and recharge. In order to get work done, I try to get enough sleep every night, plan out my schedule, and set goals for myself.

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Exercise does wonders. Even if you don't have a lot of time, even a short jog or walk can make you feel so much better. Drink a LOT of water. Try to eat healthily so your blood sugar doesn't crash. Make time to be around people that make you happy. :) This reduces my stress the most.

Naman Jain 3F

Postby Naman Jain 3F » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:08 pm

I try to make daily schedules for myself, almost hour by hour, to just plan out my days, especially before exams. I integrate breaks into my schedule to help ensure that I'm not studying too much and have some time to myself. Also, while studying, try using the Pomodoro technique or variations of it! I've found it helps my attention.

mmcqueen

Postby mmcqueen » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:09 pm

I take naps alot, its a better brain break then scrolling through tik tok or something else on your phone screen. A short nap can be really productive!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”