How to Reduce Nervousness before getting results

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Uyen Trinh 3C

How to Reduce Nervousness before getting results

Postby Uyen Trinh 3C » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm

This is slightly out of the scope of Chemistry but I was wondering what you guys do when waiting for your results, especially when you start to second guess what you did and self-doubt kicks in.

I'm kind of blanking. I don't remember what I did during the test and feel a little nervous about the results. Even when family members thoughtfully ask me how my midterm went, I feel uneasy because it reestablishes the uncertainty.

Nick Pascua 2L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: How to Reduce Nervousness before getting results

Postby Nick Pascua 2L » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:04 pm

Hey!

I simply try to not think about it. There is nothing you can do to change your score until you see it so you should definitely try to divert your attention to something else! It doesn't help your mental state to stress about it. Lastly, don't worry you're not alone! Best of luck :)

jasmineculilap_3F

Postby jasmineculilap_3F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:11 pm

There's nothing that can really be done since the test is over, so I try and take my mind off it by playing games or watching shows. Try to relax and do something you like to get less stressed.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Right now I am rewatching all of the MCU movies in timeline order on Disney+, it has taken my mind off all the worrying!

Irene Chang 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Irene Chang 2F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm

I also just try my best to forget about the test a couple of days afterward. Of course it is hard not to think about it the day of, but try your best and focus on other things after your test day :) I like to treat myself to a good meal and maybe also buy myself a drink for doing the best I could!

Lauren Strickland 1B

Postby Lauren Strickland 1B » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:33 pm

I try to keep myself busy so I don't think about the test. I also rewatch comfort shows to relax.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:35 pm

I am the same way! I just try to remind myself that the test now is out of my hands and that I did the best I could. Good luck!

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:52 pm

After any test I try to remember that nothing I think about after will change the result of the test that has already been turned in.

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 am

I can definitely relate to being nervous before getting a test result so what I do is try to distract myself. If that means watching a movie or hanging out with my sister. Just not thinking about it is always good for me.

FrancescaHawkins2H

Postby FrancescaHawkins2H » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:33 am

I definitely struggle with being nervous between taking tests and receiving my results. Fortunately, I have found that lately I am busy enough that that stress is diminished by the stress of other classes/tests/assignments/etc haha. In all seriousness though, I have found that staying busy can be a good outlet for stress and nervousness. Also, don't forget to allow yourself to feel the relief of having the test finally be over!

Megan Sparrow 1A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Megan Sparrow 1A » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:31 am

The struggle is real with these next results. Just remember that you did all you could to prep and know that there's nothing you can do to change what happens next. I usually focus on doing other homework (I had a lot backed up in order to study for this test), which distracts you for a few days until you just forget and wait for the email letting us know the results our out.

Anna Yakura 2F

Postby Anna Yakura 2F » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:41 am

I completely understand what you mean, in fact I ask my parents not to ask how exams went until after I get my results LOL. Personally, I would try my best not to think about it. Immerse yourself in other classes for a bit, watch shows you like!

Alara Aygen 3K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Alara Aygen 3K » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:11 am

I feel the same way! Reading these helped me, so thank you!

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Thankfully, my parents don't tend to ask and wish me good luck instead haha! Anyhow, try to not make it a habit of checking myucla, as it is bad for your mental health. Make a plan for the week and concentrate on your work, which is what I usually do :)

EmilyC_3D

Postby EmilyC_3D » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm

This is a really good question and the answer really depends on an individual and how they deal with nervousness. I know that, for me, I can get a lot of anxiety when I am expecting my test results to come out. One thing that helps me is to find ways to distract myself that don't require too much thinking (working on busy work for another class, listening to music, watching something) whenever I start feeling too worried. I've also learned to change my attitude afterwards and try to remember that worrying now won't change my results.

Marley Magee 3A

Postby Marley Magee 3A » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm

I just like to remind myself that no matter what happens, I tried my best on the test and there's really nothing I can do about it right now. Worrying over what the score will be is not going to change anything, so it's best to just relax and let whatever's going to happen happen.

Lea Ozdere 2G

Postby Lea Ozdere 2G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 pm

I'm the type of person that would rather know if I got something right or wrong immediately after I take a test. So in regards to this, if there was a question that I was confused on and just guessed or wasn't super confident in my answer, I will continue working on it even after the exam until I get an answer. For me, I'd rather know what I got and didn't get right away, even if I got something wrong. All in all, I would say focus on the fact that the stress of studying for and taking the exam is over and now you can be more relaxed moving forward. Grades and numbers never define you. Also, set your expectations realistically so you are not disappointed.

Akriti Ratti 1H

Postby Akriti Ratti 1H » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 am

I felt super nervous right after I finished the exam, but I had some other exams to study for, so keeping myself busy helped me take my mind off of this midterm!

Giselle_zamora_1L

Postby Giselle_zamora_1L » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:51 am

I remember feeling really happy after the exam and then thinking maybe I found it easy because I did so badly. I recommend relaxing, it's normal to feel anxious. Next, if you have time, take a nap, sleep, watch a movie or do anything that relaxes you! However, in the weeks between getting results I just keep busy, I'm sure with the quarter system there's plenty to do, focus on that, the result will come on their own.

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 am

Try really hard to not think about it. What's done is done and you might as well use that energy for your other classes and new material for this class.

John Pham 3L
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby John Pham 3L » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 am

Like a lot of the other responses, I try to keep myself busy with other things and keep my mind of the exam.
You don't have much control over what you did on the exam so it's best to just wait for your score once it comes out.

JonathanSung_2G

Postby JonathanSung_2G » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 am

I also don't really remember test questions that well after I complete the test and turn it in. Afterward, I don't really think about the test and just continue to focus on my work for other classes and prepare for the next exams. I try to remain positive since no matter what I do, I cannot change my answers after the test is turned in. Every time I finish a test, I want to believe that I gave it my best shot since I studied hard. The day the results come in, I try to keep the same composure as well.

Brian Bui 3H

Postby Brian Bui 3H » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13 am

I'd try to not think about it much. Realize that there's nothing you can do it about it and it's all in the past =)

Vanessa Perez

Postby Vanessa Perez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:29 am

Although I sometimes hate when people say there’s nothing much you can do now, it’s true! And if you are feeling nervous just now u tried your best and there’s still another opportunity to redeem yourself

Sara_Lim_2C

Postby Sara_Lim_2C » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am

I'm the same way! Sometimes my friends will say that there's nothing I can do about it anymore, which helps a little, but it usually doesn't take away the feeling that I could've done better. I still feel guilty about my past self, as if I didn't try hard or study enough. So for me, I just put on some of my favorite loud music and try to think about anything else!

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 pm

I feel the same way! I try not to think about it because what's done is done and we can't really do anything about it anymore. I've been telling myself that I could use the energy to study harder for the final instead of worrying too. The best thing we can do for ourselves right now is to focus on what we can do to improve for the future and not what we can't change from the past. That sounds really cheesy but it's honestly very true :D We got this!

SamayaJoshi1A

Postby SamayaJoshi1A » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:48 pm

You should just pour yourself into other work... sounds bad but it helps.

Melody Wu 2L

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 pm

I think it's normal to feel nervous - just shows that you care about the work that you're doing which is good! It's inevitable and for me it doesn't really fully go away until the scores come out. It's one of those things that's out of your hands after you turn it in, and the lack of control over the consequences feels scary. But recognize that you did your best with what you could at that time, and try to channel your nervous energy into something you do have control over - whether it's schoolwork, or a hobby you can do with your hands. It helps me to go on a bike ride and sweat it out or work on a guitar piece because it helps me regain that sense of stability/control. Huge ramble but I hope this kinda helps!

Norah Gidanian 3D

Postby Norah Gidanian 3D » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi!
I usually just try to remind myself that theres not much I can do about it and that it will end up being okay. Try taking your mind off of it by occupying yourself with other things.

Summer_Corona 3L

Postby Summer_Corona 3L » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:14 pm

I usually try to just keep myself busy so that I don't think about it. If I'm not doing any work then I'll watch some of my favorite shows or look at social media.

Crystal Yu 1D
Been upvoted: 12 times

Postby Crystal Yu 1D » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 pm

I think it's best to not worry about it after the fact because you've already done all you've can! Try not to stress yourself out because the results will be the same regardless or whether you worry or not. I totally understand the nervousness though, and if you find it difficult to stop thinking about it, try to distract yourself with activities you enjoy! You've got this! :)

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 pm

It's easier said than done, but I try not to think about it or else I stress myself out. Going outside and talking to friends helps me get my mind off of school.

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Hey, I usually just try to focus on other things and keep myself busy so that I don't think about the test or the results that much. I also remind myself that once I submit the test its over and I cannot do anything to change my result for that previous test and just look forward and what I can do for the upcoming one.

Cooper_Geralds_3B

Postby Cooper_Geralds_3B » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi! I usually try to distract myself and focus on getting ahead in the class or dedicating time to other classes. At the end of the day, once you submit an exam, the numerical value is out of your control but the best thing to do is to stay up to date on the upcoming materials in order to definitely improve your performance on the next exam!

Nina Fukui 2J

Postby Nina Fukui 2J » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:07 am

I just forget about it hope for the best. In the meantime, I catch up on some TV shows that I couldn't watch because of my cram sesh or do something fun!

Postby 505598869 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:48 am

I can't help but be nervous because after every test when I think I have done very well I have been wrong. And this time I didn't even feel like I did well..

Mackenzie Van Val 3E

Postby Mackenzie Van Val 3E » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi! A lot of times after a midterm, I will go through and trying to double-check my answers on the test and give myself an idea of how many I got right or wrong. I've personally had to stop doing this because of stress, but if it worries you to not remember what you did on the test, this can be a good way to center yourself and see that you really did do work during the exam. I also find that treating myself to something small, whether it's an episode of a show or a coffee, is super relaxing!

jasonfarrales3D

Postby jasonfarrales3D » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:37 pm

This feeling of yours is definitely relatable. In order to combat these emotions, I always tell myself that at the end of the day, worrying about the score will not change anything. Be glad that the exam is over, and reward yourself for all the hard work and dedication you put into studying for it.

Andrew Dao 3C

Postby Andrew Dao 3C » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Personally I just remember that no matter how much you worry, once you turned in your exam you cannot do anything to change it so just take some breaths and move on.

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:41 pm

I usually try to forget that I took an exam and remind myself that it's done and I can't change anything. With this, I begin to relax and try to move on from it by doing self-care and relaxing. Take care of yourself first before anything else.

Emily Jacobo 1C

Postby Emily Jacobo 1C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 am

The best way I get over the stress of a exam grade is to just simply distract yourself with other stuff. whether it be another class or a hobby. I find that if you sit and worry about an exam after it’s done, it’s only causing you more harm and stress, it’s done with. Remember, one bad test grade does not define you.

Valerie Tran 2B

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:57 am

Please don't think about what could be because it has already passed. Try not to be regretful and focus on the accomplishments. There's nothing left to do but relax until you get results so keep yourself away from schoolwork and do some fun things. Music also helps to block out anxious thoughts.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:16 am

I go by the whole, "If you can do something about it, don't worry. If you can't do something about it, don't worry." Kind of helps with the whole anxiety surrounding something like this.

Hannah Chang 3K

Postby Hannah Chang 3K » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:38 am

Lillian wrote:I go by the whole, "If you can do something about it, don't worry. If you can't do something about it, don't worry." Kind of helps with the whole anxiety surrounding something like this.

Nice one. I'm gonna try practicing this mindset.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:48 am

Hannah Chang 3K wrote:
Lillian wrote:I go by the whole, "If you can do something about it, don't worry. If you can't do something about it, don't worry." Kind of helps with the whole anxiety surrounding something like this.

Nice one. I'm gonna try practicing this mindset.

HAH! I know right??

Giselle_zamora_1L

Postby Giselle_zamora_1L » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 am

I usually dont reduce nervousness, but just breathe and remember that no matter what, its all over in a couple of hours

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:15 am

I just think about how soon it will be over and try to not think about it too much. Remember how many times you have had a test and you have always been ok after

Postby 505598869 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:30 am

What's done is done... after your test there is no point in stressing over your score.. it will come eventually.. in the meantime you should live your best life and not think about it

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 am

I would say just remember that you did your best and that’s all you could’ve done.

TiffanyBrownfield 2I

Postby TiffanyBrownfield 2I » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Same as many other people here, I try to avoid thinking about it. There's no use in worrying about it if it's already past so you might as well make the most of your time before the results are actually out. I know it sounds a lot harder than I'm making it out to be, but as long as you're not consciously trying to think about it you'll be good.

Ryan Agcaoili 2E

Postby Ryan Agcaoili 2E » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:46 pm

I always try to find a way to distract myself by doing something you enjoy doing. Hope this helps!

Seraphina Joseph 1C

Postby Seraphina Joseph 1C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:49 pm

Yeah I hate when people ask how my midterm went right after, because I'm not good at telling if a did well or bad sometimes.

Maryeli Garay 2H

Postby Maryeli Garay 2H » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:58 pm

I honestly have just decided to forget it ever happened, I’m currently binge watching OITNB for the third time before I continue with finals tmrw:( So I would say just try to watch a comfort movie or spend time with your friends to take your mind off things

Ethan Laureano 3H

Postby Ethan Laureano 3H » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:43 pm

Just know that regardless of what score you get, it won't define you. If you do see a score you do not like, just know that you'll forget about that score months from now. It is not the end all be all! As long as you know you put in your best work, you should be proud.

Brandon Gruender 3F

Postby Brandon Gruender 3F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:45 pm

I feel like the easiest way to not be nervous is to not think about it. The test is done and over with, and whatever happens now wont affect your score. There is nothing you can do now so being patient and relaxed is key.

Levon Grigoryan

Postby Levon Grigoryan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:01 pm

Hey,
I suggest you not worry about it, as we usually tend to forget that we took a test. And at this point, there is no way to go back. So just keep yourself busy and stress less, because at the end of the day, it's just one class. Stay Safe!

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 pm

I simply just try not to dwell on it and keep it out of my mind. Worrying will not have any effect on your score

LeahSWM 2E

Postby LeahSWM 2E » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:47 pm

A wise woman once told me to only worry about something 30 minutes before a big event, and then after literally forget about it lol. So that's what I do, I worried enough already so honestly what happens, happens.

Postby 005137088 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:27 am

Don’t worry about it after. What’s done is done and you got into UCLA for a reason so believe in yourself. You are smart and everything will fine

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:52 am

I always remind myself that the results of my exam do not necessarily reflect the effort (or even the amount of knowledge) I had when taking it. If possible, try not to compare your results with others or open your results around others. Stay kind and compassionate to yourself!

Postby 305692127 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:34 pm

I believe everyone at some point has those nervous jitters in which they are afraid of performing badly on a test. I get that feeling even when I have studied all that I could and prepared myself for the test, because you just never know. We all want to do good and pass, but I believe that after taking a hard exam you should go do worthing that relaxes you, because you already did the hard part now it's just a matter of time until you get your results back. You can't change the past, but you can always work for a better future.

Kirsten Yu 2K

Postby Kirsten Yu 2K » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:32 pm

I used to have a lot of post-exam stress, but what I realized is that once you've completed and turned in the exam, it's officially out of your hands. You've already done what you can, so there's no use wasting your time/energy/mental wellbeing stressing over how you did. Once you let it go, you'll find yourself in a much better mental state

Jenny Dis1D

Postby Jenny Dis1D » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:19 pm

Try not to think about it since the hard part is already over and you already took the exam! Just relax while you wait for the results. I try not to overthink about it by not trying to remember the exact questions, pondering about the questions that I struggled on, like whether I should've put this answer instead of this other one, etc. It also helps not to discuss it in depth and talk to other students about what you guys put as the answers.

Postby 405718358 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:57 am

Usually I try to remind myself that what ever the outcomeI know I did my best, and if I didn't get the score that I wanted then I know I just need more practice and extra help in order to reach the level of mastery from what ever the subject may be; and not let the score define who i am. I take a few deep breaths and then proceed to open the scores

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”