How do you deal with burnout?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jenaye Brelland 2I

How do you deal with burnout?

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:12 pm

This quarter has been pretty tough and I have been in burnout for the majority of it. How do you guys deal with burnout and how do you regain your motivation to do work?

Sunny Wu 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: How do you deal with burnout?

Postby Sunny Wu 3A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 pm

Recently I've been feeling pretty burnt out too. One way I motivate myself to work is to force myself to sit at my workspace and use the pomodoro method. I feel that having a timer while I study forces me to stay there and work the whole duration. Then when I'm done for the day I make sure to exercise and relax :)

https://pomofocus.io/

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:23 pm

I was feeling the burnout a second ago. Personally, I need a lot of rest and just separation from school for a few hours, maybe a day. At these times, the most I do is look at emails to make sure I'm not missing some deadline but aside from that school mentally doesn't exist. To get back into schoolwork, I usually set rewards for myself like "I can watch an episode of X show if I finish Y assignment", etc. to motivate myself. Preventing burnout while working is also important and I often remind myself that taking a quick break for a small moment is better than being burned out for the entirety of next week.

ALee_1J

Postby ALee_1J » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:24 pm

I try to have a set time every day to myself (no homework or studying during this time) to destress or relax. Like I set aside at least two hours a day for myself that is strictly reserved for doing fun stuff and stuff that I wanna do. You can do selfcare during this time or watch a quick episode or two of your favorite show. But as soon as that time it up, you need to return to work! I set my break time during the afternoon so doing this gets me motivated to work through the day and makes me more focused when I do work at night.

I would also recommend that you take less classes next quarter! Online school makes it really tempting to overload yourself with classes but it's really not worth it to burn yourself out. Even if the workload may be less and the times are more convenient, you still need to factor in the time that it takes to finish all of the work.

Yashvi Reddy 1H

Postby Yashvi Reddy 1H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for asking this question. I am grateful for the advice people wrote above! I also agree with the pomodoro timer method! It has been helpful to me this quarter. There's also an app I heard of called Flora that motivates you to stay off your phone, I would give that a try as well. Good luck with your studies and finals! Sending you all some good vibes!!

Grecia Velasco 1G

Postby Grecia Velasco 1G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Jenaye Brelland 2I wrote:This quarter has been pretty tough and I have been in burnout for the majority of it. How do you guys deal with burnout and how do you regain your motivation to do work?

Just try your best. I just tell myself "Come on, Grace. You just have to pass to graduate come onnnnn". But if you're pre-med I see how more stressing it can be. I suggest taking it easy, trying to cover as much material as you can to prepare for the next test and make sure you do the last sapling so at least you have 10 more points. Good luck!

TLDR: I force myself because I want to graduate. Drink some water and have some snacks while studying!!

Kiana Tashakori 1D

Postby Kiana Tashakori 1D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm

I really like using a planner to split up the work I have to do. It makes it easier to manage everything and keep myself from burning out because I can complete smaller tasks over time rather than having a huge amount of work to complete at once.

Pierce Newman 1A

Postby Pierce Newman 1A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:22 pm

I use a planner loosely and read emails to keep up with things and make sure my deadlines are all set, but other than that I am feeling burnt out and it seems like school is getting more and more tedious and occupies none of my headspace aside from when it is absolutely necessary. Every once in a while I feel invigorated but overall its getting tough to have that same desire to learn as before. Unfortunate for now, but once we all get back into the swing of real life, we are going to be so ready for what this school and education has to offer. I have to admit it is hard to practice the positive attitude I just preached, and day to day can be pretty difficult and monotonous with all my friends at their schools. All I'm saying is everyone is feeling this way, and no you're not alone.

josephspindler2H

Postby josephspindler2H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 pm

To help with burnout, I like to go on walks or runs. Being outside and exercising can be a great help. Also leaving wherever you work for just a little can help as well.

Ryan_Kien_1L

Postby Ryan_Kien_1L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 pm

Honestly, it's really hard. For me, I make sure to leave a little bit of time to myself every day to keep myself motivated.

Taylor K 2D

Postby Taylor K 2D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm

I try my best to space out my school work with self care/free time. I know that I get burnout a lot more when I study for long blocks of time, especially when it is all one subject. I find I do a lot better when I divide study time and space it out/alternate between subjects more frequently.

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:28 pm

I've been dealing with burnout by making sure I don't cram all of my study work in one day. Sometimes I spend way too much time in one day studying for this class, but ever since I've been spreading out the workload on days throughout the week it has been much less burdening.

Jalaia Jackson 2G

Postby Jalaia Jackson 2G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:39 pm

I feel like one way to deal with it, is to set goals for the day and give yourself a reward based on what you've accomplished. Also, make sure you have at least one full day a week to yourself, where you do everything but work. That way the next day you'll feel much more renewed.

Joel Meza 3I

Postby Joel Meza 3I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:09 pm

I think the best way to deal with burnout is to go outside. Being locked up at home doing work or spending hours at your computer isn't good for your mental. I would suggest going out for a drive, some exercise (even if you just take a walk), or go get some food or a treat. Listening to music helps a lot for me; I couldn't live without it.

Brianna Martilla 1C

Postby Brianna Martilla 1C » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Wow, I love everyone's responses. This is something I struggle with a lot, especially this quarter for some reason. I find myself procrastinating on simple tasks, so I try to get rid of the pressure to do those tasks by giving me a time limit that is easily attainable. For example, if I have two assignments that would normally take 3 hours, I give myself 4 or 5 hours so that I don't feel the pressure to be constantly working. This seems counterproductive, but if I didn't do this I would never get started. I also have been dedicating time to myself to workout, read, or watch Netflix.

Audrey Han 3L

Postby Audrey Han 3L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:37 pm

I completely struggle with burnout, especially because I was expecting to be in a whole new environment with new opportunities this year, and dealing with the same issues at home that I was trying to get away from is a huge mental barrier when it comes to motivation. My "remedy" to burnout is being kind to myself. It's really easy to get upset over a bad grade but it's even easier to forget that the situation we're all in is harsh on our mental health and our academic success, so it's important to remember that we're doing our best with the circumstances and that's enough.

AHUNT_1A

Postby AHUNT_1A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Most definitely have been trying to get in about an hour of outdoor time before I begin any school work. and then taking breaks in-between after completing assignments.

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48 pm

I try to set reasonable goals for the day and give myself breaks often. Everyday I take a longer break during lunch to watch tv with my roommates. Some days I get a lot of work done and other days I barely do anything. On days where I'm feeling super unmotivated, going outside helps me a lot.

Charlotte Adams 1A

Postby Charlotte Adams 1A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:50 pm

I schedule my day in advance and make sure to at least give myself an hour of down time.

Sana Nagori 2H

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:52 pm

I am currently not dealing with it LMAO

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:01 pm

Seeing some of these answers was really nice. Personally, I haven't found what really works to help me through burnout, but I try to schedule time to talk to friends or family (about random stuff, their lives, play games, whatever really) to momentarily distract myself from school.

Tam Nguyen 2B

Postby Tam Nguyen 2B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:08 pm

Going outside for me has always been a good reliever from burnout. Whenever I feel like I want to just headslam into my desk from working, I grab my dog and do an hour and a half walk while listening to music to just get my mind off of stress. Once I come back, I'm a lot more relaxed. So maybe this method might work for others too.

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:20 pm

I tend to take small breaks in between, or I switch from one class to another. I do this so that I am not getting tired of just one subject and burning out motivation to keep up with it.

Melanie Lin 3E

Postby Melanie Lin 3E » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 pm

I have definitely been feeling burnt out these days. My biggest factor for relieving stress has actually just been regular exercise. Just like Lavelle always says: Exercise your mind AND body. As for just resting I also just watch some Youtube/Twitch.

Eric Ngo 1F

Postby Eric Ngo 1F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:36 pm

I think for me, finding other hobbies and doing stuff I care about with friends to balance out the stress of school has really helped just keep me sane.

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:40 pm

I tend to schedule out my day and make sure to add in some breaks. When spacing out my classwork I try not to spend too much time on one subject because I tend to lose focus. It is important to take breaks even if you have many assignments to complete.

vanessanguyen3I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby vanessanguyen3I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:52 pm

I felt this so hard!!! but honestly something that really helped me is getting into a routine, since you can't count yourself to always have the motivation to start work. I like to make a to-do list and separate my tasks into things that I HAVE to get done today and things I would LIKE to get done today. When I don't really feel motivated, I tell myself that I only have to do the things that I have to do. Usually that gets me into the flow of working and then I complete more than I expected. Another thing that really helps me is working with friends! I'll facetime my friends and we'll mute each other while we study/watch lectures. If you schedule time with a friend you are less likely to not work since you don't want to cancel. Also, it's really nice to have someone by your side so homework/assignments/studying aren't as stressful!!

Meredith2E

Postby Meredith2E » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:58 pm

The burnout is real. It has been very exhausting lately to focus on class and do schoolwork. I feel like it helps a lot when I stay organized and break down everything I need to get done. By telling myself to do half of the sapling hw by a certain day and then sticking to my to-do list, I find myself being pretty productive (even if it is for a short amount of time lol).

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Burnout is definitely a real thing and can be something extremely hard to avoid. I usually try to find ways to destress and find things that I enjoy that I can distract my mind from.

Postby 805295074 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:41 pm

When I burnout it is pretty hard to get back into work mode. So, I promise myself that I will take one day out of the week where I do whatever I want. This usually motivates to continue working during the week.

Mahi Kabra 2F

Postby Mahi Kabra 2F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:45 pm

I think just taking breaks where you don't even think about schoolwork etc. really helps! Don't feel guilty about taking these breaks because you'll be more productive/efficient after it. :)

Annika Tamaki 1E

Postby Annika Tamaki 1E » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:49 pm

I take a day off from school work every week. It's super helpful to avoid feeling overwhelmed and too stressed. I usually spend it catching up on sleep and other non-school responsibilities, while spending time with family! Good luck, you've got this!

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm

I have been going through this and it has been difficult to stay motivated. However, I am starting to feel more motivated because I took a day break from school and I made a study plan in my planner which has really been helping! Hope this helps

TiffanyBrownfield 2I

Postby TiffanyBrownfield 2I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:13 pm

I'm in the same boat, I've been burnt out for the majority of this quarter. Although I'm no expert, I typically try to stay focused by reserving a day or two specifically for work. I'll set up all my assignments and papers in bed and just focus on trying to reach a certain point, with snacks and a cup of tea or something. I'll take some breaks in between for meals and stuff, but that's basically how I get myself to work.

Hana Sigsbee 3B

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:18 pm

I try to find time to relax and destress and try to get in a mindset where I am not even thinking about school because if you're trying to relax and you're just thinking about all the work you have to do the whole time it's not really relaxing.

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:19 pm

I just relax by playing video games, watching tv shows/ anime, it reading. Just relaxing helps deal with burnout well.

Britney Tran IJ

Postby Britney Tran IJ » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:20 pm

taking a day out of the week to just chill and detach yourself from schoolwork can be really helpful!!

Julianna_flores3E

Postby Julianna_flores3E » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 pm

I try to make a part of my day not school-related. If I let school take the entire day it would, but If you do something that you like I find it easier to focus and turn out quality work.

Naomi Hernandez-Ramirez 1J

Postby Naomi Hernandez-Ramirez 1J » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:36 pm

I’ve been feeling the burnout alright! What try to do is space out my days give myself breaks a create schedules so that by 4 I’m done with my day.

Isabel_Eslabon_2G

Postby Isabel_Eslabon_2G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:41 pm

I don't know if this works for everyone, but I usually feel burnt out if I do a lot of work in one sitting without break (sometimes I get a burst of motivation and ride that wave until I can't work any longer). Afterwards I am unmotivated to work for a very long time.

Especially because everything's online, I make sure to get up, walk around, and make sure I'm fed & not thirsty. It helps to set goals like "If I finish this one assignment, I can finish for the night" or "If I keep at this homework for 30 more minutes, I have a 10 minute break to get up and have a nice snack".

If you can, try to get your eyes off of a screen when you're on your break. For me, looking at screens for too long makes me feel really tired.

Truman Chong Dis 3G

Postby Truman Chong Dis 3G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:53 pm

I've been feeling really burnt out recently. I find that hanging out with friends (socially distant of course) and also finding time to relax and sleep helps a lot. I didn't really do this this quarter, but taking time for your self and compartmentalizing work away from relaxation helps out a lot too.

Gwirnowski 3B

Postby Gwirnowski 3B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:56 pm

Make sure you aren’t putting yourself down because your feeling burnt out or doing bad. You need to keep being active and happy and doing things that keep you motivated. Definitely set aside time to not think about school at all and do something you love. You will do a lot better in school if you keep your life diverse and not spend every moment stressing about classes.

Natalie 3k

Postby Natalie 3k » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:00 pm

It has been extremely difficult for me to stay motivated as well, which is pretty normal during times like these. I've noticed something that helps me is not being too hard on myself when I don't get as much work done as I hoped, because when I am it discourages me from working again and puts me in a bad mindset. Understanding that it is okay and normal to take breaks when you feel it is necessary even if you haven't done a ton a work helps to prevent school from feeling so negative :)

Postby 705512695 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:00 pm

I make sure to have one thing i like to do throughout the day that is sort of a escape. For me is my workout and lifting weights, and i set it at the end of the day so i have something to look forward to and motivation to finish all i gotta finish in order to get to that reward

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm

Taking a break to do things that you enjoy really helps with motivation I feel!

Sofia Azmat 1I

Postby Sofia Azmat 1I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 pm

The reason for my burnout is because I feel like I'm not doing enough work so I end up pushing myself too hard. Give yourself a break, and if you feel like you can't afford to have one it might be when you need one the most. Don't be afraid to ask your professors for help when you need it, especially now. Another thing that's helped me personally is finding old hobbies I used to enjoy and trying them out again because it calms me down and that is enough to help me start my work again. Just don't push yourself too hard and hopefully things will turn out okay, and if you've made mistakes or struggled a lot because of your burnout that's okay too, you'll be alright. I believe in you, and good luck this next week :)

Ziyan Peng 3A

Postby Ziyan Peng 3A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:23 pm

Talking to & hanging out with friends (safely) and just taking my mind aside from what's causing the burnout for a second to recollect my energy have really been helping me. I've found that exercising makes such a difference, although it might be hard to incorporate that into your routine at first. You're definitely not alone and I understand how hard it can be. Hang in there :)

Mehreen 3I

Postby Mehreen 3I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:29 pm

I definitely struggle with this too and understand where you are coming from! I try to take some time out of the day for myself and usually will call up a friend to catch up and feel peace of mind. Also, it's always nice to find hobbies and step away from your schoolwork every once in a while (mine is dance and it helps me release). Hope this helped!

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:58 pm

I deal with burnouts especially since the pandemic started, and using a planner helped me a lot to overcome them! I’ve tried physical journals, but they never worked for me, so if that’s the case for you too, I recommend digital ones! I use Notion and it’s life changing. Try to plan things out while also giving yourself a cushion just in case you get distracted. I find that helpful since I get upset when I put too much and don’t finish. Lastly, don’t forget to give yourself a break when you need it :) if you’re really tired and unmotivated, giving yourself time to relax and promising to yourself that you’ll come back better, rather than forcing yourself, is better when it comes to learning, or at least that’s how it is for me. Good luck with everything!

Juliana Rosales 1H

Postby Juliana Rosales 1H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:01 pm

I ignore all of my responsibilities, let my grades drop and online shopping.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:12 pm

I’ve been feeling pretty burnt out and unmotivated to do school work lately, but just trying to maintain an overall balance between school and social life/self-care works best for me.

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 pm

I've been really burned out too (mostly b/c everything's online), but I usually try to give myself small rewards for doing stuff or just tell myself that I need to at least get a certain amount of stuff done by the end of the day. Checklists have been helpful for me too.

LovepreetSran_3H

Postby LovepreetSran_3H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 pm

I'll normally play some videogames or go outside for walk to deal with burnouts.

StephanieGrigorian2J

Postby StephanieGrigorian2J » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:26 pm

I generally just convince myself that we're almost done with the quarter and try to just take a day to myself to try and deal with burnout!

Nicole Critzer 2L

Postby Nicole Critzer 2L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:26 pm

I deal with burnout by setting a day aside during the week to just relax, if there is too much work I keep the easy work for that day then once finished try to relax by eating or binging some Netflix.

Lauren Strickland 1B

Postby Lauren Strickland 1B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 pm

I try to take breaks and go on walks when I'm feeling burnt out.

Karen Zheng_2K

Postby Karen Zheng_2K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Honestly for me taking small breaks between and doing a hobby on an off day helps a lot, especially with online classes :///

Sarah Hernandez 1F

Postby Sarah Hernandez 1F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:33 pm

I think I manage burnout by making sure I at least stay productive, so if I'm not doing schoolwork I try to work on my hobbies. I like to bullet journal so that's kind of doubly useful since once I'm done I can use it to plan out my time and get important due dates down.

Janna Shakiba

Postby Janna Shakiba » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:36 pm

I'd recommend that every morning you figure out what you NEED to get done that day, and what you want to get done that day. The key here is to recognize that you will live if you don't get everything you want to get done today done. When you take a second to think about it, there are few things we actually need to get done every day.

Rayna Irving 2C

Postby Rayna Irving 2C » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37 pm

I've been feeling the same way for a while too. The best advice I could give you is to try and go outside even if it's only for a couple minutes just to get some fresh air and not feel so trapped inside. I also like to give myself small rewards (whether that be watching a show, playing a game, or buying myself something small) after I finish my hardest tasks just so I have some motivation to keep working through it.

Janna Shakiba

Postby Janna Shakiba » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 pm

I suggest using the outlook calendar on your laptop/phone. This helps me stay organized, but it also allows me to visually see chunks of time during my day that are empty for me to do whatever I want with.

Namratha Gujje

Postby Namratha Gujje » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm

I usually allow myself to do something that is completely unrelated to school for a couple of hours or even for a day. Allowing myself to focus on something that is not school and doing something that I found to be fun really helps me recollect myself and once again work hard on school items. You just have to accommodate your needs, address why you are feeling burnt out and do an activity that destresses you. Once you do that you should be able to concentrate again.

Mansi Solanki 3A

Postby Mansi Solanki 3A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm

I feel like the best way to prevent burnout is to not overexert yourself all at once and instead make a plan to distribute your work through the quarter, giving you goals that can motivate you and also keep you on track so that you do not feel like you are falling behind. Another thing that I would do is to take a break when you feel like you need it and start fresh again later.

Ryan Hoang 1D

Postby Ryan Hoang 1D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Burnouts been so hard for me. I think just taking breaks and going for walks/drives around really helps me, and is something I'd recommend. Being able to get your head out of studying all the time helps (but make sure your breaks don't turn into 2 hour youtube binges like me!)

Postby 305405193 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:12 pm

I feel so unmotivated this quarter to be honest. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but honestly I just started working out and it's a nice way to release or go running or honestly just pick up a hobby, just don't let it stop you from doing your work like me. :((

Bhuvan Kommineni 3L

Postby Bhuvan Kommineni 3L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 pm

I honestly just try to realign my prioritize something other than school for a while.

DominicMalilay 1F

Postby DominicMalilay 1F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Good question. I have been using study breaks every 30 minutes or so for 5 minutes, and then going back to work!

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 pm

Burn out has been really tough on me lately and the only thing that has helped is relaxing and watching netflix and reading.

LReedy_3C

Postby LReedy_3C » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 pm

Set activities that aren't school have been super helpful for me, and setting time as a break to do something like go for a walk or watch an entire movie at one time instead of just going on my phone randomly while I'm working has really helped me be more productive during time when I'm working and more refreshed when I'm not. Winter quarter's always rough though.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:44 pm

Zoom University has definitely caused a lot of burnout for me. I would suggest taking some time each day, even for 30 minutes, to just watch tv or listen to some relaxing music to unwind.

Xinyu Li 1C

Postby Xinyu Li 1C » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pm

I have to admit that it's been a pretty tough quarter. I'm a premed so I like to watch medical dramas or read doctor stories to deal with burnouts. It's like rediscovering why I wanted to be a doctor and how much this means to me. I also like to exercise. It resets my mood and helps me find the motivation to start studying.

Kelly Ha 1K

Postby Kelly Ha 1K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Winter quarter was pretty rough for me to be honest, but trying to stay positive! Lately I've been trying to plan out my day on the Google Calendar app with the tasks I need to complete by the end of the day and it has helped me prioritize and visualize my assignments and studying periods. I also make sure to include breaks throughout the day to listen to music, take a walk outside, or talk with friends.

Hasan Mirza 3F

Postby Hasan Mirza 3F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:53 pm

I've been experiencing a lot of burnout as well, so I appreciate the advice!

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 pm

I feel this too :( I just get plenty of rest and just commit to a schedule of doing things that need to be done.

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 pm

I've been trying to have a set schedule and routine that I go through, that way I am not as stressed and overwhelmed by everything that comes my way during the quarter.

Cora Chun 2D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Cora Chun 2D » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:41 am

Honestly, just allowing yourself to take time for self-care and relaxing really helps. I feel like last quarter I was overwhelmed because I didn't give myself enough breaks, because I thought breaks took away from time I could use to be "productive." However, from personal experience, giving yourself breaks really helps you spend the time that you do use to be productive efficiently.

You know it's a good time for a break if you're doing work and can't stop thinking to yourself how nice it would be to watch this movie, read this book, go outside for a run, etc. If this is what your brain is telling you to do, TAKE THE BREAK. You come back to your work so much more refreshed and ready to be productive. Pushing through while exhausted is not helpful to your learning, you get the most out of your work and studying if you are mentally ready to tackle it

Will Pham 1J

Postby Will Pham 1J » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm

This quarter's been pretty tough taking it online. I try to remind myself that the quarter will go by faster than I expect it to and I just need to take it one day at at time. It's also important to make sure to give yourself breaks and time to just relax instead of grinding all day. I also try to remind myself that online school will (hopefully) be over soon

Postby 505598869 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Something that has been working for me is setting a timer for an hour (or less) and working until it rings and then giving myself a 15-30 min break and repeating that. This helps me stay focused and make the most of my time.

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 pm

I feel the same way. This quarter has been tough :(

I try my best to leave a day off academic workload and just focus on things I enjoy doing and not being too harsh on myself.

Marley Magee 3A

Postby Marley Magee 3A » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:17 pm

I can definitely relate, this quarter has been rough.
Honestly my only motivation right now that's getting me through this is that it's almost over, which I think is an important reminder for yourself. There's not that much more to go, so you might as well just give it your all now so you can rest easy during break.

Presley Gao 2C

Postby Presley Gao 2C » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 pm

Personally, to deal with burnout, I generally try to plan out my week so that I can distribute my workload more efficiently. In addition, setting time to exercise and relax certainly does wonders as this allows for better and mental health as well as a break of school.

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:17 pm

When I am burnt out, I usually just sit in my room and listen to music to calm down

Chesca Legaspi 2E

Postby Chesca Legaspi 2E » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Honestly take a day off. I've been exhausting myself nonstop the past three weeks so yesterday I took the entire day to just chill in my room and binged all of WandaVision. Although I felt slightly guilty since we literally have a final this week, it was necessary. So just know that it's okay to take breaks and time for yourself when you need it!

Jonathan3B

Postby Jonathan3B » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Its pretty tough but I would say making sure you take care of yourself, making sure you are eating, drinking, and sleeping enough will help you feel more refreshed and ready to work.

alexandralopez 3F

Postby alexandralopez 3F » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 pm

I try and schedule a list of things to do for the whole week at the beginning of the week in order to keep myself spread out over the week in order to avoid burnout

Sondia Luong 1C

Postby Sondia Luong 1C » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks for posting this! I've definitely been feeling burnt out now that we're at the end of the quarter, so it's nice to know I'm not alone and to read about ways everyone else has been dealing with this! I think taking time off from school work is important, although sometimes I find it hard to start working again. When this happens I usually force myself to stay away from distractions and try my best to get through the goals I've set for the day.

Serena Song 1A

Postby Serena Song 1A » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm

I feel like burnout has definitely hit me hard these past few weeks. I've been finding it hard to actually take the time and learn the material instead of just taking notes head empty. A method that works for me is to write out a list of tasks on a sticky sticky note and then crossing them off as I finish them! It also helps to do smaller quicker tasks first so that you more productive! But also, don't feel bad if you need a break and just take care of yourself. It's been a tough few weeks, and winter quarter is always the worst. Good luck everyone!

Kyla Villarama 1E

Postby Kyla Villarama 1E » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:47 pm

It comforts me a little to know we all feel like this haha. I like to take a day to relax and watch some comfort shows when things feel really overwhelming.

Jaclyn Dang 3B

Postby Jaclyn Dang 3B » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:09 pm

two words: Retail Therapy

Karl Yost 1L

Postby Karl Yost 1L » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:24 pm

I tell myself that if I finish my work, I can play minecraft. If not, I can't play. As silly as it sounds, it's crazy effective!

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:57 am

I've definitely been feeling the burnout :( What I've been doing is switching up my studying space. When I start to get distracted or bored, I'll move into a different room to do my work for 1-2 hours before moving back. Another thing that really helps me is planning out a schedule so I know what exactly I want to get done for the day and by what time. I also always set aside at least 2 hours at the end of the day for down time!

Liam Bertrand 3

Postby Liam Bertrand 3 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:16 am

Its hard for me to stay motivated when I'm just sitting at my desk, I miss walking to campus and sitting in a lecture hall a lot more than I thought I would.

OmarArafat_2K

Postby OmarArafat_2K » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 am

I strongly recommend relaxing while studying. Drink water, eat snacks, maybe turn on some classical music, and always take some breaks to go outside and walk!

Keeryth Sandhu 1H

Postby Keeryth Sandhu 1H » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:27 am

I definitely add breaks while studying and on Sunday, I took a longer break than usual to recharge and avoid feeling burnt out during the week

FrancescaHawkins2H

Postby FrancescaHawkins2H » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 am

Personally I think the biggest cause of burnout has been the lack of separation between study time and relaxation time. Because of this, I have tried to limit myself to doing all my work at my desk and only relaxing on the couch or my bed. I have also been struggling to justify taking breaks and letting myself rest, but I have found that working out and spending time outdoors have helped a lot with my mentality this quarter.

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:50 am

Kiana Tashakori 1D wrote:I really like using a planner to split up the work I have to do. It makes it easier to manage everything and keep myself from burning out because I can complete smaller tasks over time rather than having a huge amount of work to complete at once.

Planner totally saved my life this quarter. Makes everything feel much more manageable

Randi Ruelas 1G

Postby Randi Ruelas 1G » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 am

Personally, I try to give myself relaxing weekends to stay motivated during the week, also disciplining myself to stick to what is important on my planner helps. Getting stuff done little by little and still giving myself time to relax.

Devan Nathu - 2H

Postby Devan Nathu - 2H » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:25 am

Burnout normally hits me when I get a lot of deadlines at once. Normally the satisfaction of finishing my assignments satisfies my burnout but if that doesnt work I rough out all my work and then just sleep. As much. as. possible!

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:42 am

Have a lot of sleep!

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 am

I'm gonna be honest I really enjoyed reading most of y'all's answers because throughout the quarter it's been difficult dealing with burnout, and I feel like the burnout from fall quarter carried over personally, so it just feel like no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of it. I'm going to try some of these, thank you everyone :')

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”